National News Next Prime Minister

Absolutely terrible hour of TV that was less informative than I feared. Matlis struggled to really corral the candidates (not a personal criticism of her, to be clear) so we could actually hear what they said. I don't think anyone learned anything other than what they went in with. Apart from Rory Stewart's power pose on the stool. Did he have sweaty balls or something? Bit weird;

I bet the Maybot is laughing right now.

Javid looked to have the least interesting or distinctive things to say. Stewart was the most different, but also a bit inexperienced in how to handle it (but I quite like that). Johnson, Gove and Hunt were as expected.
If it was me, I'd vote for Stewart, but that's because I'm not a Tory. He should take note of Malcolm Turnbull's fate in Oz, and find himself a different party rather than risk ending up leading a party who don't match his ethics.

Absolutely terrible hour of TV that was less informative than I feared. Matlis struggled to really corral the candidates (not a personal criticism of her, to be clear) so we could actually hear what they said. I don't think anyone learned anything other than what they went in with. Apart from Rory Stewart's power pose on the stool. Did he have sweaty balls or something? Bit weird;

I bet the Maybot is laughing right now.
isnt that 'confindent ' pose documented in one of Dr Desmond Morris' books? (Manwatching I think? )

blustering hot air blowers the lot of them ... and I agree Matlis struggled to keep (any of) them in order

another vote from tory MPs tomorrow on who they want as the next PM

isnt that 'confindent ' pose documented in one of Dr Desmond Morris' books? (Manwatching I think? )

blustering hot air blowers the lot of them ... and I agree Matlis struggled to keep (any of) them in order

another vote from tory MPs tomorrow on who they want as the next PM
It must be, but it came across as a bit odd in that environment. Like when Trump hovered behind Clinton in the debates they had. Stand out for the wrong reasons.

The Tory party can fairly cull 3 or 4 of the candidates and lose nothing.

It must be, but it came across as a bit odd in that environment. Like when Trump hovered behind Clinton in the debates they had. Stand out for the wrong reasons.

The Tory party can fairly cull 3 or 4 of the candidates and lose nothing.
But apart from Boris the others are really close. Hunt 2nd on 46, Javid last on 33 so it wouldn't be fair to cull yet. Tomorrow may well have a clear second so maybe then.

As far as performances go, which after all is what it was about, I think that Jeremy Hunt was the most polished. Boris Johnson came across as a bumbling buffoon who was the archetypical representation of an old school conservative, Sajid Javid was underwhelming and Michael Gove was like a Thunderbirds wanabee. Rory Stewart, as much as I like him, needs to have some body language coaching and keep his tie on. He does not look prime ministerial, and sadly looks count.
I doubt the party faithful would take the risk with him frankly, and are more likely to stick with what they know.

Things that really pissed me off-

Johnson-not remembering a callers name and referring him to him as 'my friend from........Bristol'
Gove-his patronising reference to his own having been adopted and his so called desire to invest in education (having royally screwed it up when he was minister for education.
Javid-frequent references to 'focussing the mind' re brexit (I suffered a Clotet flashback)
All of them for competing to be the most sincere.

Johnson-not remembering a callers name and referring him to him as 'my friend from........Bristol'
This was interesting. I am terrible at remembering names, but the question was one directed at Boris about how casually racist language has consequences. Boris then forgetting his name would have impacted every muslim watching. Like I said, I am terrible at remembering names, but I remembered he was called Abdullah simply because Boris forgot!

Ah, but Boris did refer to his 'muslin grandfather', although not by name.....

Mrs YR watched the debate, but I didn’t. However I unfortunately caught 5 mins of it.

In those few minutes I saw candidates talking over one another. The presenter constantly interrupting. Rory Stewart’s pose was odd, very odd.

I thought Emily Maitlis was poor, and was rudely interrupting Boris more than the others. Hunt came across better than the others and I felt Stewart looked out of his depth.

Every time I see or hear politicians I dislike them more and more though.

But apart from Boris the others are really close. Hunt 2nd on 46, Javid last on 33 so it wouldn't be fair to cull yet. Tomorrow may well have a clear second so maybe then.
And that is the hard part! In terms of opinion/policy, they are close and last night felt like 3 men with basically the same opinion trying to say they are different. And Rory Stewart. I wonder if the Rory Stewart bubble burst a little when he got a bit exposed as a waffler. His time will come, in a good way.

With so many opinions, it allows Boris to continue to hide in the background.

Still remain firmly behind Rory, power pose or not!
Its not his preferred format, eg: A poorly managed shouting match. His "Rory Walks" are building a lot of momentum within the membership, unfortunately we have to see what hand we get dealt by the MP`s which will be Boris + A N Other.
From last night:
Javid weakened his position by being repetitive and raising Islamophobia, flagging up divisive issues unites nobody. Deal with that stuff when the ship is stable.
Gove has a natural ability to look & sound like a privileged school boy, bit of a "post turtle" IMHO.
Boris was Boris..... he`s a bit of a Tyson Fury character, heavy weight puncher with issues and a lot going on in the background. Real Marmite.
Hunt was very polished & smart, but he`s a Remainer who will pay the price, probably on the membership ballot.

Boris came out pretty unscathed, which is all he needed to do.
Waffled n fudged around the brexit halloween date did the fatberg (...as did the others)...waffled, fudged and blustered over fellow hopefuls and ignored the show host in the main
Still , as all but a hundred thousand party members get to vote on the next pm, all he has to do is appeal to them and the former bullingdon club member gets in ..... imo johnson as pm/leader will be a disaster for the future of Britain...& despite assertions previously it seems he wont be laying infront of bulldozers to stop heathrow airport expanding! Nor despite his well reported comments when brown replaced blair, hypocritically he wont call for a general election for a new pm (himself?) to be elected by the country

And the lo rent trump wannabe is reported to have spouted off in a derogatory manner about families affected by 7/7 terrorist attacks....hardly pm material imo

My favourite part was when Saj mugged them all and got a commitment to having a full enquiry into anti-muslim sentiment within the Tory party :) - "I get it" Gove took more than his 12 mins (1hr/5) convincing us he came from the sewer and was the bulldog to highlight Labours shortfalls/anti semitism problems and swat Corbyn. Jeremy "Handmaids tale" Hunt seemed happy to sit there and say SFA - really weak. Boris bumbled around saying nothing of substance and being careful not to contradict the billions of different promises he has made behind closed doors. Worrying that he cannot even remember his "good friends" name after 30 seconds (!!) and that he wasn't pressed more on his huge gaffs which have left our citizens rotting in Iranian jails - he has also got some crap to hoover up on what he has said about Trump. Saj seemed the least prepared and was clearly flying by his seat - Rory was the most measured, relaxed, laughing at the others and on account of being the only Maybot, and parliament being split on a no deal, seems nailed on for the heads up match - what I like about THAT is that he will surely highlight that we have a chance to properly fund NHS, education, social care, mental health, housing and everything else that is broken here, rather than promise to provide billions in tax cuts

The presenter was truly awful and could not keep them either on topic or within their allotted time. Kay Burley next? Yuk - get Laura Kuenssberg involved - complete passive aggressive dragon - Amazing that their opening statements about leaving 31/10 unless a deal was just a few days were not quizzed further - Rory suggested they were moot and their solutions impossible to implement! She let it pass so we learned nothing.

It would have been better and much more fun to watch if there was a clock ticking down (say 30 seconds) from when they began talking, and if they went beyond their time an electric shock was administered through the chairs. Why we can't just get down to 2 now and do away with the daily votes shows what a theatre UK politics is.

Game theory dictates that unless there is a credible threat to leaving on 31/10 the EU won't change their stance on renegotiating Mays deal. Boris seemed to suggest that we will therefore just leave on 31/10 and the EU will then be forced to rapidly come to the table -100% agree - he suggests that nothing will change in terms of trade or people flow, as we will be in a (lengthy) transitional period whilst a blueprint would need to be agreed. I suspect this will go on for years and they even suggested that we might still be paying into EU projects even if we do leave. New wallpaper, same room. The thought of any of these 5 being the next PM is truly frightening. None are credible but then neither are the EU - suggesting there may be tariffs is ridiculous whilst the German economy totters on the edge. Their multinationals will just not allow it.

They might be determined within the walls of the EU to make a example of us and ensure we are seem to be worse off "out" than "in" but we aren't Norway, Switzerland or Canada. Our deal will be bespoke and that will lead to other goldfish jumping out of the bowl. The UK will be around long after the EU experiment has been buried.

interesting survey of (879) tory party members views regarding their priorities re Brexit , the future of the UK, and the potential of Tory party being destroyed, Scotland and NI remaining in the Union etc :oops:..... these are the views of the few people who get to vote on their party leader , who will be imposed as PM on the UK ...oh dear!

64389290_10158288003952289_3639022375678246912_n.jpg

Waffled n fudged around the brexit halloween date did the fatberg (...as did the others)...waffled, fudged and blustered over fellow hopefuls and ignored the show host in the main
Still , as all but a hundred thousand party members get to vote on the next pm, all he has to do is appeal to them and the former bullingdon club member gets in ..... imo johnson as pm/leader will be a disaster for the future of Britain...& despite assertions previously it seems he wont be laying infront of bulldozers to stop heathrow airport expanding! Nor despite his well reported comments when brown replaced blair, hypocritically he wont call for a general election for a new pm (himself?) to be elected by the country
The show host was interrupting at every opportunity. Clearly had it in for Boris. Just let the speakers answer the questions. A mini version of Laura Kuernnsberg.

Rory was the most measured, relaxed, laughing at the others and on account of being the only Maybot, and parliament being split on a no deal, seems nailed on for the heads up match - what I like about THAT is that he will surely highlight that we have a chance to properly fund NHS, education, social care, mental health, housing and everything else that is broken here, rather than promise to provide billions in tax cuts

They might be determined within the walls of the EU to make a example of us and ensure we are seem to be worse off "out" than "in" but we aren't Norway, Switzerland or Canada. Our deal will be bespoke and that will lead to other goldfish jumping out of the bowl. The UK will be around long after the EU experiment has been buried.

Spot on !! (y) (y)

Back
Top Bottom