Local News New TVP CC

Sarge

God like member
John Campbell .... been seetting his views/intentions on local tv
Box ticking with soundbites it seemed to me

Time will tell how TVP will actually operate under his tenure.....says I stating the obvious ;)

Why are you so anti Police?
Im not as it goes... a very close relative of mine did his 25years in tvp/ well some of that time was oxford city police tvp starting in the late 60s early 70s .... I mentioned that theres a new tvp chief constable whos been on local media outlets today in the "in the news" section of yf, as it is news!, Im mystified how the opening post could be viewed as 'anti police' in any way @Didcotox ?

Last edited:
i cannot recall the exact thread but I do recall some comments from you with negative undertones towards the Police. Certainly your comment in this thread suggest to me some negativity, and I just wondered why? I don’t know how your last sentence could be interpreted any other way but negative.

For what it’s worth, the new Chief Constable delivered a speech at a recent seminar I went to and I found him particularly engaging. I’d describe him as a breath of fresh air and appeared to be a more old school type of Police Officer. I also got to have a five minute chat with him on a one to one and instantly liked him. On another note, I also know a PA at HQTVP who was herself very complimentary about him.

So, what did you mean by you are stating the obvious of how TVP will operate under his tenure? Just with regards football policy or something wider?

i cannot recall the exact thread but I do recall some comments from you with negative undertones towards the Police. Certainly your comment in this thread suggest to me some negativity, and I just wondered why? I don’t know how your last sentence could be interpreted any other way but negative.

For what it’s worth, the new Chief Constable delivered a speech at a recent seminar I went to and I found him particularly engaging. I’d describe him as a breath of fresh air and appeared to be a more old school type of Police Officer. I also got to have a five minute chat with him on a one to one and instantly liked him. On another note, I also know a PA at HQTVP who was herself very complimentary about him.

So, what did you mean by you are stating the obvious of how TVP will operate under his tenure? Just with regards football policy or something wider?
Time will tell how tvp operate under his( their new CC) tenure... is stating the obvious, as until hes been in the job a while no one will know will they? No one can know, , unless theyre clairvoyant

I give my opinion on all sorts of subjects on yf, the last time i mentioned tvp /as an opinion in relation to football was, I think , regsrding the potentially serious situation post man city game, where I got caught up in the dangerous area which had been narrowed by a fenced off badly parked team coach outside the quadrangle...i helped a female and her youngster up in the crush after stumbling in the crush myself. There were two officers observing the situation in close proximity if memory serves, there were also a number of stewards, none of whom at the time reacted or used initiative to try and alievate the situation.

In previous incarnations of yf following specific incidents /situations ive commented my opinion regarding how situations at oufc home and away games were or wasnt policed. Fact is tvp have been admonished on a couple of occasions by the courts for their handling or mishandling (as a judge/or magistrate said in court at the time) of situations around oufc hom3 games.

Since @PC956S has been oufc (and wwfc) football liason officer (not sure if ive got the job title right there?) There have been very noticiable and very positive changes to policing on matchdays...and a friendlier more approachable style of policing football crowds by most officers on duty at our home games. Definitely ,IMO ,a positive change for the better in comparison to the recent past when it did appear that some elements of tvp on matchday duty at matches with a big crowd for u's home games had an agenda of sorts , and all football supporters (certainly oufc ones) were tarred with the outdated perception tjat football supporters were 2nd class citizens. When Amanda Jacks of football supporters federation visited a home game (v northampton a few season s ago?)she was astounded that the then heavy handed, confrontational & provactive style of policing football matches that she witnessed first hand was still being used anywhere in England.
In general when the police go from upholding the law (as is their duty) to acting like they ARE the law, i think that is the time to call then to task about thier actions. As would most people too.

Football supporters of a certain age will always be cautious of large numbers of police in body armour and 'tooled up' , not because of anything the indivual has done, but decades of being badly treated abd worse, in and around football matches for some decades, bears out the old adage once bitten twice shy

Generally the police had a hard , unenviable job to do , and with less resources in recent times. Im not anti police at all, i do however, as already said, give my opinion on incidents ,events and the like ive witnessed personally or ive been told about by someone whos word and recollections i trust implicitly. If there was policing involved and I dont think it was right Ill say so, as is my right to have an option and to voice it. Freedom of speech that. I often dont agree with someone elses opinion on a plethora of things, however they have the same right to voice their opinion
Following debate and exchanges of views i have been know to change my opinion too. I may not agree with someones outlook on any subject but thier right to hold thier opinion is, to me, something i support 100%.

How do you cope with people who see things in a different way than you do @Didcotox would you say you tolerant or intolerant?

Last edited:
I would say I am very pro Police, however, I would agree with you that the way football fans in this country are treated is archaic to say the least. I don’t believe this is a TVP issue alone but a national problem. I will often be critical of how football is Policed at our games, and I thought the number of Police at the Sunderland game was excessive. I commented as such in the match thread.
You have an argumentative tone about you. Who said I am being intolerant of some of your views around Policing at football? Rather jumping the gun I would suggest.

I would say I am very pro Police, however, I would agree with you that the way football fans in this country are treated is archaic to say the least. I don’t believe this is a TVP issue alone but a national problem. I will often be critical of how football is Policed at our games, and I thought the number of Police at the Sunderland game was excessive. I commented as such in the match thread.
You have an argumentative tone about you. Who said I am being intolerant of some of your views around Policing at football? Rather jumping the gun I would suggest.
Jump the Gun ....now youre talking , decent shop that , down in Brighton ;)

I dont aim to be argumentative (not often that is ;)), though i do accept my choice of words can , dependant on individual interpretation and application, on occasion be percieved that way, albeit usually wrongly. Im impressed that you can detect a tone in te written comments on a football forum, my hearing these days struggles to hear some tones n the real world, never mind on here :sneaky:

( in case you miss it ,the above are intended as jovial, tongue in cheek type comments in response to your last post on this thread btw as in an attempt, granted not great, at humour ;)

We agree that policing at football hasnt been exemplary, different areas, depending on who is in the hot seat running operations, can and does vary. Its not a single police authority issue I agree with that too

I wasnt suggesting at all that you were being intolerant of my views re policing football, i was asking if ,in general terms, you see you see your self as tolerant or intolerant of any other individuals right to an opinion ,that differs from yours?

Police at Football are much different to Police outside of football. Most see football police which isn't always a good record of them.