General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this will give everyone a bit of a reality check. We know what we are up against now, months/years away from anything significant. At least it will stop another hundred pages of everyone discussing the colour of the seats and the best places to have a pint. I just hope that the likes of Bakrie and Erik are patient men.

OCC said they were going to consult with the Kidlington public but what about the board so they can discuss their track record, funding and plan in greater detail? Sounded like they'll listen to the Nimbys but not the board.

I think Bakrie needs to get on the next flight over and start lobbying.

The disappointment for me was the apparent lack of understanding on what they were looking at today. It was a start of conversation that was being voted on, not whether their voters want it.

There was also a feeling that they wouldn’t move at anyone else’s pace just because OuFC have a timescale. It almost seemed to miff them.

That whole vote was supposed (as per the agenda) to be to agree a proposal to enter into discussions with OUFC about the lease on the land. Instead, we got something completely different.

The Cabinet is RECOMMENDED to enter into negotiations as requested by Oxford United Football Club (OUFC) and with Oxfordshire County Council’s current tenants to enable the use of Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) owned land for the development of a new football stadium, subject to planning permission.

I think this will give everyone a bit of a reality check. We know what we are up against now, months/years away from anything significant. At least it will stop another hundred pages of everyone discussing the colour of the seats and the best places to have a pint. I just hope that the likes of Bakrie and Erik are patient men.
Don't forget the microbrewery

The disappointment for me was the apparent lack of understanding on what they were looking at today. It was a start of conversation that was being voted on, not whether their voters want it.

There was also a feeling that they wouldn’t move at anyone else’s pace just because OuFC have a timescale. It almost seemed to miff them.
This is it for me. A clear lack of research and understanding from everyone there into what the proposal was entirely, and all they actually discussed was complete hypotheticals that goes way beyond what the meeting was actually for.

Why some random person, John Hill, who still nobody seems to know who he is, was allowed to spout untruths and negativity when no representative from OUFC was involved in the discussion is beyond me. If McWilliams was there he'd have shot down half that guys statement with three words. Erick f*****g Thohir.

I think many of us hoped that things were more progressed than it seems they are. I fully expected this to be passed today, after all it is simply the first of many thresholds to cross.

Oxfordshire's local government has never, in the entirety of its history, done well by OUFC and I was foolish to think that they would now.

It's not dead, of course and as Fanatica points out, there'll be plenty more frustration to come, however, I had hoped that the councillors would show support at a stage that commits them to nothing. It's given oodles of encouragement to every naysayer and anti and left us with a sense of 'we've seen it all before'.

When will I ever learn?

Last edited by a moderator:
That whole vote was supposed (as per the agenda) to be to agree a proposal to enter into discussions with OUFC about the lease on the land. Instead, we got something completely different.

The Cabinet is RECOMMENDED to enter into negotiations as requested by Oxford United Football Club (OUFC) and with Oxfordshire County Council’s current tenants to enable the use of Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) owned land for the development of a new football stadium, subject to planning permission.
I didn’t watch it but wasn’t there a chairperson to ensure that the debate adhered to the actual agenda?! Reading the comments it seems it was allowed to get too emotional with personal agendas dictating.

@OUSP Secretary can you confirm, that the club will have staff members/volunteers with ipad's at Saturday's 10,000 plus crowd, canvassing for signatures on the petition?

It would be absolute folly behavior to overlook Saturday's potential to get support for the new complex.

I`m sure the committee will look into it next month.

They are little different to a parish council and we`ve seen what councils do - meet, defer, meet, defer and spout bo**ocks.

This is it for me. A clear lack of research and understanding from everyone there into what the proposal was entirely, and all they actually discussed was complete hypotheticals that goes way beyond what the meeting was actually for.

Why some random person, John Hill, who still nobody seems to know who he is, was allowed to spout untruths and negativity when no representative from OUFC was involved in the discussion is beyond me. If McWilliams was there he'd have shot down half that guys statement with three words. Erick f*****g Thohir.
I hope not but maybe the club has been a tad guilty of complacency over today’s meeting?

Exactly. The have deferred on entering into discussions with the people and stakeholders involved... until they have discussed it with people and stakeholders involved.

Local councils at their finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom