General Now or 5 years ago?

Given a straight choice would you prefer today's team or the team that beat Swansea 5 years ago? ?

• Today's

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Five years ago

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I’d prefer Baldock Lundstram, Roofe and possibly Maguire in today’s team.

Not sure that Skarz would be better than Seddon to be honest.

Moore and Thorniley better than Mullins and Wright. Kane and/or Brannagan better than Sercombe.

Matt Taylor better than Ryan Taylor and Sykes better than MacDonald.

Eastwood far superior to Buchel and Slocombe.

I can’t believe that was 5 years ago. That game really showed what an excellent team Appleton had built. And despite one or two bumps in the road, it’s been an uphill trajectory since then. I agree with Westoxon U’s point about Baldock, Lundstram and Roofe in today’s team, but in general, we’re a far superior outfit.

I’d prefer Baldock Lundstram, Roofe and possibly Maguire in today’s team.

Not sure that Skarz would be better than Seddon to be honest.

Moore and Thorniley better than Mullins and Wright. Kane and/or Brannagan better than Sercombe.

Matt Taylor better than Ryan Taylor and Sykes better than MacDonald.

Eastwood far superior to Buchel and Slocombe.
Yes but look at the subs! O'Dowda, Hylton, Dunkley.

Eastwood
Baldock Moore thorniley Seddon
Kane lundstram brannigan
Sykes Taylor roofe
This team wins league one
Subs
Stevens dunks Whyte hylton o'dowda gorrin long Henry

I think I'd have Skarz for his defensive capabilities or Ruffs over Seddon as having a more defensive left back is what gave Gorgeous George the freedom to attack down the right.

I assume the OP is speaking relatively rather than literally, given several members of that team v Swansea are retired and a few others are now only a couple of years off.

The “old” team, because there was proper balls and big characters as well as bags of ability. That’s been missing for the last several seasons and is the key to turning coming close into actually achieving and getting over the line, at any level. Mackie was that type, but he couldn’t actually play football anymore for much of his time in yellow. That was the problem.

Wright, Mullins, Baldock, MacDonald, Maguire, Hylton… big characters, big personalities and all in their prime. That’s without considering the fact that players like Roofe, Lundstram and O’Dowda (wasted his potential, that lad) were head and shoulders above any player outside of the Championship in terms of raw ability. We were very lucky to have that for a glorious moment.

The goalkeepers, though… christ. An average, bog standard keeper instead of those two muppets and we would’ve broken 100 points in the league and finished above Northampton, despite their total. So many clangers.

Bit of a side question......

......but comparing the teams, and thinking it through......how many great left backs have we ever had?

Don't get me wrong, we've had a bunch of perfectly decent ones - Skarz, Ruffs & Seddon on this thread for starters.
But I've been going to games since the early 90s, and I'm struggling to think who would play in my personal all time Oxford XI there. Probably Mike Ford (was considering Paul Powell from the 99/00 season.....but if I remember correctly, he played a lot of that season on the left wing [while keeping us up almost single-handed])

Feels like we've had a lot more great fullbacks on the right-hand side.

......but comparing the teams, and thinking it through......how many great left backs have we ever had?

Don't get me wrong, we've had a bunch of perfectly decent ones - Skarz, Ruffs & Seddon on this thread for starters.
But I've been going to games since the early 90s, and I'm struggling to think who would play in my personal all time Oxford XI there. Probably Mike Ford (was considering Paul Powell from the 99/00 season.....but if I remember correctly, he played a lot of that season on the left wing [while keeping us up almost single-handed])

From before you time watching but Bobby McDonald and Neil Slatter.

Edit: And how can't you include Alex Jeannin? :ROFLMAO:

David Bardsley, Bobby McDonald, and Neil Slatter were the first names that came to my mind, but they are all in the 80s...

So I guess I agree with your thoughts...

David Bardsley was a right back.
That'll be my old brain, Im sure I can see him going down the left... 😂 And now you've brought it up, I'm sure I remember being corrected about it before on here 😂