Next Manager

How much do you think the U23 set up has cost tiger? 10 extra players, coaches and an excellent appointment in Dan harris + the running costs. i would suggest this is at least an extra £500k per year added to the club running costs post Eales. tiger is spending money (certainly more than Eales in his last 18 months). including transfer fees for players. It is just that the players it has been spent on has been foolish and we now must get it right.

The u23 is a good long term investment by tiger but Is it an extra £500 000 added to the clubs running costs or is it being subtracted from the 1st team playing budget.

The u23 is a good long term investment by tiger but Is it an extra £500 000 added to the clubs running costs or is it being subtracted from the 1st team playing budget.

Exactly this. It all comes from the same pot.

Probably wouldn’t be having this discussion if all the players had stayed fit.
Very probably not. But (as has been said many many times) there is not a single club that doesn't get injuries throughout the course of a season and with a number of unfit players being retained (Hall) or signed (Mackie, Holmes) and others who tend not to play a full season (Obika) or have never done so (Browne, Whyte) then you really do stack the odds against yourself. Certainly unlucky with Carruthers being out all season until now though.

The Franchise had an attacking force of Will Grigg, Benik Afobe and Dele Alli that season. That's absolutely ludicrous for League One level, no wonder they scored 101 goals that season. Was that down to Robinson or was he just very fortunate to acquire 3 incredible players for this level? He guided them to the playoffs on 2 occasions before that, with an inherited squad which just missed out the year before with Paul Ince.

He's still extremely young for a football manager and the jury is very much out on his successes. Was there more luck than building ability at MK?

Also, which managers are available to replace him with? I haven't done the research yet!

Ah, you mean the MK Dons he ran out of steam with and got sacked by after getting them relegated and then proceeding to struggle badly in the league below, and then the Charlton he lasted a year or so at before 'leaving', much to the relief of the fans who then watched a novice manager turn the same team around and get into the playoffs, and then the Oxford he's taken a point a game with across nearly a season of football while winning once away from home? Perfect. The man has spent one season in the Championship across what, nine years of management, and that means he must be good? Judge what's in front of you, and what his record over the last three years or so has been like across three different League One clubs. Otherwise your argument holds about as much water as me standing in the middle of Trafalgar Square after the 2014 World Cup humiliation, or the Iceland debacle of Euro 2016, and shouting, "We won the World Cup once, and we got to a semi in 1990, and we did alright in Euro '96, how dare you say England are rubbish!"

If you think his record since he turned up here isn't incredibly poor, if you think he didn't hugely underachieve at Charlton given what the exact same squad of players did immediately after he left, and if you think he had a good last year or so at MK, more power to you. But he didn't, and I'll judge him on that, not on one promotion to the second tier in nearly a decade of football management. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Since the summer of 2015 he has done nothing but fail, and that's three and a half years.
Difficult to dispute that analysis I find

So he recalled him, stuck him in the championship despite him not being ready and having a decent right back rather than let him stay with us and get the game time he needed?

George was with us on loan for 12 months, in that period he got key game time and improved considerably. One year on he was ready for the championship and went straight back into the Dons team.
By the way, I’m not a Robinson fan but I do think he handled the George situation okay.

I think you have to credit the job he did at MK. Including the Baldock loan.

They played fantastic football and signed some excellent players, threw money at it to some extent.

I dont think hes a bad manager per se. Hes average at least and has a decent rep in football. Unfortunately he got his summer recruitment so badly wrong, it will unfortunately cost him a (decent) reputation and us our league 1 status.

Much like Mourinho, the clever managers never walk out on a football contract. I am aware that KR comes from that very same school of thought. I don't suspect for one minute he doesn't fear the boot or realises he is under huge huge pressure BUT he is also very cock-sure about himself and he knows if he is to leave, he'll be walking away with a wad of cash.

And for anyone close enough to the club, they'll know that the above is very very true;) - he's waiting to get the boot I reckon.

Actually Robinson was always aware of George’s talent at MK Dons, it was him that pushed George to full back rather than midfield which is where he started. He was proved right in loaning George to us as he needed game time, at that point he wasn’t ready for championship football. He also had a decent right back playing at that time. To me that shows good player management rather than the opposite.

Don't let facts, football knowledge and common sense get in the way of bashing our manager!! He is clearly an idiot who knows nothing about football, is lucky when he wins (because he had great players to pick) and is useless when he loses (because he picks crocks!). He foolishly puts the development of one of our own young players ahead of playing Smith in the last days of his loan spell, adapts systems and players to get results but secretly hating every one that wasn't on his fantasy football wall chart and having the damn cheek to moan about our stadium (that we moan about), the referees (that we moan about) and dropping underperforming players (that we demanded to be dropped).

Horton out!!!

He foolishly puts the development of one of our own young players ahead of playing Smith in the last days of his loan spell
Blimey. Talk about rewriting (very recent) history.
Smith was left out because he was useless. Putting him on the pitch in a league game had proved to be completely ineffective. Robinson did not 'decide' to put the development of Spasov ahead of Smith - he had to resort to playing a real youngster to try to salvage something because his signing (Smith) wasn't up to it!
'Adapts systems' - really? I look forward to a time when we have more than one striker on the pitch, rather than a converted old wide player and a couple of young wide players.
There is certainly a discussion to be had about the merits of the manager (and I would actually agree that encouraging young players is one of his plus points) but let's not make stuff up.

I think people are getting lost in the nitty-gritty of debate. Of course people are going to find fair points to argue on both sides of the fence but one look at the table is all I need I’m afraid. Nobody can convince me there isn’t somebody else out there who can do a better job. It’s nothing personal but I just think he’s had his chance and failed so needs to move aside. That’s football management I’m afraid, Robinson will know that more than anybody and can’t have any complaints if Tiger does what any other club manager would do. Nobody is safe if they don’t perform as Mourinho will tell you.

Blimey. Talk about rewriting (very recent) history.
Smith was left out because he was useless. Putting him on the pitch in a league game had proved to be completely ineffective. Robinson did not 'decide' to put the development of Spasov ahead of Smith - he had to resort to playing a real youngster to try to salvage something because his signing (Smith) wasn't up to it!
'Adapts systems' - really? I look forward to a time when we have more than one striker on the pitch, rather than a converted old wide player and a couple of young wide players.
There is certainly a discussion to be had about the merits of the manager (and I would actually agree that encouraging young players is one of his plus points) but let's not make stuff up.

But did Robinson not get stick on here for not picking Smith against Rovers? I agree that Smith was not up to speed and others were deserving of a chance but others used this as a stick to beat the manager with!

For me, if Tiger is to sack Karl, then he should already have his replacement lined up. We cannot afford weeks/months of a recruitment process. Do we trust Tiger to do this and get the right man? My worry is we will end up worse off, be careful what you wish for!

I believe it's better to stick with Karl, get some good players in this window and get everybody behind the team so we can stay up and then replace him at the end of the season with someone whom has been considered over time with due diligence that can take us forward.

Amazing how Oxford are the only league club with loads of injuries.
Every single club gets injuries Karl, but not every manager blames a defeat on this. Change the flipping record.

Every club has injuries but it is rare to have so many key players out at the same time.
Holmes - Key player whether he starts or impact sub
Carruthers - Would start, if not he would certainly make an impact off the bench
Hall - Excellent impact sub
Baptiste - Would of been able to give one of the midfield players a rest without moving Ruffles out of position

All those players would be in the match day squad too so in that respect I do have sympathy with Robinson that he is lacking options on the bench. Cue the argument of the recruitment but the staff went for quality over quantity rather than a bigger squad like we had under Pep. MApp used to do the same when he was building the squad.

Amazing how Oxford are the only league club with loads of injuries.
Every single club gets injuries Karl, but not every manager blames a defeat on this. Change the flipping record.

In fairness, loads of managers moan about injuries, suspensions, poor referees and so on. It's just that we don't take notice because it has nothing to do with us. You occasionally get the odd manager who openly praises the opposition or holds their hands up to an error but they are exceptionally rare. The vast majority look to blame so one, and KR is no different.

In fairness, loads of managers moan about injuries, suspensions, poor referees and so on. It's just that we don't take notice because it has nothing to do with us. You occasionally get the odd manager who openly praises the opposition or holds their hands up to an error but they are exceptionally rare. The vast majority look to blame so one, and KR is no different.

Exactly. Look at that clown Evans after our game at Peterborough.

Robinson is plenty of things but he's certainly no fake. I'm not calling for his head yet, We were playing excellent football in late 2018 and we can do so again. The squad has been threadbare for a month - that's not necessarily all Robinson's fault. and reinforcements have been/ will be signed. (Late edit : His tenure will be determined. by who he gets in to replaces Nelson.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom