General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given that hone shirt as a leaving present from my old job. Only worn it twice - just embarrassing!

Absolute state of it. And the shirt.

ce579b6ce60028c6d4229f45edeedc08.jpg

Thinking about a groundshare, how would people feel if a big rugby club played at the new ground, but we benefitted from it and recieved the rent money? Could be some much needed long term regular income, and it wouldn’t be like when London Welsh played at the Kassam and all the money went to Firoz as we’d be the ones benefitting and could ensure the pitch receives the correct care it needs to host two sports.

Personally I wouldn't mind sharing the stadium with a rugby side as long as it was a local team rather than some franchise. Chinnor are the best of the local sides but are a well run and respected club so unlikely to want to play away from their home. However, with 4 years until the stadium is ready, I wonder whether we could support a club like Oxford Harlequins to push them on to Championship level by the time we open, with ambitions for the Premiership. Locally a lot of people travel for games at Northampton, Coventry and even to Leicester or Harlequins/Saracens so there will certainly be interest.

Alongside ice hockey and basketball there's no reasons why we couldn't look to rejuvenate local sport and aim for national standards in multiple sports.

Personally I wouldn't mind sharing the stadium with a rugby side as long as it was a local team rather than some franchise. Chinnor are the best of the local sides but are a well run and respected club so unlikely to want to play away from their home. However, with 4 years until the stadium is ready, I wonder whether we could support a club like Oxford Harlequins to push them on to Championship level by the time we open, with ambitions for the Premiership. Locally a lot of people travel for games at Northampton, Coventry and even to Leicester or Harlequins/Saracens so there will certainly be interest.

Alongside ice hockey and basketball there's no reasons why we couldn't look to rejuvenate local sport and aim for national standards in multiple sports.

On the same pitch though?
giphy.gif

The mess the cockney taffs made of the playing surface Id rather oufc had no involvement whatsoever with egg chasers getting anywhere near the football pitch thanks all the same

The mess the cockney taffs made of the playing surface Id rather oufc had no involvement whatsoever with egg chasers getting anywhere near the football pitch thanks all the same

We will have one of those roll out pitches that can be replaced by rugby / American football.

Big NO, will ruin the playing surface

Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate for rugby at the stadium. But if it was, it wouldn't be impossible to create a playing surface that would happily support both sports. We're not talking about a time when everything was being done on the cheap with London Welsh.

As a big fan of basketball I’d love it if we could get a team playing at the (potential) new arena, the British Basketball league has just had a big injection of cash from new owners who want to get some new teams in the league over the next few years so you never know but I don’t think there would be much of a market for it in Oxford unfortunately

As a big fan of basketball I’d love it if we could get a team playing at the (potential) new arena, the British Basketball league has just had a big injection of cash from new owners who want to get some new teams in the league over the next few years so you never know but I don’t think there would be much of a market for it in Oxford unfortunately

So like Madison Square Gardens , but newer ?
I like the idea of a multi purpose arena for professional/ senior ice sports , basketball , music.

But where would this leave the casual ice skaters and ice sports if the oxpens goes ,
And the new ice arena is used for other events most evenings? Switching from ice rink to concert arena won’t be a half hour job.

Out of interest what are the various music venue capacities around town ? I guess o2 is largest but it’s not great. And the theatres might be ? Apollo / New Theatre if that’s what they are called - again not designed for floor and seating.

Thinking about a groundshare, how would people feel if a big rugby club played at the new ground, but we benefitted from it and recieved the rent money? Could be some much needed long term regular income, and it wouldn’t be like when London Welsh played at the Kassam and all the money went to Firoz as we’d be the ones benefitting and could ensure the pitch receives the correct care it needs to host two sports.
If the club directly benefited then I would at least consider the idea

Big NO, will ruin the playing surface

Have to agree here. London Welsh destroyed the pitch and although we have fantastic ground staff who have had the pitch looking brilliant the last 3 or 4 seasons especially, I don't think the mens team, womens team and a rugby outfit playing egg ball on it would help it to hold up to the way we play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom