General Offensive ........ really?

But why does it matter if they’ve changed a name of a sweet? Why does it affect, worry, bother, stress, upset you? If they changed, say, the name of Maltesers to something else for literally any reason I wouldn’t give the tiniest, tiniest flying f**k

It's the "why" they changed it.

Midget Gem as a name of a sweet is not offensive.

Abusing a disability is.

The two are not connected unless you are a word fascist.

In other word fascism news, Rev Richard Coles has been censored for discussing "faggots and peas" in a Black Country discussion. 🤷‍♀️

Context - a word some need to learn.

Remember the brouhaha about Opal Fruits before they were renamed Starbursts - and it wasn't the Opals leading the commotion.....

Last edited:

Abusing a disability is.

In other word fascism news, Rev Richard Coles has been censored for discussing "faggots and peas" in a Black Country discussion. 🤷‍♀️

a search for richard coles faggots & peas only comes up with a 5 year old tweeted photo. do you have a link?

Abusing a disability is.

You were born too late. You would have loved being old and ignorant in the 70s.

I can only see one person getting all frothy on this thread [emoji38]
futurama-philip-j-fry.gif

Abusing a disability is.

Ok. But there are worse things going on in the world! If changing the name of a sweet makes a few people feel better then… where’s the harm?

Ok. But there are worse things going on in the world! If changing the name of a sweet makes a few people feel better then… where’s the harm?

It's simple, in context, the word is not offensive.

There are many words that have multiple meanings and the context/meaning of the delivery is everything.

I'm not sure what is more pathetic. Complaining about the name of midget gems, or being triggered by those who are?

Abusing a disability is.

The reason they are changing the name is because of Capitalism. If they think the term midget could potentially hurt sales, it will be changed. Simple as that!!

It’s all about the Bottom Line.

The reason they are changing the name is because of Capitalism. If they think the term midget could potentially hurt sales, it will be changed. Simple as that!!

It’s all about the Bottom Line.

Absolutely this.

Some simply prefer to believe there's a PC army who are forcing the capitalist hands though.

Whatever makes people (un)happy I guess.

Absolutely this.

Some simply prefer to believe there's a PC army who are forcing the capitalist hands though.

Whatever makes people (un)happy I guess.
I suppose it’s a conflict of interest in their heads.
Some people are always very pro Capitalism when it suits them, but need a lefty scapegoat conspiracy when it does something they don’t approve of. It’s because they see everything as binary.

Capitalism like anything else doesn’t have to be viewed through a prism of purely brilliant or an extreme evil. It has positive and negative aspects. It has the potential to enrich or damage communities and should be handled with care.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is more pathetic. Complaining about the name of midget gems, or being triggered by those who are?

Action one, complaining, leads to action two and folk saying it is tipping the see-saw too far the other way.

Nothing to do with being "triggered" its to do with the inbalance and pandering to anyone who is "offended" by whatever.

A milk company once printed the name of its cows on the bottle - that was called out as offensive to feminists as all the names were female...... well why is that?

And so it goes on and, the more specific you make the parameters of life, the more people are excluded and if they are now going for words we are all finished!

Action one, complaining, leads to action two and folk saying it is tipping the see-saw too far the other way.

Nothing to do with being "triggered" its to do with the inbalance and pandering to anyone who is "offended" by whatever.

A milk company once printed the name of its cows on the bottle - that was called out as offensive to feminists as all the names were female...... well why is that?

And so it goes on and, the more specific you make the parameters of life, the more people are excluded and if they are now going for words we are all finished!
If you were the CEO of that Milk company. Would you ignore the complaints and leave the names on the bottles out of principle? Or would you remove the names to make sure you maximise your sales?

If you’d rather leave the names on, good luck explaining that to your shareholders!
I think they might suggest you were unfit to hold your position in the company.

You meant this one right? One young person complaining daftly -

Now here’s a proper cow-related feminism screw-up:

If you were the CEO of that Milk company. Would you ignore the complaints and leave the names on the bottles out of principle? Or would you remove the names to make sure you maximise your sales?

If you’d rather leave the names on, good luck explaining that to your shareholders!
I think they might suggest you were unfit to hold your position in the company.

There is no such thing as bad publicity they used to say................. :)

Back
Top Bottom