National News Next Prime Minister

Richard Nixon, the only US President to resign, had a wholesome private life. coming from a family of Quakers. End of.

Richard Nixon, the only US President to resign, had a wholesome private life. coming from a family of Quakers. End of.
I'm struggling to see how that is relevant? Having a wholesome private life does not necessarily mean that you are squeaky clean. Having a chaotic home life doesn't necessarily mean you are unfit to rule.
However, it's a good bet that someone unable to manage his own affairs (poor choice of word maybe!) who has managed to also lose two wives, get sacked from government positions and make endless gaffes (some serious, some not) is going to be under scrutiny as to whether his handling of colleagues (some of whom hate him already for his past double-dealing) or international relations (he is already regarded as something of a joke abroad) will be any better.

I'm struggling to see how that is relevant? Having a wholesome private life does not necessarily mean that you are squeaky clean. Having a chaotic home life doesn't necessarily mean you are unfit to rule.
However, it's a good bet that someone unable to manage his own affairs (poor choice of word maybe!) who has managed to also lose two wives, get sacked from government positions and make endless gaffes (some serious, some not) is going to be under scrutiny as to whether his handling of colleagues (some of whom hate him already for his past double-dealing) or international relations (he is already regarded as something of a joke abroad) will be any better.
You are arguing against yourself. You cant say "Having a chaotic home life doesn't necessarily mean you are unfit to rule." and then say Boris is unfit to be PM. You need a cup of tea.

You are arguing against yourself. You cant say "Having a chaotic home life doesn't necessarily mean you are unfit to rule." and then say Boris is unfit to be PM. You need a cup of tea.
No. If you read what I actually wrote, Boris's chaotic personal life is ALREADY reflected in the way he has conducted himself in politics. There is no reason to think that will change.
A cup of tea is a good idea though! :)

A chatoic
'End of'. Love it. The retort of someone who really doesn't want to enter into any meaningful debate.

So, what we can deduce from your strained analogy? Nixon was 'wholesome' and yet a crook. Boris might be less than wholesome, so maybe that means he's less likely to be a crook? I mean, exactly what is it that you're trying to say?
A chaotic private life doesn't mean you are not fit for office. He delivered as London Major. I am confident he will deliver as PM.

A chaotic private life doesn't mean you are not fit for office. He delivered as London Major. I am confident he will deliver as PM.
Sorry, you've missed my point. I agree, a chaotic private life is no bar to public office. My problem with is that he has been poor in public office (I don't agree that he delivered as London Mayor - rough sleeping, bridge, water cannon etc - and he was a shocking FS), can't even deal truthfully with his own party and is despised by a large number of other Tory MPs.
You may be 'confident', but that can't be from looking at his record!

Last edited:
Frankly, this thread is a waste of time, unless you are a Conservative party member. The MSM and we the general public do not count. We have no vote. Facts are facts. As long as Boris turns up the party hustings he is following the electoral rules. The Huntbot can bully Al all he wants. Its not going to work. Stand your ground Mr Johnson, stand your ground.

Sorry, you've missed my point. I agree, a chaotic private life is no bar to public office. My problem with is that he has been poor in public office (I don't agree that he delivered as London Mayor - rough sleeping, bridge, water cannon etc - and he was a shocking FS), can't even deal truthfully with his own party and is despised by a large number of other Tory MPs.

I'd love it if we had water cannon which was implemented properly. Extinction Rebellion would have been a perfect fit for the full roll out.

You may not agree that he delivered as London Mayor, but the evidence says otherwise.
After he'd left office, 52% of Londoner's said he'd done a good job vs 29% not. So a 'net popularity rating' of +23%.
To put that in context, no other living PM or London mayor is even in positive figures.
(K Livingstone: -30%; D Cameron: -39%; G Brown: -29%; T Blair: -45%; J Major: -15%)

I see the Boris turtle has poked it's head out of the shell and done an interview with Laura Kuenssberg - not the easiest interview you'll get if you want to hide. Still interesting he won't do a TV debate.

I see the Boris turtle has poked it's head out of the shell and done an interview with Laura Kuenssberg - not the easiest interview you'll get if you want to hide. Still interesting he won't do a TV debate.

When we (the membership) have a choice between Jeremy Hunt (May in a mans suit, whoops I cut a bit too deep) and Johnson he doesn`t need to do a TV debate. Those who will vote will go to hustings and make their choice.

When we (the membership) have a choice between Jeremy Hunt (May in a mans suit, whoops I cut a bit too deep) and Johnson he doesn`t need to do a TV debate. Those who will vote will go to hustings and make their choice.

I obviously don't like either but it doesn't look good that Johnson is/was willing to do a TV debate after the vote opens but not before.

I see the logic from his point of view because Hunt will constantly focus and challenge on detail whereas Johnson, so far, hasn't really offered any. It would annoy me that he was running from the TV debate if I was a member.

@Marked Ox I`m sure somebody said on here all BJ`s "handlers" need to do is keep him quiet and the job is done. That got a bit close at the weekend but by ballot time that "news" will be chip paper!

Hunt will have a hard job fighting against an "invisible" opponent and an awful lot of members decided BJ was their choice a long time ago.

I would rather have had someone like Rory but that`s for the future.

Lesser of two evils I guess. :rolleyes:

at a guess , most of the 130k tory party members eligible to vote for thier leader and the UK's next PM already know who theyre voting for.... yet the series of hustings over about a month - another month where the Brexit issues stay shelved - which may be fine for the tory party, but for the entire UK its one month less spent in the approach to the current date for Brexit , therefore a month lass to possibly achieve changes to any deal on offer

personally, I would like to see tv debates between Johnson & Hunt, but not being a party member , I dont have a vote/ say in who the next UK PM will be, and both Johnson and Hunt are more interested in securing a majority from those who can vote in the leadership election .... do old school tories such as those like lord snooty/ Reece - Mogg even know what a television is, ? ;) .... Johnson is targetting his potential support by opting to not do TV debates as theres nothing extra to benefit his aspirations to be PM by having televised public head to heads with Hunt

Last edited:
@Marked Ox I`m sure somebody said on here all BJ`s "handlers" need to do is keep him quiet and the job is done. That got a bit close at the weekend but by ballot time that "news" will be chip paper!

Hunt will have a hard job fighting against an "invisible" opponent and an awful lot of members decided BJ was their choice a long time ago.

I would rather have had someone like Rory but that`s for the future.

Lesser of two evils I guess. :rolleyes:

That was me. ?

Agreed on the lesser of 2 evils.

Johnson's 'keep as quiet as possible' policy might well work in this 'election' for PM by the Tory faithful but it is a pretty cowardly tactic. He won't be able to do it as PM!

I do have a vote and will be plumping for Hunt. (My vote would have gone to Javid., pity he got the hook.)

The off field antics of Johnson are irrelevant to me. Do you think Tony Blair was a ‘nice bloke’ ?

Johnson doesn’t inspire with his inability to act quickly in his feet. He’s ponderous. Hunt is getting out and about and delivering a sound campaign.

I do have a vote and will be plumping for Hunt. (My vote would have gone to Javid., pity he got the hook.)

The off field antics of Johnson are irrelevant to me. Do you think Tony Blair was a ‘nice bloke’ ?

Johnson doesn’t inspire with his inability to act quickly in his feet. He’s ponderous. Hunt is getting out and about and delivering a sound campaign.

Ponderous yes but a pretty hefty intellect behind it. As he said in the LK interview he`s a "centre-right" ... as are most of the party.
Hunt is too far to being centre left...

Back
Top Bottom