Championship Notts F v Sheff u

Apparently Oli Macburnie stamping on a Notts Forest fan, hopefully it was the one that attacked his teammate. Seems to be some fisticuffs before from fans but who knows

Can I just ask what is the difference between a Sheffield United player ( kicking or stamping) on a person on the floor to what that thug done to Billy sharp surely they should both be facing punishment btw I don't condone what that thug did to sharp but you can clearly see he had a yellow top on the bloke on the floor has a red top on

Can I just ask what is the difference between a Sheffield United player ( kicking or stamping) on a person on the floor to what that thug done to Billy sharp surely they should both be facing punishment btw I don't condone what that thug did to sharp but you can clearly see he had a yellow top on the bloke on the floor has a red top on

One difference is likely to be context. Billy Sharpe was presenting no risk to anyone and wasn't even looking at the perpetrator. It is likely that the Sheffield United player had either been assaulted or feared assault and could have lawful used force to protect himself or others.

Without further evidence this is all speculation of course.

One difference is likely to be context. Billy Sharpe was presenting no risk to anyone and wasn't even looking at the perpetrator. It is likely that the Sheffield United player had either been assaulted or feared assault and could have lawful used force to protect himself or others.

Surely there can't be a claim of lawfully used force if someone is on the floor and you walk up and either stamp or kick them
I dunno

I'm not condoning any of it but the fact is the pitch is the players work place and there is zero protection for the players when it comes to pitch invasions. Huddersfield v Luton game one of the Huddersfield fans slapped the Luton player round the back of the head too.

An organised pitch invasion 2 minutes after the final whistle where it allows the officials and opposition players to exit the field would stop all these incidents.

Maybe an agreement needs to be made that the ref takes the ball, players follow, then blows the FT whistle once all are down the tunnel?

As you say would need to know what happened before which with the editing we don't see.

Surely there can't be a claim of lawfully used force if someone is on the floor and you walk up and either stamp or kick them
I dunno
It's entirely down to context. If someone is lying peaceful on the floor and someone walks over and stamps on them then it's going to take one hell of a lawyer to get you off.

If on the other hand, you have been assaulted and fearing further assault, throw/push that person to the floor and administer a single blow (punch, kick, stamp) in order to incapacitate the individual, then that could be argued as reasonable force and is entirely lawful.

Context is key.

Looks like the EFL aren’t gong to show to much B*****s when punishing Nottingham Forrest.

The EFL condemned the pitch invasion at Forest and has warned it could consider measures including capacity reductions, should such similar occurrences happen in future.

Not to sure Oli MacBurnie could claim this as self defence.

Proportional Response​

Self-defense law requires the response to match the level of the threat in question. In other words, a person can only employ as much force as required to remove the threat. If the threat involves deadly force, the person defending themselves can use deadly force to counteract the threat. If, however, the threat involves only minor force and the person claiming self-defense uses force that could cause grievous bodily harm or death, the claim of self-defense will fail.

24 weeks jail ... a smallish ( for the crime) fine/ compensation fee and a 10 year banning order
I think he got off lightly

conversely ... should someone get caught with a bit of powder (for personal use) in a pocket in/around a football match and its a 3-5 year banning order + fine ? ..... shouldn't a similar 'ban' be applied to those in Westminster doing exactly the same, - such as a particularly poor impressionist who appeared to be 'charlied up' on a live tv interview?

2 Sheffield United players now under FA investigations for assault on Forest fans.

The videos are not a good look for Brewster & Oli McBurnie. Doesn’t look like ‘self defence’ to me

Unimpressed with the stewarding. Why didn't they at least create a decent sized 'safe zone' for the players from the supporters so they are separate? It isn't as though the pitch invasion would come as a surprise when the home team wins and if it didn't materialise then they'd have at least been prepared.

Whilst again it doesn't look good, it is still only part of the story with what happened before that not shown.

Last edited:
Can understand why fences were so prevalent in the past to keep fans off the pitch . Surely only a matter of time before a serious injury happens . Not saying we should bring them back but its starting to be the ' norm ' to invade the pitch and sadly get confrontational rather than celebratory.

Bottom left, geezer in the red shirt behind the guy in the fetching striped ensemble?

Back
Top Bottom