Nick Merry and Jim Smith

Merry eventually proposed an IVA with his creditors. Offered a bag of emeralds as payment. He didn’t own them.

Paid no fees to the insolvency practitioner either.

Ended up owing £250k to ‘ Arry’. One of several creditors.

Legged over Lenagan spectacularly. For millions.

A true rogue. When we met him at an Oxvox meeting soon after takeover he just sat there in all his sockless glory, saying nothing. Kelvin T held the fort; poor old Kelvin probably taken to the cleaners too.

Surprised he’s got the brass neck to turn up in the UK, let alone Oxfordshire.

Trouble is, once the hated Kassam had left the building, supporters would have welcomed Bernie Madoff with open arms.

Merry legged us all over as well.

Quite. Good sequence of posts PRB.
Indeed. This bit of the recent OxVox press communication worried me a bit "it is perhaps time for us as fans to come together behind Tiger, the board, Karl and the players and push this amazing club forward". While of course we all want success, I think being a 'critical friend' is the job of OxVox rather then being a cheerleader for the powers that be. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I really want the supporters trust to keep very, very watchful here...

Patto would have kept us up, just doing not very much and keeping the squad together...it was actually quite a remarkable effort by Jimbo to so totally screw about with things that we scored so many fewer points than those around us. Can't remember the exact numbers, but we were something like 12th or 13th when they took over and we only managed about half of the points of those around us for the rest of the season.

Patto would not have been spectacular, and may well have struggled in the longer run/not survived the following season, but I definately think he would have done enough to keep us up.....
I guess that we will never know. We had pretty tough fixtures left, Torquay (?) Started an amazing run and I reckon we would have gone down.

They even played the Jim'll Fix It theme tune as he walked on to the pitch. I knew we should have been worried then