General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Kidlington resident, I can confirm that the number one Kidlington NIMBY Fear is "Parking".

The NIMBYs of Kidlington will tell you that they already have problems with people from outside of the village parking along the main road to either use the High Street or to Catch a Bus into Town (even though there's two Park and Rides minutes away).

As a point of interest, the Kidlington NIMBY will also try to bend your ear over the rush-hour traffic running through the village. So let's hope Oxford United do not plan any 9am Kick Offs as this would really send them into a state of emergency!

More generally, I would like to point out that the Kidlington NIMBY is also a cunning creature. One such cunning NIMBY, actively sought to stop a development of mine along the Banbury Road because he was already worried about people parking on the main road when they would visit Brookwoood Accountancy. This Cunning NIMBY (Nice Guy actually, he bought me a beer) openly told me that he and the wife were in the livingroom of the CDC planner every night begging him to deign planning permission.

I'm not sure why the wife was there but I think the Cunning NIMBY offered her services to the CDC Planner as a sweetener?
(Behind every cunning NIMBY man is a slightly more cunning NIMBY woman with various degrees of flexibility)

One more Kidlington NIMBY-ism of note is that of confusion and ill logic... The Average Kidlington NIMBY will tell you that village doesn't have half the shops it used to and that the Parade hasn't been the same since Mrs O'Malley ran the fruit and veg shop. They will also tell you of wonders, Kidlington long forgotten past such as the fabled Kidlington cinema, the circus, the parties of Richard Branson and indeed the Kidlington elephant.

BUT DO THEY WANT SOMETHING NEW? Do they fck. They're still struggling with the *New Sainsbury's.

The Possible Solution to the Kidlington NIMBY Menace:

Deliver them permit holding parking separately and before the Stadium application.

It would catch them off guard and send back into there borrows to think about the elephant now long since gone.

Last edited:
I mean internally. As Karl alluded to the other day, he knew (well I think we all knew) about the plans to move away from the Kassam/new stadium etc

Well yes I know internally they have. But they must know it isn't just going to be plain sailing. Erick has done similar at dc united and that took a couple of years to go through planning.

I think some people from Kidlington need a reality check with this 'village' nonsense. It isn't a quaint little village such as Burford or Minster Lovell. It's bigger than towns such as Thame and not as nice. There is a lot of snobbery coming to the fore.

Last edited:
Well that’s me convinced. Many valid points made here. Not sure how the club or council can come back after this.
We are told by those who are in the know that this has been looked at in great depth
We can only assume they have looked at exactly this sort of thing and taken advice because if not what is the point because at some stage it will be overturned

I think people from Kidlington need a reality check with this 'village' nonsense. It isn't a quaint little village such as Burford or Minster Lovell. It's bigger than towns such as Thame and not as nice. There is a lot of snobbery coming to the fore.

To be fair, Thame is the jewel of Oxfordshire, it's hard to live up to it....

As a Kidlington resident, I can confirm that the number one Kidlington NIMBY Fear is "Parking".

The NIMBYs of Kidlington will tell you that they already have problems with people from outside of the village parking along the main road to either use either the High Street or to Catch a Bus into Town (even though there's two Park and Rides minutes away).

As a point of interest, the Kidlington NIMBY will also try to bend your ear over the rush-hour traffic running through the village. So let's hope Oxford United do not plan any 9am Kick Offs as this would really send them into a state of emergency!

More generally, I would like to point out that the Kidlington NIMBY is also a cunning creature. One such cunning NIMBY, actively sought to stop a development of mine along the Banbury Road because he was already worried about people parking on the main road when they would visit Brookwoood Accountancy. This Cunning NIMBY (Nice Guy actually, he bought me a beer) openly told me that he and the wife were in the livingroom of the CDC planner every night begging him to deign planning permission.

I'm not sure why the wife was there but I think the Cunning NIMBY offered her services to the CDC Planner as a sweetener?
(Behind every cunning NIMBY man is a slightly more cunning NIMBY woman with various degrees of flexibility)

One more Kidlington NIMBY-ism of note is that of confusion and ill logic... The Average Kidlington NIMBY will tell you that village doesn't have half the shops it used to and that the Parade hasn't been the same since Mrs O'Malley ran the fruit and veg shop. They will also tell you get wonders of Kidlington long forgotten past such as the fabled Kidlington cinema, the circus, the parties of Richard Branson and indeed the Kidlington elephant.

BUT DO THEY WANT SOMETHING NEW? Do they fck. They're still struggling with the *New Sainsbury's.

The Possible Solution to the Kidlington NIMBY Menace:

Deliver them permit holding parking separately and before the Stadium application.

It would catch them off guard and send back into there borrows to think about the elephant now long since gone.
For some reason people seem to forget that unless there are parking restrictions along a stretch of road, anyone from anywhere is legally allowed to park wherever they please unless it causes an obstruction.

One more Kidlington NIMBY-ism of note is that of confusion and ill logic... The Average Kidlington NIMBY will tell you that village doesn't have half the shops it used to and that the Parade hasn't been the same since Mrs O'Malley ran the fruit and veg shop. They will also tell you get wonders of Kidlington long forgotten past such as the fabled Kidlington cinema, the circus, the parties of Richard Branson and indeed the Kidlington elephant.
When they get all misty eyed over the elephant, remind them about the wolves!

I think people from Kidlington need a reality check with this 'village' nonsense. It isn't a quaint little village such as Burford or Minster Lovell. It's bigger than towns such as Thame and not as nice. There is a lot of snobbery coming to the fore.
Kidlington - the quintessential English village.

Gaze in wonder at its beauty. A quaint village green surrounded by beautiful mature oaks. Rows of cottages dotted around the duckpond. Old pubs, Morris Minors and polo.

.... Oh wait that's Kirtlington.

Lumping everyone from Kidlington into one Nimby pot is not helpful or true, there are many non football people in the village who can see that there is a need for excellent facilities to be provided for our sports persons young and old. I spoke to an 86 year old yesterday who was very much in favour and thought it was much needed. Stratfield Brake curently does not provide this and the councils seem increasingly worried about the costs of providing what is there. Some of the comments on this forum about Kidlington residents are winding me up and I'm a supporter. Hearts and minds need to be won over here, and ghat will not be achieved by insulting people.

Kidlington - the quintessential English village.

Gaze in wonder at its beauty. A quaint village green surrounded by beautiful mature oaks. Rows of cottages dotted around the duckpond. Old pubs, Morris Minors and polo.

.... Oh wait that's Kirtlington.
Clueless
The old part around st Mary's church is.
What's that got to do with stratfield brake!!

“ The T-Mobile Stadium Las Kidlington
I think some people from Kidlington need a reality check with this 'village' nonsense. It isn't a quaint little village such as Burford or Minster Lovell. It's bigger than towns such as Thame and not as nice. There is a lot of snobbery coming to the fore.
I get your gist and agree .
But.
Burford is a Town 😉

Simple remedy.
Ban certain street parking on match days, as they do on Greater Leys .”
Exactly, simple solution. Also, the stadium will be used for OUFC matches where they'll be crowds probably a max of 28 times a season and 23 of those dates will be released in June for the year ahead so people can plan ahead.

I would have to counter that by repeating what I posted earlier. The Cabinet agenda, originally, had no mention of OUFC. This was an item simply about a prospective leasing of council land. Following the leak of the letter or, as you put it, "circulated to local sports clubs and was being widely discussed" all mention of OUFC, stadium etc. was deemed "commercially sensitive" and exempted from public viewing.
I maintain that had this remained so, the recommendation to enter negotiations with OUFC would have been passed through Cabinet. The letter itself is dated 7th January 2022, first post on here was 9th January 2022 with a copy of the letter, not addressed or signed. @YellowForever posted on the 9th that he/she had read about the application the day previously, presumably, he/she had seen a copy of the letter on the 8th. Same day postal delivery? I don't think so.

That a public consultation is now the course of action is no big deal, that would have happened anyway and rightly so. What irritates is that the decision yesterday was to agree to enter into negotiations with OUFC on how to lease the plot of land. Not planning, not building just negotiations. There was nothing sly about this process. It had been noted by OCC officials that this agenda item contained information of a sensitive commercial nature and should therefor be subject to exemption from the agenda.

No matter, the process moves on and judging by the comments at the meeting (all bar Mr Hill!) the signs are favourable.
I was shown a copy of the letter at the Lincoln match on the 8th I believe? It was being passed around on Snapchat, probably by someone who works for the council, I didn’t ask where it had come from, obviously I believed it was something that people would maybe want to know about. I asked a friend of mine to screenshot and send me the information, which then I relayed to this forum, only after reading this information myself, I’m not ITK, however from time to time, after being involved more with certain people and fellow fans around the club, I’ve managed to pick up certain information. I think the club knew this would happen, OCC have to make it look like they are taking residents feelings and thoughts seriously. That’s why they took the decision they did. In reality I believe it will get passed at the next meeting, it’s financially favourable as a development for all involved and will bring jobs and help infrastructure of the roads and so on which I’m sure the club will play a part in as it’s in their best interests to get this over the line at the first hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom