National News Next Prime Minister

BoJo vs. Hunt. Just terrific.

A couple of over-privileged public-school-and-Oxford-educated oafs, who have seemingly taken their stances on Brexit based entirely on how it's going to help their political careers. Because when you're as wealthy and well-connected as they are, it doesn't matter how badly the country gets screwed, they'll still be OK.

Actually, I think BoJo - despite consistently selling the aforementioned unicorns for the past several years - is somehow the less egregiously self-serving of the pair of them. At least he's stayed on one side of the fence. Hunt has been all over the place on Brexit (not my research - nicked from internet):

Before the referendum
Leaving the EU would leave the NHS facing a real economic "challenge" and could result in foreign doctors leaving Britain, Jeremy Hunt has warned.

The Health Secretary has said a vote for Brexit in June would lead to a loss of investment, “truly undermine the public finances” and “inevitably mean less money” for the NHS.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/27/tories-at-war-as-jeremy-hunt-accused-of-scaremongering-for-warni/

Straight after the referendum he wanted a second referendum on the terms of Brexit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36647948

And then he wanted a soft Brexit - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/after-brexit-we-can-no-longer-ignore-fears-about-immigration/

Then he emerged as a headbanger Brexiter, saying Britain would 'prosper' in a no deal situation
https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/jeremy-hunt-no-deal-brexit-leave-eu-comments/

Then he claims a no deal Brexit would be 'cataclysmic' for Britian - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6535161/Hunt-urges-EU-offer-assurances-Brexit-deal-Parliament.html

I suspect the next few months are going to be political chaos of the sort that makes the May years look streamlined and effective.
Wouldn't surprise me if the EU ends up pulling the plug on Halloween out of sheer exasperation.

[QUOTE="tonyw, post: 154193, member:
I suspect the next few months are going to be political chaos of the sort that makes the May years look streamlined and effective.
Wouldn't surprise me if the EU ends up pulling the plug on Halloween out of sheer exasperation.
[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by pulling the plug on Halloween Tony?
I am sure that the deadline will stay in place but the odds of us leaving without a deal have increased.
Although Parliament will stop it??

What do you mean by pulling the plug on Halloween Tony?
I am sure that the deadline will stay in place but the odds of us leaving without a deal have increased.
Although Parliament will stop it??

I mean that the EU will say No Further Extensions (because what's the point?). No Deal vs. No Brexit decision has to be made now.
We'll be in for some serious political shenanigans if that happens - would parliament revoke Article 50 against the wishes and direction of the government?? Would be great popcorn entertainment if it wasn't so serious...….

I mean that the EU will say No Further Extensions (because what's the point?). No Deal vs. No Brexit decision has to be made now.
We'll be in for some serious political shenanigans if that happens - would parliament revoke Article 50 against the wishes and direction of the government?? Would be great popcorn entertainment if it wasn't so serious...….
Ah yes agree.
Whatever happens there will be some very unhappy people.
I still have no remote idea of how this will play out.

Never mind. As all the foreign owned industry leaves, the medicine runs out and food prices rocket - at least we'll have a buffoon with messy hair to chortle along with.

"Castigat ridendo mores" as Horace didn't say. Oh how we laughed.

Never mind. As all the foreign owned industry leaves, the medicine runs out and food prices rocket - at least we'll have a buffoon with messy hair to chortle along with.

"Castigat ridendo mores" as Horace didn't say. Oh how we laughed.
Mmm.
Some of that is scare stories.
Why on earth would the medicines run out?
It really shouldn't be that difficult for medicines to cross a border like they do presumably millions of times per day throughout the world

Mmm.
Some of that is scare stories.
It really shouldn't be that difficult for medicines to cross a border like they do presumably millions of times per day throughout the world
I remember the BBC, FT, CBI, New Labour, etc. peddling "Project Fear" if we didn't join the Euro, which turn out to be an economic disaster.

The working-class, have been treated with disdain, by the Liberal elites for too long. Not any more. And good for them.

Shh Pete. I've never been described as part of the 'liberal elite' and am hoping I fit the bill, albeit in a non-metropolitan sort of way...

Not going to say it will happen.

But the five largest drug exporting nations are, in order, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, France & Netherlands.

If we go No Deal Brexit, and if the players at the time cannot agree a temporary customs arrangement, and if that then leads to massive tailbacks in Calais etc. whilst every export to Britain gets meticulously checked so tariffs can be applied, then yeah, Britain could end up with a shortage.

Lots of ifs there of course - but with the buffoon in charge, that's one step closer to it actually happening.

The problem is all the others made claims about providing Unicorns.
And it's not like Labour, the Lib Dems, Greens, Brexit Party or SNP aren't providing their own unicorns!

Labour proved it was a vote winner in the last election and just shrugged their shoulders over their promises the day after. Lego Hair in Scotland keeps doing the same thing! Avoid falling education standards and hospital issues, Independence!!!!

As for Change UK, the Peoples's Front of Change, who knows what those morons think?

Last edited:
And it's not like Labour, the Lib Dems, Greens, Brexit Party or SNP aren't providing their own unicorns!

Labour proved it was a vote winner in the last election and just shrugged their shoulders over their promises the day after. Lego Hair in Scotland keeps doing the same thing! Avoid falling education standards and hospital issues, Independence!!!!

As for Change UK, the Peoples's Front of Change, who knows what those morons think?

Eh, how could Labour implement their manifesto when they aren't in Govt?

Eh, how could Labour implement their manifesto when they aren't in Govt?
It was the basis of what they said they would do and why people voted for them, and was full of unicorns. No different to what we are seeing from the Tory candidates saying what they would do if they become PM. Just who said it!

Back
Top Bottom