Nick Merry and Jim Smith

What was Jim Smith's first game in charge second time around, was it Peterborough? I've got it on dvd at home, along with some other classics that other clubs used to produce like a conference game against Hereford.

What was Jim Smith's first game in charge second time around, was it Peterborough? I've got it on dvd at home, along with some other classics that other clubs used to produce like a conference game against Hereford.
Peterborough at home ... we won 1-0 .... before the teams came out Rosie announced ' ladies & gentleman, the 'eagle has landed' , followed by Thin Lizzy 'the boys are back in town' blasting out the tannoy

Peterborough at home ... we won 1-0 .... before the teams came out Rosie announced ' ladies & gentleman, the 'eagle has landed' , followed by Thin Lizzy 'the boys are back in town' blasting out the tannoy

@Sarge you forgot the the first announcement, “Mr Kassam has left the building” unfortunately it wasn’t quite true ?

@Sarge you forgot the the first announcement, “Mr Kassam has left the building” unfortunately it wasn’t quite true ?
memory aint what it was ... and besides, as we all know he still hasnt...hanging around like a bad smell ( maybe thats what got up the noses of Posh fans last Sat & Tues nights? )

Does anyone know where Nick Merry is these days, hasn't been seen for a while? Does he still owe 'Arry a load of dosh? Hold on........

They also played the "Jim'll Fix It" theme. Indeed, how times have changed ...
I was convinced after that game that we'd be staying up - no question about it.

They also played the "Jim'll Fix It" theme. Indeed, how times have changed ...
I was convinced after that game that we'd be staying up - no question about it.
Shoot me down in flames .... But I genuinely believe that if after the takeover they had left Darren in charge and not brought in a load of Portsmouth reserves we would have stayed up.

Certainly that Peterborough match was a false dawn.

N'toya was quality, tho, as we sank into the mire.

Shoot me down in flames .... But I genuinely believe that if after the takeover they had left Darren in charge and not brought in a load of Portsmouth reserves we would have stayed up.
I reckon we would have gone down had Patterson stayed in charge.
We saw what sort of manager hevwascwhen he took the role on a permanent basis...

I reckon we would have gone down had Patterson stayed in charge.
We saw what sort of manager hevwascwhen he took the role on a permanent basis...
Patto would have kept us up, just doing not very much and keeping the squad together...it was actually quite a remarkable effort by Jimbo to so totally screw about with things that we scored so many fewer points than those around us. Can't remember the exact numbers, but we were something like 12th or 13th when they took over and we only managed about half of the points of those around us for the rest of the season.

Patto would not have been spectacular, and may well have struggled in the longer run/not survived the following season, but I definately think he would have done enough to keep us up.....

Does anyone know where Nick Merry is these days, hasn't been seen for a while? Does he still owe 'Arry a load of dosh? Hold on........

I've seen him a couple of times in the last 6 months in Carterton and Minster Lovell. So presume that he lives in the Witney area. I can also confirm that he still doesn't wear socks.

I can't remember what car he was driving but it certainly wasn't anything like what he drove while with Oxford.

Patto would have kept us up, just doing not very much and keeping the squad together...it was actually quite a remarkable effort by Jimbo to so totally screw about with things that we scored so many fewer points than those around us. Can't remember the exact numbers, but we were something like 12th or 13th when they took over and we only managed about half of the points of those around us for the rest of the season.

Patto would not have been spectacular, and may well have struggled in the longer run/not survived the following season, but I definately think he would have done enough to keep us up.....

A view shared by Chris Hargreaves.

Nick Merry, the biggest con man in Oxfordshire ? My wife was good friends with his ex, he persuaded some Irish investors to put money into a South African gold mine that didn't exist, they came over looking for him, he then left for Spain where he conned a woman with money to get into a relationship … after that I'm not sure .. maybe investing in socks and shares?

A man who deserves botulism; and living proof that what goes around doesn't (necessarily) come around.

Looking back, the contract Merry signed with FK really screwed the club over. Whoever bought oufc needed to buy the stadium as well - or negotiate one hell of a good lease. Merry did neither. Walter Mitty, a glory seeker or a crook? Others can judge on that one.