National News Next Prime Minister

It was the basis of what they said they would do and why people voted for them, and was full of unicorns. No different to what we are seeing from the Tory candidates saying what they would do if they become PM. Just who said it!

I don't remember Labour offering simultaneously large tax cuts* and significant public sector spending increases at exactly the same time. In fact they didn't offer a tax cut but looked to increase them to cover the spending commitments:

They claimed their manifesto was fully costed which I highly doubt was the reality but it'll be a lot closer than the Unicorns offered by Boris Johnson and Jeremy "super charge the economy" Hunt.

Edit: Personally I would prefer my politicians to be realistic, actually like Rory Stewart was rather than offer the most stupid offer to try to bribe voters. And let's be clear these Unicorns weren't aimed at the general voter, they were squarely aimed at the Tory membership who I'm sure will enjoy the benefit of the tax cuts.

*Especially to the higher taxpayers like MPs as Johnson seems to think £80k is an average salary based his comments on the BBC TV debate.

Last edited:
I don't remember Labour offering simultaneously large tax cuts* and significant public sector spending increases at exactly the same time. In fact they didn't offer a tax cut but looked to increase them to cover the spending commitments:

They claimed their manifesto was fully costed which I highly doubt was the reality but it'll be a lot closer than the Unicorns offered by Boris Johnson and Jeremy "super charge the economy" Hunt.

Edit: Personally I would prefer my politicians to be realistic, actually like Rory Stewart was rather than offer the most stupid offer to try to bribe voters. And let's be clear these Unicorns weren't aimed at the general voter, they were squarely aimed at the Tory membership who I'm sure will enjoy the benefit of the tax cuts.

*Especially to the higher taxpayers like MPs as Johnson seems to think £80k is an average salary based his comments on the BBC TV debate.
Of course they offered different unicorns. I'm not sure why you think it was all the same?

Of course they offered different unicorns. I'm not sure why you think it was all the same?

Different as in one was with spending increases and Tax increases (Labour) whilst the Tory Leadership candidates (bar Rory Stewart) offered the impossible of both spending increases and tax cuts.

What's the connection between (your words) 'Project Fear' and the working class being treated with disdain? Are you suggesting that the entire UK working class are staunch Brexiteers? And could you give some examples of the (your words) 'Liberal elite' treating those same working class people with disdain?
If you really cant work that one out Mr Burrett, I had too high an opinion of you.

Different as in one was with spending increases and Tax increases (Labour) whilst the Tory Leadership candidates (bar Rory Stewart) offered the impossible of both spending increases and tax cuts.
You are missing my point. At concept, both will be considered unicorns by other side. Whether it be nationalising the power grid, or tax cuts. In particular, the tuition fees was a vote winner for Labour that died a death after the election.

You are missing my point. At concept, both will be considered unicorns by other side. Whether it be nationalising the power grid, or tax cuts. In particular, the tuition fees was a vote winner for Labour that died a death after the election.

Even Tories, as in Rory Stewart and some other Tory MPs, called them out on offering impossible Unicorns (ie. both tax cuts and spending increases).

Politicians will continue offering the impossible until voters stop drinking that koolaid.

I'm with you, Marked Ox, in that I value pragmatism and honesty in politicians - but in recent times, the most pragmatic, honest politicians have tended to be pretty quickly kicked to the curb (either by the electorate, or their own parties).

In a way, it's hard to blame power-hungry politicians for offering up the world, and then hoping to gently back down from it when they get into power.....because that's what's worked in the past. And until the electorate (in this case, just the Tories, but when the next GE comes round it'll be everyone) wises up and really punishes the unicorn-pushers, it's going to continue to happen.

As far as I can tell, the only one who's been punished for it in recent history is Nick Clegg, and that's because he was dumb/honest enough (delete depending on your level of cynicism) to own up and apologise for it, rather than bluster and brush under all neighbouring carpets.

That's the problem - anyone who takes much of an interest in some of these charlatans knows their track records. But for many people politics is either too boring or too complex to take much of an interest in. So they resort to voting for 'personalities', or latch on to a simple catchphrase that they can repeat like a mantra without REALLY thinking about the truth of it or the implications it might have. And once they have nailed their colours to that particular mast they will stick with their chosen one absolutely no matter what failed policies and broken promises ensue, ready to accept any deflection of blame (whether that be placed on 'the Russians', 'the Mexicans', 'Europe', 'immigrants', 'the other party' or any other convenient 'them' - anyone who isn't 'us' must be demonised of course). Depressing.

As far as I can tell, the only one who's been punished for it in recent history is Nick Clegg, and that's because he was dumb/honest enough (delete depending on your level of cynicism) to own up and apologise for it, rather than bluster and brush under all neighbouring carpets.

I agree with you, Zero and Marked Ox.

But, Clegg - Vice President of Global Affairs and Communications at Facebook, I could take that sort of punishment.

Cast your minds back to the early 90's, when Neil Kinnock was with his missus at the seaside and he fell over. Everybody thought he was a pillock, or whatever. He then lost the '92 election to 'exciting' John Major.
Did any of you see Bo Jo (or blow job, as I call him) at Wembley a few years back, playing in a charity football match? He charged straight up to that player and body-checked him in the guts, like a clue-less, oafish buffoon. Everyone thought it was hilarious. He was also given a rugby ball and charged into a young Japanese? boy, knocking him flying to the ground. The buffoon.
And so comes my question. Will he make this country look like buffoons when he's given the serious task of leading this country?
When he meets Donald Chump and they go to shake hands, will we be able to tell them apart? Will they accidently head-butt each other? I cringe at the thought of this political marriage.

Fair play to Boris for taking the advice of his campaign staff. The ‘show your woman who’s in charge’ tactic will really appeal to the Tory membership.

Love all this “well at least Boris is a Brexiteer and that’s what we need now” rhetoric. He made a last minute call to jump on the bandwagon because he felt it was his best tactic in eventually getting the keys. That’s all this has ever been for him - he cares only about being PM. Now that he’s about to move in to No. 10 you’re going to start seeing what he really thinks and feels.

I think the Brexit pantomime has only just started.

Yep, and there's a 'Boris watch' thread running. All contributions gratefully received, whether positive :) or negative.

How a man highly likely to be crowned PM in a few weeks time could be so stupid as to get involved (allegedly) in a loud 'domestic' with his girlfriend in the dead of night is beyond me, but The Guardian apparently have a recording from a neighbour.
Yes Pete. I honestly can't see how this man is fit to be PM, just can't.

Missing the point is precisely what remainers have done since the words "second referendum" were first uttered.
Presumably you mean the 'leave means leave' point? The hollow rhetoric of a government unable to make the numerous critically informed 'points' to the electorate, thus the scaremongers were able to capitalise. Certainly, the electorate could have done a little more research too, but the liars and double dealers, combined with the lazy, brings us to where we are today.

Really? JFK and Clinton, who are deemed two of the best 20th Century US presidents weren't dreaming of running through fields of wheat when the wives were otherwise entertained, and Winston Churchill drank a vat of whiskey for breakfast.

Bush was a teetotal fitness freak and loyal to his wife. I don't think George W, is going to go down in political history as a popular US president. The Maybot, Church every Sunday, clean as a whistle. The worst PM in living memory, with the least charisma. Even Hitler didn't play around Eve Brown's back. Your argument is utter nonsense.

Presumably you mean the 'leave means leave' point? The hollow rhetoric of a government unable to make the numerous critically informed 'points' to the electorate, thus the scaremongers were able to capitalise. Certainly, the electorate could have done a little more research too, but the liars and double dealers, combined with the lazy, brings us to where we are today.

It may have been used as hollow rhetoric by Tories over the three years but it's actually an important point, when you peel back the layers.

Back
Top Bottom