General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a representative of the club had to be there, council cabinets should be free to discuss things in meetings without the concerned parties present otherwise they'd never get anything done. We were the 11th item on the agenda after all.

I think the bigger question is who this John Hill bloke is if they're not a member of the cabinet, and why they were allowed to make a wholly untrue statement with the club being offered no right of reply.
Completely correct , somehow a guy who has no facts and no clue was allowed to spout of a l9ad of tripe and not be challenged.
Think this development is too big a project for these local councilors to understand .
Surely its a benefit for the whole of Oxon and needs to be discussed that way .

We’d urge all fans to act carefully following todays meeting.

The consultation period applied is not unusual or unexpected.

Please remember that people can keep tweets, messages and comments as evidence and reasoning to object to the authorities that matter.

Completely correct , somehow a guy who has no facts and no clue was allowed to spout of a l9ad of tripe and not be challenged.
Think this development is too big a project for these local councilors to understand .
Surely its a benefit for the whole of Oxon and needs to be discussed that way .
I agree. Oxfordshire is world renowned county yet the sporting facilities are appalling in comparison. Why does Hill think OUFC ground sharing elsewhere is going to work? He has an ulterior motive surely.

Whilst initially disappointed, in hindsight it's not all that suprising. I've a little experience of committees and panels and the one thing they hate doing is making short snappy decisions. It makes them accountable. The council okaying this today leaves them open to criticism of rushing into it, especially from any dissenters or nimbys, kicking it down the road gives them a chance to read the proposal that I imagine most didn't actually read and get a feel for public opinion. This way, we have more time to show OCC what the community really thinks of this deal. Sign the petition, make your voices heard etc. Think of it as an extra month for the club and community to really make an undeniably popular case for it.

Why? If todays meeting was to discuss whether they can talk about a planning application being submitted, surely that’s where the problems would arise. Jerome and Nick were talking on Saturday about todays meeting and Nick pointed out if it was refused it would dead and buried at least it was deferred but why? Surely if a planning application is submitted then that would give those local residents a chance to inspect the plan as well as all the new infrastructure so that the OCC and local council can generate an overall view form the locals. Doubt whether that would be the end as there would be further afield issues to be addressed, then after all that it’s refused then OUFC can re-submit new plans to take in all the issues that would be raised.
Nothing can be taken for granted and it’s not a done deal but this is our best chance and for one knob( Hill ) spouting bullshit to cause issues you would the council to hold have been able to have a counter argument.

Probably because they’re not run by the Tory party now there you may have got an answer today

Hahahahaha. The local Tories have been fantastically incompetent plenty of times. The Tories left the Vale of White Horse in a financial and organisational mess when the Lib Dems took over for instance. The Tories who had been in majority in OCC for a long time prior to this spell have had plenty of times of incompetence as well.

Imo, often the party doesn't matter, it is the individuals in the authority (whichever party they are a member of) and the mix of type of Councillors (ie. care about their little patch/care about the area as a whole/looking to use it as a stepping stone to national politics) on how successfully the Council operates. That is derived from experience of working for Local Authorities.

So what this needs now is a co-ordinated effort by the club together with the OUSP and Oxvox to provide methods for fans to politely and factually show support for these proposals to those who will make the decisions.

The club imho also needs to educate the Council members about the incorrect information that was put forward today so that any decisions made are based on fact and in particular a good understanding of the wealth and commitment of the ownership.

I agree. Oxfordshire is world renowned county yet the sporting facilities are appalling in comparison. Why does Hill think OUFC ground sharing elsewhere is going to work? He has an ulterior motive surely.
Also, where would we groundshare? Court Place Farm is too small, and the only other stadiums near us that are even the tiniest bit suitable are Stadium MK, Adams Park and the Madejksi. All of them would be taking money and jobs out of the county.

We’d urge all fans to act carefully following todays meeting.

The consultation period applied is not unusual or unexpected.

Please remember that people can keep tweets, messages and comments as evidence and reasoning to object to the authorities that matter.
Quite correct @OxVox. Would you be able to please find out why Mr Hill was able to speak at the meeting but Oxvox were not. Clearly both have partisan views towards the proposals but if one party is allowed to speak then the other should be in the interests of balance and polite challenge.

@OUSP Secretary can you confirm, that the club will have staff members/volunteers with ipad's at Saturday's 10,000 plus crowd, canvassing for signatures on the petition?

It would be absolute folly behavior to overlook Saturday's potential to get support for the new complex.
OxVox already has plans in hand for the petition for Saturday and OUSP is in regular contact with them and is happy to support them in this.

Sorry, but who even is John Hill? He seems to be someone with a vested interest in dragging the club down and making us out to be an unsustainable mess.

If the link somebody posted earlier is accurate then he is a member/committee member of a pressure group (haven't a clue how many members they have) that appear to want to block any development whatsoever; think CPRE Oxford branch type organisation that object to everything.

Lets not get political on this thread. Labour/Conservative/Lib Dem/Green et al. They've all had plenty of f**k ups in plenty of counties.

The fact that a GREEN councillor for South Kidlington is NEUTRAL on the proposal; a development, in his area, on green belt land, shows you that this development has sway.

We don't need to talk about bureaucracy in government, we know it's there, they have their due diligence to do. If this was a development for a great big f**k off incinerator, I'm sure half of us would be pissed off too, so putting things out to consultation is needed. I had hoped this would be passed and that the pre-planning stage be where the consultation would take place; for private developments on private land this would be the case, but given this is the OCC land I can see why they're asking to do so now.

It probably strengthens our case in the long run, as push backs now are much less expensive than during the planning phase, and indeed a 2 month deferral now compared to potentially years in planning is a small price to pay.

I'm planning on doing some research over the coming weeks into some of the wider areas, and might try to talk to some of my contacts at the council. If I find out anything I can say publicly I will, though as we all know, secrecy is sometimes valuable.

If the link somebody posted earlier is accurate then he is a member/committee member of a pressure group (haven't a clue how many members they have) that appear to want to block any development whatsoever; think CPRE Oxford branch type organisation that object to everything.
So a vested interest. How the hell did he get a chance to speak and essentially run OUFC down in such a public manner?

Ive written to my County Councillor, who is a Headington lad himself

asking how Mr Hill was invited to speak (against) yet no invitation was extended to OUFC

I also asked why the majority of county councillors were totally unprepared (as in had no grasp whatsoever of seemingly any FACTS) regarding an item they were supposed to be voting on. Hence the item was deferred. I also asked if he could remind his fellow County Councillors that many Oxford United supporters, as well as friends and family of them, are constituents in the Council seats they currently hold/ represent.

Let us know if you get a reply and post it on here @Sarge

Let us know if you get a reply and post it on here @Sarge
id like to think any, and all, OUFC supporters would contact their County Councillor asking the same questions ( etc)

@Horse ( I think?) posted a list a few pages back on this thread that lists all county councillors (and their email addresses)

to save searching , here it is again ...

Can't we use the blokes lack of understanding and untruths to discredit his argument going forward?

Bearing in mind, if we pass the first stage there's going to mountains of words written, evidence gathered and meetings like this on a constant basis, they'll simply be the views of one person.

The question does remain why someone who isn't a County Councillor got to speak about this and why he was allowed to put across a view that couldn't be challenged. As much as some of the other councillor's fence-sitting viewpoints irked us, they were actually fair, considerate to all views and some who expressed some warmth to the project.

All isn't lost, folks. I do think that Bakrie and co do need to up their plans and PR for this.

Hahahahaha. The local Tories have been fantastically incompetent plenty of times. The Tories left the Vale of White Horse in a financial and organisational mess when the Lib Dems took over for instance. The Tories who had been in majority in OCC for a long time prior to this spell have had plenty of times of incompetence as well.

Imo, often the party doesn't matter, it is the individuals in the authority (whichever party they are a member of) and the mix of type of Councillors (ie. care about their little patch/care about the area as a whole/looking to use it as a stepping stone to national politics) on how successfully the Council operates. That is derived from experience of working for Local Authorities.
They’re not alone and if the other local politicians are inept then we may get nothing out of this.
I thought lots of people have been canvassing local opinion and speaking to their councillors and coming back with positivity…….that hasn’t done well.
We need @DaveT and his positive bus but alas he jumped ship some time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom