National News Next Prime Minister

Boris has a large majority already, even if Hunt got all of the 30 votes from the candidates that have now withdrawn, he would have 3 vote advantage!

Ive a feeling Hancock , Raab, Javid and possibly Gove will be the next to 'fall'

Stewart most likely to pick up anti- Boris & tory centrists support

once its whittled down to 2 and the party members get to vote, its highly likely to be a(nother) former Bullingdon club buffoon imposed on the country

Bojo's former boss gives his opinion on the darling of the party members .....

64221595_10158619322244899_5017094462602477568_n.jpg

It's what we have come to. I don't think anyone could paint Max Hastings as left-wing.

Johnson is simply unfit to be in government (never mind being PM!) - and the idea of suspending Parliament so that he can get a no-deal Brexit though is outrageous.

On a completely unconnected note, is anyone watching 'Years and Years'?

Just for reference, this quote is from 2012
relevant7 years on though methinks?

although its from a few years ago its a bit like Bojo's quote thats doing the rounds on social media about Brown replacing Blair as Pm, without a General Election, and Bojo demanding there be a General election! back in , I think, 2007 (?) .... but, it is still relevant .... IMO :sneaky:

Over and above the MP result - they released a poll of Tory party members and more than 50% said, out of the ten candidates, they would vote for BoJo.

I can see the anti-BoJo MPs coalescing around another candidate (Jeremy Hunt is the leading vote-getter so far but he's so intimately connected to May that I can't see him winning.....Stewart would seem to be the most likely as his voice is somewhat distinct) - but even then, you have to imagine that the Raab & Leadsom votes at least are going to go to BoJo so he's almost guaranteed to make the top two unless he does something really horrendous in the debates. And then the Tory membership seem to love him......

Actually, I'd wager Corbyn is secretly praying that BoJo does in fact win. He's the one Tory leadership candidate that I think could genuinely lose a no confidence vote in parliament this side of Halloween.

And I know someone who used to work on BoJo's staff when he was Mayor of London - said the same thing about him that Hastings does above; the chaos and bluster isn't an act, it's genuinely how he behaves at all times, even in private.

If I was Corbyn I’d be worried about the likelihood of Boris Johnson winning. If anyone would get the Tories buzzing it is Boris. No doubt he will have a cabinet reshuffle with some more arrivals. I can see Hammond moved to the foreign office and Hunt becoming Home Secretary. Raab I reckon will get a job as First Secretary of the Treasury. Jeremy Hunt could be new Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Over and above the MP result - they released a poll of Tory party members and more than 50% said, out of the ten candidates, they would vote for BoJo.

I can see the anti-BoJo MPs coalescing around another candidate (Jeremy Hunt is the leading vote-getter so far but he's so intimately connected to May that I can't see him winning.....Stewart would seem to be the most likely as his voice is somewhat distinct) - but even then, you have to imagine that the Raab & Leadsom votes at least are going to go to BoJo so he's almost guaranteed to make the top two unless he does something really horrendous in the debates. And then the Tory membership seem to love him......

Actually, I'd wager Corbyn is secretly praying that BoJo does in fact win. He's the one Tory leadership candidate that I think could genuinely lose a no confidence vote in parliament this side of Halloween.

And I know someone who used to work on BoJo's staff when he was Mayor of London - said the same thing about him that Hastings does above; the chaos and bluster isn't an act, it's genuinely how he behaves at all times, even in private.
IF he was "only" a buffoon outwardly, then that would not be so bad, but as you say not only is he clearly a 24/7 buffon, he also has that nastier side to him that HAstings references, and the self-interest sickness that saw him bottle the job last time when he suddenly realised he might actually have to do something concrete.
Corbyn and Trump will want Johnson, mainly because he makes them not look quite so bad in comparison.....

....but the question remains, how have we reached a position where are futures are in the hands of these three??????

Corbyn and Trump will want Johnson, mainly because he makes them not look quite so bad in comparison.....

Trump will like him, because he'll see in Johnson a like-minded soul.

Difference is, Trump is President in a relatively quiet period of economic prosperity. He's not changing a great deal (certainly not in any way that can't be undone by the next person in the Oval Office) and the country is basically getting on with it despite him.

BoJo would be taking over at the most sensitive time for Britain's future prosperity in more than seven decades. He could **** things up in a profound way for generations.

Trump will like him, because he'll see in Johnson a like-minded soul.

Difference is, Trump is President in a relatively quiet period of economic prosperity. He's not changing a great deal (certainly not in any way that can't be undone by the next person in the Oval Office) and the country is basically getting on with it despite him.

BoJo would be taking over at the most sensitive time for Britain's future prosperity in more than seven decades. He could **** things up in a profound way for generations.

I think he will fcuk things up for several generations as PM

The look on Amber Rudd's face in her interview after the vote today said a lot. It had a look of we've lost control and I'm not sure I can stop Johnson winning. She's done a good job of politicking around the candidates but must be worried she backed the wrong horse and is in for a spell on the back benches.

Luckily for Boris, we are in an era where nuanced policy in a politician is not the vogue thing. He even said his style is to get the best in and leave them to it.

The look on Amber Rudd's face in her interview after the vote today said a lot. It had a look of we've lost control and I'm not sure I can stop Johnson winning. She's done a good job of politicking around the candidates but must be worried she backed the wrong horse and is in for a spell on the back benches.

She actually said today that "she believed the public may have had enough of disruption politics and wanted somebody to steady the tiller and provide calm leadership."

What planet is she on?

May is mostly steady, clam and undisruptive......and that led the Tories to their lowest vote share since the party was formed in 1834!

She actually said today that "she believed the public may have had enough of disruption politics and wanted somebody to steady the tiller and provide calm leadership."

What planet is she on?

May is mostly steady, clam and undisruptive......and that led the Tories to their lowest vote share since the party was formed in 1834!
Agree, but it perhaps shows what her mindset is at the moment. Rudd being in the middle of the storm has lost a bit of perspective about the reality of where her party is and how it relates to the membership and public. That comment almost smacks of self preservation.... Even she must know that the Tories cannot fudge Brexit anymore?

Considering the serious situation developing in the Persian Gulf/Strait of Hormuz between the US and Iran:

If it were to lead to military conflict/war, which is very possible with the stubbornness of both parties and the lack of communication, I would like all of the potential candidates in the debates/question time to be asked whether or not they would support the US in military action?

I think it would be good to ask Jeremy Corbyn as well.

• React
Reactions: m
Corbyn supporting military action? More likely to support the supply of mines to Iran!!

Surprisingly I don`t think Trump would commit to full scale military action either, he seems more willing to push hard with "sabre rattling" and sanctions than all out intervention.

We will undoubtedly support the US to reinforce the special relationship but it will more likely be "back office support" than boots on the ground.

what with Brexit and the tory leadership contest as 'distractions' ... the government are failing the people

They are reviewing the whole NRPF system anyway.

From that article........
"She has been in the UK for 18 years and gave birth to her son in 2010. The father is British but left the UK in 2016, leaving her and her child with no access to benefits."

Sad case but the hard reality is how many people to "we" let take out of the system that haven`t paid in?

They are reviewing the whole NRPF system anyway.

From that article........
"She has been in the UK for 18 years and gave birth to her son in 2010. The father is British but left the UK in 2016, leaving her and her child with no access to benefits."

Sad case but the hard reality is how many people to "we" let take out of the system that haven`t paid in?
fair point that

Corbyn supporting military action? More likely to support the supply of mines to Iran!!

Surprisingly I don`t think Trump would commit to full scale military action either, he seems more willing to push hard with "sabre rattling" and sanctions than all out intervention.

We will undoubtedly support the US to reinforce the special relationship but it will more likely be "back office support" than boots on the ground.

Sadly, we may end up with full scale military action by accident (even I don't think it is by design with Trump) as Trump does have a temper problem and really doesn't like to lose face.

Back
Top Bottom