Championship Nottingham forest

Whilst not wanting to take the sheen off Forest's European success one bit, they achieved their wins when it was achievable for a club of their size and stature to do so. It was great for them but there's no hope of that happening now. The cards are stacked very much in favour of the big clubs. The European Cup giving way to the Champions League and the PL breakaway in the 1990s and 'Project Big Picture' and the ESL movements more recently show that those pulling the strings want a less egalitarian league structure and to make life that little bit easier for the 'big' clubs. There's a cabal of clubs - well, billionaire club owners - who simply don't want to see anyone 'do a Leicester' ever again because it encroaches on 'their' turf.

Your point about it being an impossible legacy is a good one though. It's just about recent enough to still be in many fans' memories but starting to fade away away as the current two or even three generations of Forest fans take their place who have known nothing but second (and third) tier football. The Championship is a beast of a division. Money is thrown around at a ridiculous level to get to the untold wealth of the PL - £15k a week is the average Championship salary for a player - so many are paying way over the odds to get there. Some like Millwall and Barnsley are happy to tread water as they don't have the clout to go much further, not Forest still cling to the idea that they can be a PL club and the culture of desperation to get there has seen this ludicrous managerial firing and hiring policy.

It's one of the reasons why I'm quite content in League 1. Seven 'new' teams to play each season, the EFL Trophy for the youth/development teams, decent enough football and without a carrot of the PL in place it means we largely spend without our means. Of course I'd take promotion but I wouldn't want us trying to go toe-to-toe with the big players if it any way jeopardised the club. We've been there before in recent memory and I don't fancy dusting off any FOUL letterheads any time soon.
Indeed, I'm sometimes puzzled by the people who seem angry and upset that we haven't been promoted. It would be great fun to go up and obvs financially beneficial but I'm not sure it would necessarily prove more enjoyable than where we are now, unless we really did somehow mount a promotion challenge without spending madly. I wonder if fans of Millwall, Luton, and Barnsley are happier than us or not?

Every fan wants some potential success or what is there to look forward to or the point?

Forest is just another timely reminder of just how wide the gap is between the Elite and the rest,some of them wonderful decent clubs. There is an Elite 5/6 followed by another 5/6 that never flirt with relegation and then the rest go about their season in survival mode which includes those coming up from the Championship.
Everything is dictated by the crazy amounts of money in the top flight where to a large extent finishing 4th is seen as a successful season and actual winning something like the Domestic cups means so little as seen by teams put out and sparse crowds throughout the country in those competitions.

There was a time when if you finished some 20+ points from top spot you failed and it would be addressed but now it matters not because you are rewarded with vast sums of money that a 4th place finish gets you.

This also applies further down the pyramid where a 6th place finish can see you rewarded with a promotion regardless of how many points you are from the auto promotion places.

Those big clubs of past years some of whom are now with us are never going to have opportunity to achieve again at the top table, that of course matters not to the Owners who only care about the cash windfall each season and is why many clubs are throwing money at it like confetti in the Championship.

Every fan wants some potential success or what is there to look forward to or the point?

Forest is just another timely reminder of just how wide the gap is between the Elite and the rest,some of them wonderful decent clubs. There is an Elite 5/6 followed by another 5/6 that never flirt with relegation and then the rest go about their season in survival mode which includes those coming up from the Championship.
Everything is dictated by the crazy amounts of money in the top flight where to a large extent finishing 4th is seen as a successful season and actual winning something like the Domestic cups means so little as seen by teams put out and sparse crowds throughout the country in those competitions.

There was a time when if you finished some 20+ points from top spot you failed and it would be addressed but now it matters not because you are rewarded with vast sums of money that a 4th place finish gets you.

This also applies further down the pyramid where a 6th place finish can see you rewarded with a promotion regardless of how many points you are from the auto promotion places.

Those big clubs of past years some of whom are now with us are never going to have opportunity to achieve again at the top table, that of course matters not to the Owners who only care about the cash windfall each season and is why many clubs are throwing money at it like confetti in the Championship.
Yes obvs you need to look forward to possible success, I was just wondering how much more fun it would turn out to be in the championship drawing with Millwall and Barnsley. I guess once you were established and felt you could stay up your aspirations would be towards the PL which would be very exciting even if unrealistic.

Whilst not wanting to take the sheen off Forest's European success one bit, they achieved their wins when it was achievable for a club of their size and stature to do so. It was great for them but there's no hope of that happening now. The cards are stacked very much in favour of the big clubs. The European Cup giving way to the Champions League and the PL breakaway in the 1990s and 'Project Big Picture' and the ESL movements more recently show that those pulling the strings want a less egalitarian league structure and to make life that little bit easier for the 'big' clubs. There's a cabal of clubs - well, billionaire club owners - who simply don't want to see anyone 'do a Leicester' ever again because it encroaches on 'their' turf.

Your point about it being an impossible legacy is a good one though. It's just about recent enough to still be in many fans' memories but starting to fade away away as the current two or even three generations of Forest fans take their place who have known nothing but second (and third) tier football. The Championship is a beast of a division. Money is thrown around at a ridiculous level to get to the untold wealth of the PL - £15k a week is the average Championship salary for a player - so many are paying way over the odds to get there. Some like Millwall and Barnsley are happy to tread water as they don't have the clout to go much further, but Forest still cling to the idea that they can be a PL club and the culture of desperation to get there has seen this ludicrous managerial firing and hiring policy.

It's one of the reasons why I'm quite content in League 1. Seven 'new' teams to play each season, the EFL Trophy for the youth/development teams, decent enough football and without a carrot of the PL in place it means we largely spend without our means. Of course I'd take promotion but I wouldn't want us trying to go toe-to-toe with the big players if it any way jeopardised the club. We've been there before in recent memory and I don't fancy dusting off any FOUL letterheads any time soon.

How many other clubs of Forest size did achieve it though? Greatest achievement in English football for me, although I do get your point about it being beyond impossible now with the biggest clubs actively working against it now. Leicesters title was miraculous enough, we will probably never see even that again.

It would be genuinely surprising if Tottenham won the premier league someday and they are one of the biggest clubs in the country, which shows how the cards are stacked now.

We benefit as a club from playing the best and strongest football system in the world, but it obviously makes pushing upwards very hard and you have to weight your opinions with that in mind, being at the top end of the third tier in English football is the equivalent of being at the top of the second tier (and higher) every and anywhere else in the world.

How many other clubs of Forest size did achieve it though? Greatest achievement in English football for me, although I do get your point about it being beyond impossible now with the biggest clubs actively working against it now. Leicesters title was miraculous enough, we will probably never see even that again.

It would be genuinely surprising if Tottenham won the premier league someday and they are one of the biggest clubs in the country, which shows how the cards are stacked now.

We benefit as a club from playing the best and strongest football system in the world, but it obviously makes pushing upwards very hard and you have to weight your opinions with that in mind, being at the top end of the third tier in English football is the equivalent of being at the top of the second tier (and higher) every and anywhere else in the world.
I don't think the Owners of clubs like Tottenham Everton and the like ever believe their club will win the League and their players know it, the issue is the individual star or potential star of those clubs are only ever seeking their next move or invent stories with their agents to get hefty pay rises.

West Brom were once the butt of everyone's jokes as they were seen as just a yo yo club but i bet the fans of many other clubs would now gladly swap with them and Fulham look like they could be the next to enter the yo yo club.

Indeed, I'm sometimes puzzled by the people who seem angry and upset that we haven't been promoted. It would be great fun to go up and obvs financially beneficial but I'm not sure it would necessarily prove more enjoyable than where we are now, unless we really did somehow mount a promotion challenge without spending madly. I wonder if fans of Millwall, Luton, and Barnsley are happier than us or not?
You’re right. Let’s just stay here.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm wondering how much more fun it would be as a supporter. The periods I've enjoyed most haven't always tallied with highest league positions.
Personally I would find it hugely more enjoyable.
Full houses and every game a 'big' game.
Going to some large stadiums I have never been to before (mainly because Oxford haven't played some of these teams for donkeys of years)
The whole point of the pyramid is to go up it as far as possible. With the wealthy owners we have, and if we invest wisely (more Brentford than Nottingham Forest) , who knows how we could do in the Championship. Hell even Wycombe were within a couple of points from staying up!

Yes obvs you need to look forward to possible success, I was just wondering how much more fun it would turn out to be in the championship drawing with Millwall and Barnsley. I guess once you were established and felt you could stay up your aspirations would be towards the PL which would be very exciting even if unrealistic.
I think the Owners and fans would see it as more fun if the Likes of Pompey Sheff Wed and Sunderland joined them

Personally I would find it hugely more enjoyable.
Full houses and every game a 'big' game.
Going to some large stadiums I have never been to before (mainly because Oxford haven't played some of these teams for donkeys of years)
The whole point of the pyramid is to go up it as far as possible. With the wealthy owners we have, and if we invest wisely (more Brentford than Nottingham Forest) , who knows how we could do in the Championship. Hell even Wycombe were within a couple of points from staying up!
Charlton were Goal difference from being in the play offs but like Wycombe were actual never in the equation

Hopefully they come in for Gareth Ainsworth. At least we wouldn‘t have to put up with his brand of football anymore.
Nigel Adkins will be on borrowed time at Charlton so maybe him

From billy davies being appointed in 2011 (10 years ago ) they’ve had 19 managers that’s crazy

Constantly changing managers means that are constantly changing players too. They have signed over 100 players since the start of the 17/18 season! That’s just four years.
Basket case club, it’s amazing that ANYONE with any self esteem would take on the manager role there.

Constantly changing managers means that are constantly changing players too. They have signed over 100 players since the start of the 17/18 season! That’s just four years.
Basket case club, it’s amazing that ANYONE with any self esteem would take on the manager role there.
Incredible. You need a plan, and some stability. Bournemouth were still using some of the guys from their league one squad in the PL. I bet Appleton would do a good job there if the owners let him get on with it for a year or so without expecting miracles.

Hopefully they come in for Gareth Ainsworth. At least we wouldn‘t have to put up with his brand of football anymore.
Nigel Adkins will be on borrowed time at Charlton so maybe him
And Paul Cook is I think all ready on borrowed time

Incredible. You need a plan, and some stability. Bournemouth were still using some of the guys from their league one squad in the PL. I bet Appleton would do a good job there if the owners let him get on with it for a year or so without expecting miracles.
Let’s be honest here Bournemouth have cheated from the time Max Denim rolled into town and are still cheating now just can’t work out how the EFL have overlooked there FFP.

Let’s be honest here Bournemouth have cheated from the time Max Denim rolled into town and are still cheating now just can’t work out how the EFL have overlooked there FFP.

They've been s selling club since relegation from the PL and they still have parachute payments. Sold Nathan Ake for £40m iirc, Josh King and others for good money.

They've been s selling club since relegation from the PL and they still have parachute payments. Sold Nathan Ake for £40m iirc, Josh King and others for good money.
And still have a wage bill that was reported to be 85% of their income

Plus they’ve also spent big as well

Back
Top Bottom