National News Next Prime Minister

Oufcrealist

Should the next Tory leader and consequently the next Prime Minister be chosen by just 124 thousand people?
We are in a bit of a mess to put it mildly and it doesn't sit at all well with me. Especially as the present incumbent was chose in the same way!!

Should the next Tory leader and consequently the next Prime Minister be chosen by just 124 thousand people?
We are in a bit of a mess to put it mildly and it doesn't sit at all well with me. Especially as the present incumbent was chose in the same way!!
IMO no .... there again Im not a member of any political party

... its fine for political parties to select their party leader by whatever means the said party decides upon.... however ( again IMO), I think if it isn't the deputy PM stepping up, ( thats why there is a Deputy PM isnt it?), following any PM stepping down, it should be the country who decide on the PM, via a GE

Tory party would commit the equivalent of political suicide, IF there was a GE called before the Brexit situation is resolved, and they know it too

a proper Catch 22 of their very own making , aww, bless those 'poor' tax dodging posho's :rolleyes: :sneaky:

Write to your MP and ask them to raise the issue in the house.

I joined the Tory party for this very reason 6iah months ago when I thought she was going!

I'm not a Tory, but it's the PM not a President. You vote for a party and their policies (not for who you want to be PM), and then it's up to the parties to implement their manifesto pledges (ha ha) and choose a PM who can get them through. If the person they've chosen isn't up to it, then they have the right to try someone else.

Not just a tory thing, Labour did the same with Gordon Brown didn't they?

As pointed out, we don't vote in Prime Ministers, we vote in parties.

Not just a tory thing, Labour did the same with Gordon Brown didn't they?

As pointed out, we don't vote in Prime Ministers, we vote in parties.
Don't go along with that. In more recent years lots of people vote for personalities rather than parties. Blair was a big personality and the Tories had nobody to match him. Brown was dull in comparison and Cameron just shaded him. Labour won't win a GE because of Corbyn. If they had a big likeable personality as leader they would be doing much better in the polls. I can tell you for sure a large portion of the electorate vote for the 'person' they would like as Prime Minister and not manifesto's.

Don't go along with that. In more recent years lots of people vote for personalities rather than parties. Blair was a big personality and the Tories had nobody to match him. Brown was dull in comparison and Cameron just shaded him. Labour won't win a GE because of Corbyn. If they had a big likeable personality as leader they would be doing much better in the polls. I can tell you for sure a large portion of the electorate vote for the 'person' they would like as Prime Minister and not manifesto's.
That perception is fair enough, but it's still the fact we don't vote for PMs. They have a bearing of course, but our system isn't built that way.

It looks like the fix is in with BoJo being the new PM. Seconded the most in MPs and clear leader with the members, so the rules are being reviewed to see if the Tories get him in sooner rather than later so he can get to the EU.

Quite interesting as he's not spoken publically and no one knows what his program would be as PM. I guess the spectre of Oh Jeremy and Brexit failings have focused minds.

It looks like the fix is in with BoJo being the new PM. Seconded the most in MPs and clear leader with the members, so the rules are being reviewed to see if the Tories get him in sooner rather than later so he can get to the EU.

Quite interesting as he's not spoken publically and no one knows what his program would be as PM. I guess the spectre of Oh Jeremy and Brexit failings have focused minds.

He hasn't spoken publically as he has been advised not to as it goes wrong when he does.

spoof/ fake news it may be .... on the back of potential tory leaders/ Pm candidates 'down wiv da kidz' revelations of controlled substance use/abuse being fashionionable, this did make me laugh :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If they choose Johnson it will be because they think its best for the continued existence of the Conservative Party in it's current form rather than because they think it's good for the country. He is clearly NOT the most capable, trustworthy or truthful candidate.

Last edited:
If they choose Johnson it will be because they think its best for the continued existence of the Conservative Party in it's current form rather than because the think it's good for the country. He is clearly NOT the most capable, trustworthy or truthful candidate.

That has been the overriding Tory reasoning from the very start for the Referendum offer in the Manifesto and ever since. All about the internal Party politics.

That’s what Labour did with Wilson to Callaghan and Blair to Brown.
Not a big fan of that happening but if someone dies like Douglas Home then a natural successor was appointed.
I personally think it will be Johnson now who replaces May as he looks to have party support.
Heady days coming our way

That’s what Labour did with Wilson to Callaghan and Blair to Brown.
Not a big fan of that happening but if someone dies like Douglas Home then a natural successor was appointed.
I personally think it will be Johnson now who replaces May as he looks to have party support.
Heady days coming our way

Embarrassing days anyway.

Back
Top Bottom