Norman off to Walsall

I don't know if he had an attitude problem or a problem with the manager - I'll leave that to the others here who are obviously close to day to day activities - but I don't think he's been particularly well managed.

Remember, he's another who stepped up from part-time football (Southern League If I remember) and suddenly found himself thrown in the deep-end. He played at a time when we were really s**t, as opposed to being just plain s**t, and I thought he showed a few encouraging glimpses. He was big, strong and reasonably athletic, although as you'd expect with his background, he was often caught out as well.

We then didn't see him at all, not even on the bench when we were short.

I'd guess Walsall might have been one of the clubs looking at him when he signed for us, so they probably know a bit about him.

A wasted opportunity for both parties I'd say.

Seems we've had two managers who relied much more on players they have personal experience with in prior jobs.

Pep scoured East European leagues for the players he managed in the Swedish league several years prior. While Robinson has got in Carruthers, Holmes and Kashi.

You'd assume the recruitment team flagged up Whyte, Norman, Sykes, Smith and maybe Browne. Difficult to say who wanted the likes of Mackie or Hanson.

And in between the two permanent managers, the team brought in Dickie and Brannagan. I'd say it's still a decent hit rate from the recruiters, if they exclusively got their way.

Tbf to KR, Holmes, Carruthers and Kashi had all done at least a decent job in L1 previously.

Tbf to KR, Holmes, Carruthers and Kashi had all done at least a decent job in L1 previously.
Tragically the first two have been injured in some way whether out for the first part of the season or injured from time to time to not start regularlyso with that sentwo it has been difficult for us to witness how good they are,!For me the jury is out on Kashi,!Sonwe have to see what KR can pull out of the magic hat for the remainder of this season.

Tbf, Robinson would have kept McMahon if circumstances outside of football allowed.
I think we'd have also kept Norman if we were better placed in the table. I think there is a decent player in there, but one that needs to knuckle down and play for the team a little more. Baldock was criticised for being defensively naive at times, but got away with it because he was part of a decent team. But when you need to grind out results you need to do the simply things right, and we've looked to Ruffels and Hanson whilst others have been found lacking. This is a deal which is positive for the player, manager and the club no matter how people look to spin it.

Last edited:
Seems we've had two managers who relied much more on players they have personal experience with in prior jobs.

Pep scoured East European leagues for the players he managed in the Swedish league several years prior. While Robinson has got in Carruthers, Holmes and Kashi.

You'd assume the recruitment team flagged up Whyte, Norman, Sykes, Smith and maybe Browne. Difficult to say who wanted the likes of Mackie or Hanson.

And in between the two permanent managers, the team brought in Dickie and Brannagan. I'd say it's still a decent hit rate from the recruiters, if they exclusively got their way.

Maybe the recruitment team need to be a bit firmer when it comes to transfers, but that'd be difficult if Tiger is giving KR the lead on all footballing matters.

Sam Long may not be the greatest player who has ever represented our club, but he has been loyal, always giving his all and works hard in training. In the summer he was listed as being in the top 3 for fitness.

Is that the best you can do? FFS Long's a good player who's been successful every time he's had a run in the team and had shite luck with injuries. Now our experts are judging him on a couple of performances being randomly dropped into a couple of messed-up teams selected by a nutjob. Get off the lad's back. He'll be fine at RB given a run.

Is that the best you can do? FFS Long's a good player who's been successful every time he's had a run in the team and had shite luck with injuries. Now our experts are judging him on a couple of performances being randomly dropped into a couple of messed-up teams selected by a nutjob. Get off the lad's back. He'll be fine at RB given a run.
You do realise that I wasn't getting onhis back and was actually backing the kid?! I agree that he has never let the club down but recognised that he's unlikely to be the first name on the team sheet.

It looks like Robinson is so short of money he has to shed as many players as he can in order to have any chance of bringing in a forward. It also looks as if he will have to settle for whatever is left over at the end of the season.
I base this estimate on the number of players gone (some good and some bad) and the fact that the recruitment of a forward is going to be at the end of the month. Even though the need is now desperate.

It looks like Robinson is so short of money he has to shed as many players as he can in order to have any chance of bringing in a forward. It also looks as if he will have to settle for whatever is left over at the end of the season.
I base this estimate on the number of players gone (some good and some bad) and the fact that the recruitment of a forward is going to be at the end of the month. Even though the need is now desperate.

KR is so short of money, we paid a transfer fee for Mark Sykes and Jordan Graham won't be on peanuts. I also doubt Kashi will be on peanuts either.

You do realise that I wasn't getting onhis back and was actually backing the kid?! I agree that he has never let the club down but recognised that he's unlikely to be the first name on the team sheet.

Yes, I do. Burrell will confirm that I often pick at his posts to make a general point. Other poster have been giving the lad s**t, and I felt your praise could be amplified effectively; so I did that, no offence intended :)

Yes, I do. Burrell will confirm that I often pick at his posts to make a general point. Other poster have been giving the lad s**t, and I felt your praise could be amplified effectively; so I did that, no offence intended :)
In that case, none taken!

Raglan hasn't played, Norman hasn't played, Smith wasn't any good, Mitchell wasn't needed anymore so no loss at all.

We've brought in Jordan Graham who is already looking decent, Sykes who has huge potential and Kashi was brings experience and solidity at this level.

If you can't see that we have significantly strengthened then unfortunately you really do understand very little.
That remains to be seen.

Good debate here, both sides making good points. I personally feel this will be one we look back on with regret, I thought his physique, in particular, lent itself to playing at a good level - strong and quick. Personally feel the writing has been on the wall since he was dropped for the Man City match, having been in the team consistently up til then. Maybe KR didn’t like his interview? Can’t remember it being particularly controversial though.

I think there’s also an interesting observation to be made here regarding what KR is obviously looking for in fullbacks. The fact that he’s overlooked the more modern, attacking fullback (generously, Norman and Garbutt) in favour of solid ball players (converting TWO CMs to being fullbacks) is perhaps indicative of a desire to, long term, being a solid, counter attacking team. A definite shift from the days when MApp looked to control games. Also a format that necessitates a really good target man, which adds further anxiety to the fact that we still don’t have a really dominating spearhead to our attack.

Raglan hasn't played, Norman hasn't played, Smith wasn't any good, Mitchell wasn't needed anymore so no loss at all.

We've brought in Jordan Graham who is already looking decent, Sykes who has huge potential and Kashi was brings experience and solidity at this level.

If you can't see that we have significantly strengthened then unfortunately you really do understand very little.

Think your forgetting one thing, squad size is being reduced, where are the 2-3 urgent strikers that we so desperately need, obviously not priority but has been needed since July 1st and still not solved, sorry I must been missing something but thought we were aiming for the championship, that isn’t happening from where I’m sitting, at least not at the moment and non of us should be happy being in the relegation zone because that is where we are - I think all of us would be a bit happier if there was a bit more transparency, it does seem as though more players are departing than incoming, any true supporter should not be happy with where we are at atm...................

Last edited:
Good debate here, both sides making good points. I personally feel this will be one we look back on with regret, I thought his physique, in particular, lent itself to playing at a good level - strong and quick. Personally feel the writing has been on the wall since he was dropped for the Man City match, having been in the team consistently up til then. Maybe KR didn’t like his interview? Can’t remember it being particularly controversial though.

I think there’s also an interesting observation to be made here regarding what KR is obviously looking for in fullbacks. The fact that he’s overlooked the more modern, attacking fullback (generously, Norman and Garbutt) in favour of solid ball players (converting TWO CMs to being fullbacks) is perhaps indicative of a desire to, long term, being a solid, counter attacking team. A definite shift from the days when MApp looked to control games. Also a format that necessitates a really good target man, which adds further anxiety to the fact that we still don’t have a really dominating spearhead to our attack.

Agreed on the one we will regret. Seems fairly obvious that his sudden elimination totally from the squad is not driven by pure footballing reasons. If a manager is consistent then players will have no problem with it. If not then favourites become clear. Will Gavin Whyte be in the squad tomorrow?

Think your forgetting one thing, squad size is being reduced, where are the 2-3 urgent strikers that we so desperately need, obviously not priority but has been needed since July 1st and still not solved, sorry I must been missing something but thought we were aiming for the championship, that isn’t happening from where I’m sitting, at least not at the moment and non of us should be happy being in the relegation zone because that is where we are - I think all of us would be a bit happier if there was a bit more transparency but it done seem as though more players are departing than incoming, any true supporter should not be happy with where we are at atm...................

Don’t think anyone’s aiming for the championship this season? ?

Think your forgetting one thing, squad size is being reduced, where are the 2-3 urgent strikers that we so desperately need, obviously not priority but has been needed since July 1st and still not solved, sorry I must been missing something but thought we were aiming for the championship, that isn’t happening from where I’m sitting, at least not at the moment and non of us should be happy being in the relegation zone because that is where we are - I think all of us would be a bit happier if there was a bit more transparency but it done seem as though more players are departing than incoming, any true supporter should not be happy with where we are at atm...................
Players who have left were not going to play, and those who have come in will make a difference. Being happy with where we are has nothing to do with recognising that (all things considered) this has been a far more positive transfer window than many were expecting. Browne is staying, Nelson appears to be too. We have Jordan Graham who is looking close to the form we saw previously, Sykes who has promise and Kashi who adds experience. Those who have left offered jack all!

And I know we need a striker! @bazzer9461 mentions it every 15 minutes!!! But as (nearly) everyone knows, you pick up players when they become available not based on need. We still have 2 weeks so try not to worry yourself just yet!

Players who have left were not going to play, and those who have come in will make a difference. Being happy with where we are has nothing to do with recognising that (all things considered) this has been a far more positive transfer window than many were expecting. Browne is staying, Nelson appears to be too. We have Jordan Graham who is looking close to the form we saw previously, Sykes who has promise and Kashi who adds experience. Those who have left offered jack all!

And I know we need a striker! [USER=38]@bazzer9461[/USER] mentions it every 15 minutes!!! But as (nearly) everyone knows, you pick up players when they become available not based on need. We still have 2 weeks so try not to worry yourself just yet!

Me think someone is telling porkies ??? 30 minutes if you don’t mind... oh and yes we still need a couple of strikers!!!!

Back
Top Bottom