EPL Newcastle finally being sold

Er there is a slight difference to what Saudi do and underpaying people.
I’m quite aware of that thank you
Either way it just shows how corrupt football is one day the Saudis pay of bein sport 750m the next they are allowed to buy Newcastle

Perhaps you could look into the history of Garibaldi Thohir? His earliest? company PT Allied IndoCoal started business in 1987, while Suharto was president of Indonesia. Suharto was hardly an angel, "orchestrating pogroms that killed hundreds of thousands of suspected communists and sympathizers and unleashed broader violence, eviscerating the rule of law and making the military his prime instrument of social control. With censorship integral to his rule, he left precious little space even for discussion of his policies."

Nobody ever got a mining licence in a dictatorship without being a supporter of the ruling party. Am I saying this is worse that Saudi? No. Am I suggesting that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones? Just a bit. The difference is that in Indonesia human rights were sacrificed to 'stop communism' (i.e. maintain a capitalist empire) whereas in Saudi they're sacrificed for a religion our betters want us to feel is a bit dodgy.
I did wonder when someone would raise the question of our owners. Obviously the son isn’t the father, and I’m sure they are all very decent and upright folk, but there can’t be many very rich people without something dubious in their background. I’m really not alleging anything at all but we shouldn’t assume they are just our lovely generous new mates.

I did wonder when someone would raise the question of our owners. Obviously the son isn’t the father, and I’m sure they are all very decent and upright folk, but there can’t be many very rich people without something dubious in their background. I’m really not alleging anything at all but we shouldn’t assume they are just our lovely generous new mates.
Making a million is a local person come good. Make a billion is a local person come to take the rest of everyone else.

I hope this makes sense. I’ve had a few.

Last edited:
IMHO, To the average ‘fan’ the only thing that matters to them is ‘their’ football team having the financial clout to do well ….or perhaps to just survive?. Human rights etc are not of concern provided loads of cash gets thrown at it. A bit like political party donations.

You can glue yourself to a motorway but it won’t change a thing….It is what it is…

I note Sky were referring to such takeovers as ‘football washing’ this morning . I guess the phrase. ‘money laundering’ is too emotive?

IMHO, To the average ‘fan’ the only thing that matters to them is ‘their’ football team having the financial clout to do well ….or perhaps to just survive?. Human rights etc are not of concern provided loads of cash gets thrown at it. A bit like political party donations.

You can glue yourself to a motorway but it won’t change a thing….It is what it is…

I note Sky were referring to such takeovers as ‘football washing’ this morning . I guess the phrase. ‘money laundering’ is too emotive?
Would you be happy if OUFC were taken over by the Taliban or the Nazis then? It wouldn't really matter how many leagues we won in that case.

It is not about money laundering - it is more about 'image laundering'. So a murderous and repressive regime invests in sport - and they are hoping that it improves how they are perceived.

It is not about money laundering - it is more about 'image laundering'. So a murderous and repressive regime invests in sport - and they are hoping that it improves how they are perceived.

Except in Sunderland presumably.

Would you be happy if OUFC were taken over by the Taliban or the Nazis then? It wouldn't really matter how many leagues we won in that case.
And the Nazis would go into the opposition changing room before the game and it would be
“ you vin ve shoot you lose you will live “

Back
Top Bottom