Nile Ranger

But it was alright for a drunk driver who killed 2 children and permanently disabled another person to play for us, as it gave him a chance. If and it is a big if Ranger can put all the s**t that has happened behind him for good and do what he is capable of doing.....then why not? Although one error and its bye bye
The big difference is obviously intent. The deliberate nature of Ranger's crimes is what differentiates him from a Chapman or a McCormick. If you look at the actual actions of the individual involved rather than the ultimate outcome, it seems clear to me that an extended (10 years+) history of deliberately violent, dishonest and hate-filled acts is reflective of a significantly more contemptible character than either Chapman or McCormick. It's not just the extent of the crimes, either: I am also very glad we didn't sign Ched Evans, as, again, in my book the deliberate nature of rape makes it a far worse crime than stupidly getting behind the wheel of a car when drunk, and it is not a crime I want associated with the club of which I am so proud.
I just don't understand anyone here saying 'oh come on, let's give him his one last chance, let's see if he can 'put all the s**t that has happened behind him'. Again, he has CONSISTENTLY been in trouble with the law for over a DECADE - what on earth makes you think that joining Oxford United is going to be some moment of divine intervention for him that turns his morals and character completely on their head?

I agree but when he has played for longer than 2 minutes apart from scoring against a Fulham u23 he hasn’t really managed it, so it’s bit of a quandary
Well I'm hoping he gets a start in the checkatrade and the FA cup when Mackie will probably arrange to serve his five yellow suspension by getting booked at scunny.

The big difference is obviously intent. The deliberate nature of Ranger's crimes is what differentiates him from a Chapman or a McCormick. If you look at the actual actions of the individual involved rather than the ultimate outcome, it seems clear to me that an extended (10 years+) history of deliberately violent, dishonest and hate-filled acts is reflective of a significantly more contemptible character than either Chapman or McCormick. It's not just the extent of the crimes, either: I am also very glad we didn't sign Ched Evans, as, again, in my book the deliberate nature of rape makes it a far worse crime than stupidly getting behind the wheel of a car when drunk, and it is not a crime I want associated with the club of which I am so proud.
I just don't understand anyone here saying 'oh come on, let's give him his one last chance, let's see if he can 'put all the s**t that has happened behind him'. Again, he has CONSISTENTLY been in trouble with the law for over a DECADE - what on earth makes you think that joining Oxford United is going to be some moment of divine intervention for him that turns his morals and character completely on their head?
I’m not saying if he joins us that he becomes a saint and as Robbo has said he has a lot to prove to even warrant a short term contract. If he proves himself to what Robbo is looking for and he gets a short term contract we will see if it was worth it, I’m not bothered whether he signs or not if he does we will have to go with Robbo’s judgement on this one. But if he does and he starts/comes on as sub you can boo him be my guest.
In a final note yes he has been a bad boy drugs fraud and violence and had been inside, but don’t try and compare with accidental killings or drunk killers. Regarding Evans that retrial was B*****s

I’m not saying if he joins us that he becomes a saint and as Robbo has said he has a lot to prove to even warrant a short term contract. If he proves himself to what Robbo is looking for and he gets a short term contract we will see if it was worth it, I’m not bothered whether he signs or not if he does we will have to go with Robbo’s judgement on this one. But if he does and he starts/comes on as sub you can boo him be my guest.
In a final note yes he has been a bad boy drugs fraud and violence and had been inside, but don’t try and compare with accidental killings or drunk killers. Regarding Evans that retrial was B*****s

It is you that keeps pestering for comparisons.

It is you that keeps pestering for comparisons.
I’m not, I just made a comment about Ranger and whether he should play, that’s all. You’re entitled to say whether he should play or not but ultimately it’s down to Robbo and it will be on his head if it goes wrong also he would be praised if it went good and he ( Ranger ) proves himself. But as I’ve said you can boo if and when he starts.

We need a striker and his record on this alone suggests he's not good enough. If we're going to give anyone a decent chance how about Smith gets some decent minutes, twenty not two when Mackie's been blowing for twenty anyway. I think there's a decent striker striving to get out with Smith.
Smith has had plenty of chances this season and not produced, he has started games and his general play suggests he's not up to this standard yet, that's not to say his time wont come somewhere else.
I suppose it's the pressure of stepping up and also going to a bigger club and their expectations.

Smith has had plenty of chances this season and not produced, he has started games and his general play suggests he's not up to this standard yet, that's not to say his time wont come somewhere else.
I suppose it's the pressure of stepping up and also going to a bigger club and their expectations.
Robinson said that he had a meeting with Tiger last Friday to discuss their transfer strategy come January. I think that will include sending Smith and possibly Garbutt back to their parent clubs if that’s possible. Sadly some loans just don’t work out but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re bad players.

Robinson said that he had a meeting with Tiger last Friday to discuss their transfer strategy come January. I think that will include sending Smith and possibly Garbutt back to their parent clubs if that’s possible. Sadly some loans just don’t work out but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re bad players.

Got nothing against either. Smith may well come good, but it would seem like a smart move now that he was brought in on loan and not a (1m or close to it) cash signing.

Garbutt, who didn't rave about this signing? A lot of people complained it was a loan but nobody complained of the quality or potential.

Both cases currently in hindsight are looking like the right decision was made by the management at the time.

Last edited:

4 starts, sat on the bench 8 other times, coming on for a few minutes at the end of a game, suggests he hasn't had plenty of chances.

I agree about the pressure of playing for a bigger club though. (y)

So fans can get banning orders, passports taken away and not wanted for minor misdemeanor yet A guy with a 10 year history of crime is not only welcomed by and to the club but gets paid for the privilege.

4 starts, sat on the bench 8 other times, coming on for a few minutes at the end of a game, suggests he hasn't had plenty of chances.

I agree about the pressure of playing for a bigger club though. (y)
Does that include the cup games?

So fans can get banning orders, passports taken away and not wanted for minor misdemeanor yet A guy with a 10 year history of crime is not only welcomed by and to the club but gets paid for the privilege.
Is he getting paid ?. He asked to come an train why would we pay him. PS i don't want him here full stop.

Last edited:
Back to Nile Ranger
I was in the "doesn't deserve to wear the shirt" camp but without knowing too much other than the list of convictions/prosecutions.
I have now watched most of the True Geordie interview (slow day at work)
So I can now say with certainty that if you're thinking there are 2 sides to every story and maybe he should get a chance to show that he's reformed, this is not that case. He would 100% let us down & make Robinson regret taking a chance.
He has learned nothing. He has obviously been told what he should be saying & occasionally puts that in but, in truth, he understands nothing about himself.
When it was put to him that Messi & Ronaldo turn up on time to training out of respect for teammates so how come he can't - he thought that was funny.
He thinks that putting a broke mate in touch with a bunch that he knew were defrauding people's savings was an act of generosity on his part.
He thinks that throughout all his problems he has been targeted because of his "Big Name".
He thinks this is unfair.

I am currently reading the autobiography of Tour De France drug cheat David Millar. He got to a point where he thoroughly understood what a spoilt prima donna he had become - and, therefore, totally deserved a second chance. Nile Ranger is a nowhere near understanding his own stupidity.

I don't believe Karl Robinson can have watched the interview. He really can't afford look as foolish as he would, soon after giving this bloke any sort of contract, however "tough".

Ched Evans was cleared of rape when the accuser was found to have lied to police and e-mails were found as to her intentions.

But I agree Nile Ranger should not even be offered a trial. His convictions clearly show that he is a thug with no respect for the law or other people. No thanks ........................

Ched Evans was cleared of rape when the accuser was found to have lied to police and e-mails were found as to her intentions.
It also helped that two of her supposed ex boyfriends made her out to be a slapper that was after they received 25k each from Evans girlfriends dad and that was the reason the conviction was over turned

Back
Top Bottom