'No shows' killing the hospitality business?

Pete Burrett

Listening to an interesting debate on national radio. Apparently 'no shows' without explanation have been a major problem since restaurants reopened, particularly as capacity is restricted.

Some people are booking multiple different restaurants then deciding which one to attend.

Normally, no shows might indicate rudeness or ignorance. Now they are affecting businesses' profitability as no shows can't be replaced by 'walk ins' due to space restrictions.

Some restaurateurs are considering taking sizeable up front deposit payments, or black listing no shows in future.

We're all supposed to be 'in this together' but seems the feckless and selfish amongst us don't want to be.

Last edited:
as you point out above@Pete Burrett , eateries should look at stop considering & actually charging a non refundable deposit/ booking fee

given the limited amount of tables avail' due to social distancing requirements, shouldn't a non refundable booking fee be standard across the eating out industry

Yes, taking a deposit sounds like the way to go. Refundable if you cancel more than 24hrs in advance.
It would probably put a few people off, but they are probably the ones unlikely to turn up!

Only seems to be "higher end" places complaining about it.

Deposit up front.

Simple really.

Glad we dined at the H&F when we did, and yes it was worth every penny............... even bumped into Tom on the way out.?

Not only Tom Kerridge who's suffering! This town has 15+ restaurants, all independent and varying in quality. 'No shows' are already a problem across the board, judging by comments on the local FB page.

There is resistance from some citizens to a £20 per head deposit as they 'couldn't afford it.' The mind boggles at that logic.

Not only Tom Kerridge who's suffering! This town has 15+ restaurants, all independent and varying in quality. 'No shows' are already a problem across the board, judging by comments on the local FB page.

There is resistance from some citizens to a £20 per head deposit as they 'couldn't afford it.' The mind boggles at that logic.

Presuming it’s refundable/comes off your meal cost, how could they not afford it if they can afford to spend that £20 eating out??

Presuming it’s refundable/comes off your meal cost, how could they not afford it if they can afford to spend that £20 eating out??
Well, precisely. Some are just not thinking it through. You phone a restaurant on Thursday to book a table for Saturday. You pay, say, a £40 deposit on Thursday rather than a £40 bill on Saturday. Mind you, I suggested a £20 deposit during the FB discussion and was told I 'obviously had too much money'.

On booking, "pre-authorise" a credit card and if you don't show for your booking, the restaurant charges, say, £50 to the card for their expenses.

Hotels have been doing this for years.

Well, precisely. Some are just not thinking it through. You phone a restaurant on Thursday to book a table for Saturday. You pay, say, a £40 deposit on Thursday rather than a £40 bill on Saturday. Mind you, I suggested a £20 deposit during the FB discussion and was told I 'obviously had too much money'.

Common sense.......... it`s long gone & not common anymore.

You have too much money. ? ? ?

Is there not some sort of Victorian debtor's type prison system which could be set up to deal with these reprobates?

I bet these people fall into one of two categories:

1. Middle aged professional couples with children called 'Harvey', 'Rupert' or the like; or
2. 20-something y/o women who post images of their meals to Instagram.

This self-entitlement needs to be purged from society by any means necessary. I've long advocated for the transformation of Anglesey into a prison colony and people who 'no show" restaurants would be the first to cross that bridge.

People who sit on other people's shoulders at festivals would also be gone.

Is there not some sort of Victorian debtor's type prison system which could be set up to deal with these reprobates?

1. Middle aged professional couples with children called 'Harvey', 'Rupert' or the like; or

This self-entitlement needs to be purged from society by any means necessary. I've long advocated for the transformation of Anglesey into a prison colony and people who 'no show" restaurants would be the first to cross that bridge.

I`ll vote for you.

Fly-tippers and litterers straight to Australia on a prison hulk as well..

"Influencers" can have free NHS surgery to ram their heads up their own anuses too.

A pre-lock down example: I've got eight candidates for transportation. We have an exceptional tapas restaurant. It's small (only 24 covers) and is consequently always fully booked.

A party of 11 made a booking. Only three people turned up. No explanation, just shrugged shoulders and a 'well we're here' attitude. The restaurant subsequently introduced a refundable deposit system. It worked, but lots of customers objected to paying the £5 up front.

I think your account has been hacked by Paul Cannell :)

Deposit up front.

Simple really.

Glad we dined at the H&F when we did, and yes it was worth every penny............... even bumped into Tom on the way out.?

Were Dick and Harry not there?

Back
Top Bottom