General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone that can summarise this article? I can't see it as I refuse to pay a subscription to the oxford fail.
Install a plug in to disable javascript in your browser and it'll let you read it. It's so stupid sites try and monetise like this. The article really wasn't worth the effort though - see below:

NEWS of Oxford United’s stadium plans understandably generated great excitement.

The feeling was mutual: it was a real privilege to finally reveal tangible progress on the biggest issue facing the club.

Talk of naming the new stadium and working out where to drink before matches is sadly premature, but seeing initial plans in black and white is a step forward.
Read also: Oxford United set to address key issues of Stratfield Brake plan
We have heard plenty of talk about off-pitch progress in recent times, but ultimately words mean little if they are just that.
Head coach Karl Robinson often speaks about where he sees the club going, while Anindya Bakrie would have known this week's announcement was coming when he commented on the stadium search late last year.
We are told the change of ownership that will see Bakrie and other board members take formal control of the club is still on track.
The Oxford Mail has contacted the English Football League countless times to ask for an official update, with no response.

Read also: Karl Robinson out to improve after 'letting players down' at Lincoln
Now United's plans for Stratfield Brake have been unveiled, hopefully the ownership is the next off-pitch issue to move forward.
The team is flying high in Sky Bet League One and the stadium dream could move a step closer if Oxfordshire County Council’s cabinet approves the proposal on Tuesday.
If the ownership changes get the green light as well, it adds another layer to an exciting era for United.

Install a plug in to disable javascript in your browser and it'll let you read it. It's so stupid sites try and monetise like this. The article really wasn't worth the effort though - see below:

Thanks. Will try that in future.

Bit of a pointless article from the ox fail. Can't see the takeover is still with the efl myself it's probably more the fact that a change of ownership announced in the transfer window along with the stadium news will make other clubs demand more from us for their players service. Also Tiger will still be involved with Bakrie and Thohir and be a share holder so its still unclear if there will be a change in chairman at all. Its more of a change of shares than a takeover in my eyes.

Personally, I think moving the ice rink to Stratfield Brake is inspired. One sporting site with hotel, conference, concert etc locations over a purpose built site with excellent transport links and all designed for multiple use makes this a mouth watering location for promoters, sporting organisers etc. The then vacant lots at Oxpens, Grenoble road and potential land at Exeter Hall, Kidlington, would be very attractive for housing.
There are, without doubt, some very clever people behind all of this.
Where is this spare land at Exeter hall is it the adjacent football pitch/playing field? The Exeter hall site itself has no spare space unless someone is suggesting the hall and doctors surgery itself is demolished. That would be an interesting proposal. The design has also resulted in expensive costs in repairs to the roof.
Edit I suppose in recent years the hall is not very well used and the council offices don't use that much space. Its' been an ambition I think to amalgamate all the doctors surgeries but god knows where they would put them.

Last edited:
Continuing with the Minnesota United Stratfield Brake potential similarities, here's a walking tour of the stadium whilst a game is on:

(Ingore the cringey atmosphere only Americans could create!)
"Who's the w****r with the drum?" Could never be more appropriate

Where is this spare land at Exeter hall is it the adjacent football pitch/playing field? The Exeter hall site itself has no spare space unless someone is suggesting the hall and doctors surgery itself is demolished. That would be an interesting proposal
T
Where is this spare land at Exeter hall is it the adjacent football pitch/playing field? The Exeter hall site itself has no spare space unless someone is suggesting the hall and doctors surgery itself is demolished. That would be an interesting proposal
Apart from the surgery and the council offices
& Hall
There's some sort of community hub building.other than that it's afootball pitch & a carpark.
Dunno I know they built on thecoop carpark across the rd

T

Apart from the surgery and the council offices
& Hall
There's some sort of community hub building.other than that it's afootball pitch & a carpark.
Dunno I know they built on thecoop carpark across the rd
And a little kids park

I think we've known all along if the stadium and other development opportunities don't get the green light Bakrie and Co aren't interested.

I don't want drinking during football either to be honest, have a few before, watch the game, have a few afterwards.
To be honest when I watch Perth Glory it’s quite nice to wander up from the seat to the bar, get a beer and go back to my seat all without losing sight of the game for more than 10 seconds.

To be honest when I watch Perth Glory it’s quite nice to wander up from the seat to the bar, get a beer and go back to my seat all without losing sight of the game for more than 10 seconds.
As long as there isn't a constant flow of people going to the bar and back, and going to the toilets and back disrupting views.

On the theme of transport.
In the last year or so , I have received a couple of letters on the closure of yarñton road Kidlington through to yarñton. Building a bridge over level crossing.
When I looked up the plans there was a new road planned across the fields .the entrance came out further up the road towards the new northern gateway.

As long as there isn't a constant flow of people going to the bar and back, and going to the toilets and back disrupting views.
You’ve just described pretty much any US sporting event I’ve ever been to. Watching the actual game doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal to a fair few.

Guess everyone is different but personally I like the fact that while a game of football is taking place in this country, you sit and watch it. I like that it still feels a bit tense and demands 100% of your attention. And that some idiot who doesn’t understand personal space at the best of times can’t slosh their pint over you.

If I was going to change anything about football it would be the shorts. They’re far too long now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom