Next seasons odds

Big club or not (and they're not) they should have been Champions last season. They had the best squad in the division and a considerable amount of my money on them. With Ivan Toney and Mo Eisa up front and Marcus Maddison behind them there was no excuse for their inconsistency. The weakest link was and is their manager; I backed them despite Ferguson. They will surely be weaker without Toney and I can't see them challenging this season; I hope not anyway.
Should have been champions?
Unfairly got kicked out of the playoffs yes....but should have been champions?

Might as well say Fleetwood are a big club then.
Fact is that Peterborough are f**k all, always have been, always will be.
Good cathedral mind...

Fleetwood spending money like Peterborough? nope, and that's what I was basing it on. Not the size of their fanbase.
The thread title is about odds for next season, where teams will finish in the league.

Wasn't quite sure where this line fits in "Fact is that Peterborough are f**k all, always have been, always will be." are you referring to Blue Division? :unsure:

Fleetwood spending money like Peterborough? nope, and that's what I was basing it on. Not the size of their fanbase.
The thread title is about odds for next season, where teams will finish in the league.

Wasn't quite sure where this line fits in "Fact is that Peterborough are f**k all, always have been, always will be." are you referring to Blue Division? :unsure:
No, probably more Bret Hitman Hart than Blue Division! But yes, that's a good one, a poxy hooli group named after some poxy fascists. No match for the Heating Services!

Should have been champions?
Unfairly got kicked out of the playoffs yes....but should have been champions?

Yes, that's my belief. I didn't have a lot of sympathy for them regarding the play-offs. I thought , with the squad they had, they should have won the league title. It is impossible to know where they'd have finished had the season been played out but I was still optimistic they'd have made top three. It's water under the bridge now, water that has long since carried my money far out to sea. I still feel Ferguson underachieved massively with the squad Posh had.
I repeat that I expect and hope Peterborough United will be a weaker force in the coming season.

Yes, that's my belief. I didn't have a lot of sympathy for them regarding the play-offs. I thought , with the squad they had, they should have won the league title. It is impossible to know where they'd have finished had the season been played out but I was still optimistic they'd have made top three. It's water under the bridge now, water that has long since carried my money far out to sea. I still feel Ferguson underachieved massively with the squad Posh had.
I repeat that I expect and hope Peterborough United will be a weaker force in the coming season.

Unfortunately alot of that water was contaminated from the sewage that is the Efl, they were so desperate to get a ball kicked that they came up with some formula that nobody had heard of to the cost of many clubs,players,staff and fans who had worked so hard since the season began.

Why do people think Pompey are gonna be up there every season??? they are always mediocre

Why do people think Pompey are gonna be up there every season??? they are always mediocre

I don't think anyone's clear-cut to be up there this year, unless you have any opinions?

Therefore probably safest to put the teams that are likely to have the most money bet on them (big fanbases, known names, etc) up there as the shortest odds.

Just listened to the D3D4 podcast, which is always a good listen. They have us to finish 2nd, behind Peterborough.

Some ludicrously optimistic predicted finishes in here. With the exception of Rochdale and Wigan, noone seems to think they're going to finish below 15th, and about half the division reckon they'll sneak the playoffs! Ipswich predicting 4th, Sunderland 2nd (!!) and Gillingham 6th the standouts for me.

Some ludicrously optimistic predicted finishes in here. With the exception of Rochdale and Wigan, noone seems to think they're going to finish below 15th, and about half the division reckon they'll sneak the playoffs! Ipswich predicting 4th, Sunderland 2nd (!!) and Gillingham 6th the standouts for me.

It's the same every season, no one is going to predict relegation for themselves (apart from Bury and Bolton last year for obvious reasons)

Was surprised that no-one put their head about the parapet and said they were promotion contenders - with one notable exception.

Thought Peterborough writer was quite restrained. And of course the Sunderland guy is gloriously overconfident yet again. Just when you think you might start sympathising with them, they go and tip themselves for automatics again.

It's the same every season, no one is going to predict relegation for themselves (apart from Bury and Bolton last year for obvious reasons)

Was surprised that no-one put their head about the parapet and said they were promotion contenders - with one notable exception.

Thought Peterborough writer was quite restrained. And of course the Sunderland guy is gloriously overconfident yet again. Just when you think you might start sympathising with them, they go and tip themselves for automatics again.
well they did beat Villa’s kiddies 8-1

Peterborough Telegraph football writer Alan Swann predicts OUFC will be Champions

And just read this. Glad that writer has enough humility to put someone else top, he was sneering and conceited for the rest of it:

10th BRISTOL ROVERS: A club whose confidence appears to be based on multiple signings, but ex-Posh skipper Jack Baldwin (pictured) will need to remember why he was once compared to Alan Hansen for Rovers to challenge. Losing star striker Jonson Clarke-Harris to a bigger and better club won’t help.

Title challengers
Oxford fell at the final hurdle after edging out Portsmouth in the play-off semi-finals and Karl Robinson’s side are primed for another tilt towards the Championship. The return of Liam Kelly on loan and Matty Taylor should help Oxford to keep their rhythm after losing captain Rob Dickie to Queens Park Rangers.

Three players to watch
Marcus McGuane, Oxford From the Camp Nou to the Kassam. Two years on from becoming the first Englishman to play for Barcelona since Gary Lineker, the signing of the 21-year-old midfielder on a season’s loan from Nottingham Forest represents quite the coup for Oxford.

Just listened to the D3D4 podcast, which is always a good listen. They have us to finish 2nd, behind Peterborough.

Likewise, the NTT20 podcast too (with Oxford fan George Elek on it). They did their predictions and came out with the following table:

1. Peterborough
2. Portsmouth
------------
3. Oxford
4. Sunderland
5. Fleetwood
6. Hull
-----------
7. Ipswich
8. Charlton
9. Blackpool
10. Lincoln
11. Swindon
12. Plymouth
13. Gillingham
14. Crewe
15. Bristol R
16. Doncaster
17. MK Dons
18. Accrington
19. Wimbledon
20. Wigan
----------------
21. Shrewsbury
22. Burton
23. Northampton
24. Rochdale

SWINDON TOWN (Jonathan Leighfield, Swindon Advertiser)

Storyline of the summer

Town were awarded the League Two title via the PPG system – something that both delighted and frustrated many at the County Ground. On the one hand, it was widely believed that Richie Wellens’ squad would have gone on to complete the job anyway, therefore the title was deserved. On the other, it was sad not to be able to lift the trophy in front of the fans who had travelled in great numbers all season.

Transfer business

Several members of last season’s title-winning squad departed for pastures new, including Eoin Doyle. Most left the club with good wishes, however it has left Wellens with another considerable rebuilding job. The incomings such as Jack Payne, Diallang Jaiyesimi and Matej Kovar have restored some faith, but a handful more signings will be needed to compete at the right end of the table.

Standing of the manager

Richie Wellens is still very much liked by all Swindon fans for his straight-talking, openness when dealing with all matters surrounding the club. Not to mention, in his first full season, the Mancunian managed Town to the title.

The mood among the fanbase

I’m not sure anyone expects Town to set the league alight, but a disappointing result and performance in the League Cup against Charlton possibly checked the mood even more. I’m sure most would consider a top-half finish and taking six points from the team in yellow down the A420 a huge success though.

Predicted finish

What I want to happen and what I think will happen are probably quite far apart. But I believe Town will finish in mid-table with a win over Oxford coming at home in controversial circumstances.

Rent free.

Back
Top Bottom