National News Official 2019 General Election Thread

"Many years ago there was an Emperor so exceedingly fond of new clothes that he spent all his money on being well dressed. He cared nothing about reviewing his soldiers, going to the theatre, or going for a ride in his carriage, except to show off his new clothes. He had a coat for every hour of the day, and instead of saying, as one might, about any other ruler, "The King's in council," here they always said. "The Emperor's in his dressing room."

In the great city where he lived, life was always gay. Every day many strangers came to town, and among them one day came two swindlers. They let it be known they were weavers, and they said they could weave the most magnificent fabrics imaginable. Not only were their colors and patterns uncommonly fine, but clothes made of this cloth had a wonderful way of becoming invisible to anyone who was unfit for his office, or who was unusually stupid.

"Those would be just the clothes for me," thought the Emperor. "If I wore them I would be able to discover which men in my empire are unfit for their posts. And I could tell the wise men from the fools. Yes, I certainly must get some of the stuff woven for me right away." He paid the two swindlers a large sum of money to start work at once......................."

And the Labour Party rolled on............... ?

It’ll need more than a couple of days to help it along, but there does seem a new optimism which could well result in markets doing really well.
I’m looking to the future. As I mentioned a hung parliament would have been a terrible thing for the markets in my view. The uncertainty seems to be out of the way.
Hopefully, next year I can get back to watching football on a regular basis and only being a short drive away.
Up 200 points today??

Looking at the Twitter feeds of the likes of Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar, they just don't get it, still. A 10 minute review of polling data lays out the parties problem.

I see Lisa Nandy has put herself forward for the leadership of Labour, but I suspect her criticisms of the leader and party in the past few years have marked her out as a troublemaker - and her being northern won't help. But she is a more nuanced politician than the likes of Burgon who understands the lost heartlands.

As for the Tories, it's time to stop the talk now and do what they said they will. They have to deliver and they have no stoppers in parliament in the likes of Bercow et al to blame if stuff goes wrong or gets delayed. There are no excuses now.

Just reflecting on the past few years, where we would be if Parliament had approved May's deal? I wasn't the only one who suggested that it would be the best deal Remainers would get, and it turns out we were right on that. No Deal is ironically, still there...

Sargon of Akkad did a good evaluation of Jones and Sarkar's positions today/yesterday. On YouTube.

I think everyone can (or at least should) accept that Labour is deep in the doldrums, with a leadership that still doesn't really believe it needs to apologise for the debacle.

Keep your eye on Wes Streeting, 36 year old Labour MP for Ilford North. Possibly a future leader, certainly a future shadow cabinet member. Talks intelligently, humbly and modestly and I found myself agreeing with everything he's said in the media over the last couple of days. A rare jewel in a party that needs to rebuild around his ilk.

Saw him on a political show over the weekend. He was brilliant, to be fair.

I think everyone can (or at least should) accept that Labour is deep in the doldrums, with a leadership that still doesn't really believe it needs to apologise for the debacle.

Keep your eye on Wes Streeting, 36 year old Labour MP for Ilford North. Possibly a future leader, certainly a future shadow cabinet member. Talks intelligently, humbly and modestly and I found myself agreeing with everything he's said in the media over the last couple of days. A rare jewel in a party that needs to rebuild around his ilk.
I said exactly the same on Friday Pete.
Here's what I put.
I saw Wes Streeting interviewed this P.M and he said more or less the same. He can't stand Corbyn and has spoken out about him before. A very clued up young(36) politician who could be a future leader if Labour take the right path and ditch unpalatable far left policies.

If not him then Dan Jarvis or Lisa Nandy.

Dan Jarvis has a good background having backed Owen Smith last time round. He lost his first wife to cancer at a young age, so he might not put his name forward yet.
Caroline Flint is very articulate but of course lost her seat last week. I’m surprised Emily Thornberry is considering legal action against her for what might have been said between them.
Wes Streeting comes across very well Too.
If these politicians get involved in front line politics I feel we might have a better opposition than we’ve had for a while

In the dying embers of the General Election thread I thought this graphic might be of interest. It is a football forum after all!

The football league clubs of England & Wales by constituency of 2019 GE. L/R reflects the 2016 referendum result.

The Premier League and Championship dominated by Labour (red)
League 2 & National League mainly Conservative (blue)
League 1 pretty much spilt 50/50.

Not overly surprising really, the big city clubs are mostly to be found in the top 2 divisions which is where the traditional Labour vote is strongest.

In the dying embers of the General Election thread I thought this graphic might be of interest. It is a football forum after all!

The football league clubs of England & Wales by constituency of 2019 GE. L/R reflects the 2016 referendum result.

Not overly surprising really, the big city clubs are mostly to be found in the top 2 divisions which is where the traditional Labour vote is strongest.
I wonder what the league colour ratings would look like for “ foul, despicable and utterance of phrases you wouldn’t air anywhere elsewhere” look like ? ?

Looks like promotion to the championship is a reality based on that, after all oxford east, where the u's play home games is a labour seat (and stronghold) ;)

I trust weren’t any recently signed up narcissistic momentum outrider fools on the Yellows Forum General Election Thread, just die hard OUFC fans who popped over from the matchday thread every now and then to comment on Boris, Jeremy & Jo.;)
Oh, Yellow River, you really know how to cut to the core of the issue.

Looks like promotion to the championship is a reality based on that, after all oxford east, where the u's play home games is a labour seat (and stronghold) ;)

Interestingly League 1 was very strongly ‘leave’ in the 2016 referendum.

OUFC (Ox East) one of the few ‘remain’ from the division.

A lovely Brexit Christmas.

Those classic English things like the birth of Jesus... oh, wait

Christmas trees... oh, wait

Santa Claus... oh, wait

Turkey Christmas dinner... oh, wait

Still, get those foreign influences out of our life, right?

Back
Top Bottom