EFL Not the Swindon Match Thread

Colin B

Chief Dot Counter
Why has the Swindon match thread been closed for replies/posts?

I went on to have a look this morning and it's closed, which I find odd, as people clearly still want to talk about it as there were over 100 posts on it yesterday alone. I know the guys who moderate this forum do it voluntarily (I presume), and thanks for that, but it's become far too regulated and anally retentive in its layout and moderating, with this appearing to be yet another example. Sorry if that's offended anybody, but it's supposed to be a football forum and a slight amount of irreverence should be expected, but honestly it feels like the fun is being sucked out of it and many of the interesting posters have voted with their feet.

And finally, as an example, I've had to "select a prefix" just to post this!!! It's becoming like filling out a bloody Tax Return.

Last edited:
Normally the preview thread for the days before a match is closed at midnight before the K.O. and a new MDT is opened.
I extended the preview thread for 1 day to allow everybody a chance to blow off steam. And as the match was cancelled there is no point in a MDT.
The MDT was never opened so it could not have been closed.
Any thread that has a limited posting life contains a warning at the top of every page when it will close.

If there are people who still have something to say about the cancellation use this thread, but it will close before the Charlton match (if that goes ahead).
Onwards to the next match folks.

Looks like you selected the wrong one, Col. Risking a ban right there.

And that's the irony my friend. I didn't want to put a stupid prefix or such like but when I tried to post it wouldn't accept my post without one from the pre-selected list. You're one of the posters I was referring to who has been noticeable by your absence Paul, I hope all is well?

I'm now expecting my house to be raided anytime soon, and to be dragged off to the YellowsForum gulag with all of the other dissenters.

Colin please don't put your lights out tonight, the lads need to make sure they don't stand on the cat when they rush in. They are cat lovers you know.

Why has the Swindon match thread been closed for replies/posts?

I went on to have a look this morning and it's closed, which I find odd, as people clearly still want to talk about it as there were over 100 posts on it yesterday alone. I know the guys who moderate this forum do it voluntarily (I presume), and thanks for that, but it's become far too regulated and anally retentive in its layout and moderating, with this appearing to be yet another example. Sorry if that's offended anybody, but it's supposed to be a football forum and a slight amount of irreverence should be expected, but honestly it feels like the fun is being sucked out of it and many of the interesting posters have voted with their feet.

And finally, as an example, I've had to "select a prefix" just to post this!!! It's becoming like filling out a bloody Tax Return.
Match day threads will now be locked a month after, with games coming thick and fast, we thought to lock them a few days after.

As for prefixes, choose general if it doesn't fit into the pre mades ones.

I wanted to reply to: @unification

Why? If PHE were the ones to say it wasn’t a go-er, what grounds would the EFL have to suddenly say that Swindon forfeited it?

Surely PHE will say person X, X and X have to isolate rather than decreeing the match must not be played.

PHE do have that power. But not sure if they use it wisely.

Normally the preview thread for the days before a match is closed at midnight before the K.O. and a new MDT is opened.
I extended the preview thread for 1 day to allow everybody a chance to blow off steam. And as the match was cancelled there is no point in a MDT.
The MDT was never opened so it could not have been closed.
Any thread that has a limited posting life contains a warning at the top of every page when it will close.

If there are people who still have something to say about the cancellation use this thread, but it will close before the Charlton match (if that goes ahead).
Onwards to the next match folks.
Out of interest Malc, why will this thread close? It isn’t a pre match or match day thread? Just a general one about a game being called off due to covid. I think interest into why this game was called off will run on longer than Tuesday.
Match threads are always at the top of the matches page so won’t get lost in the middle of other threads.
If people want to still talk about the Swindon game then let them, if people don’t want to then they don’t need to bother reading this thread.

just my opinion.

Out of interest Malc, why will this thread close? It isn’t a pre match or match day thread? Just a general one about a game being called off due to covid. I think interest into why this game was called off will run on longer than Tuesday.
Match threads are always at the top of the matches page so won’t get lost in the middle of other threads.
If people want to still talk about the Swindon game then let them, if people don’t want to then they don’t need to bother reading this thread.

just my opinion.
Normal threads should not set to auto close, not sure why this one has been.

We close Pre-Match and Match Day Threads so a match from 2 years ago isn't suddenly brought back to life.

With the EFL ‘investigation’ into the postponement apparently not concluded, the associated media response that is likely to generate when it is and the fact that, well, it’s Swindon, surely we can keep this one open until it runs out of steam?

With the EFL ‘investigation’ into the postponement apparently not concluded, the associated media response that is likely to generate when it is and the fact that, well, it’s Swindon, surely we can keep this one open until it runs out of steam?
See above.

Normal threads should not set to auto close, not sure why this one has been.

We close Pre-Match and Match Day Threads so a match from 2 years ago isn't suddenly brought back to life.
I'm even more confused now Mark!

Why is this thread "set to auto-close"? I' didn't do that, I would neither know how to, nor want to. It kind of makes my point perfectly that everything has become far too regulated. As Steve Gilbert says above, if people want to talk about this next week, next month, or next year why stop them? Surely your advertisers want traffic and it seems all of these restrictions will reduce that.

I'm really not having a pop here, but I strongly believe that the purpose of a forum is to exchange views, not shut them down, otherwise what is the point of any of us being here?

Back
Top Bottom