General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are acting as if the green thingy will definitely happen, it’s just a proposal, same as our stadium at the moment, except our offer is backed by billionaires and thousands of local, right minded people and there’s is backed by a parish council and a few nimbys on Twitter who don’t want anything, ever built within a hundred miles of them.

My last word on the green ring proposal: KPC promised to be opened minded and objective towards OUFC's plans. That's clearly not the case if they're making alternative proposals. Not sure they should be involved in the decision to surrender leases personally, they seem to have an agenda.

Will see what plays out.

My last word on the green ring proposal: KPC promised to be opened minded and objective towards OUFC's plans. That's clearly not the case if they're making alternative proposals. Not sure they should be involved in the decision to surrender leases personally, they seem to have an agenda.

Will see what plays out.
What they shouldn't be involved in a decision to surrender their own lease or not? I don't think you've grasped who really holds the trump cards in this game yet with regard to the the leases, how KPC and GWEPC can continue to spend so much if their budgets on facility mainly used by non Kidlington residents is another thing. And KPC have said on a number of occasions they will want to see how the proposals fit into their vision of a green ring around Kidlington.

What they shouldn't be involved in a decision to surrender their own lease or not? I don't think you've grasped who really holds the trump cards in this game yet with regard to the the leases, how KPC and GWEPC can continue to spend so much if their budgets on facility mainly used by non Kidlington residents is another thing. And KPC have said on a number of occasions they will want to see how the proposals fit into their vision of a green ring around Kidlington.

I know they hold all the aces. They promised to be open minded and objective in their decision making but I don't believe they are being, that's my point.

KPC Chair's Report June 2022
Kidlington Parish Council
Chair’s report: June 2022
In the last couple of weeks two circulars were dropped through residents’ doors both of which call
for some commentary.
One was Cherwell District Council’s update on their review of the parish boundaries between
Kidlington (KPC) and Gosford & Water Eaton (GWE). Readers may remember that this was not
initiated by KPC. Cherwell consulted us in the course of a district-wide governance review, and in
response we proposed that KPC and GWE should merge because the division between the two is
anomalous and because of the benefits of strength in numbers. Cherwell in turn conducted a
consultation with residents.
The results, as detailed in the leaflet, were that 334 residents were in favour of the merger and 249
against. 301 were also in favour of our fall-back proposal that the Gosford triangle should become
part of Kidlington, and 227 against. Despite this clear majority in favour of our two proposals,
Cherwell decided against them on the basis that the turnout was low (the population of the two
parishes is about 15,000) and that GWE Parish Council opposed them. Unfortunately the responses
were not broken down between residents of the two parishes: it would be relevant to know if a
majority in GWE were in favour.
The situation will be reviewed when the massive new housing developments due in GWE have taken
place. This is an outcome KPC can certainly live with, given that we are faced with the much more
urgent and demanding issue of Stratfield Brake—on which we are working amicably with GWE, and
hope to come to a common position.
The second leaflet is of course the circular from Oxford United (OUFC) on their Stratfield Brake
proposals. This was sent out immediately after the first of the planned meetings to discuss the
proposals between the Club and the council stakeholders—the County Council, Cherwell, GWE and
KPC. The leaflet is not in any way the outcome of these discussions, but simply reflects OUFC’s
starting position. The point of the discussions still to take place is to enable the Club to develop the
proposals into a form that is sufficiently firm and detailed to enable the councils to take a decision
on them.
Contrary to the original plan, these discussions are being chaired by the Club, or rather by a PR firm
employed by the Club. Reluctantly, I have come to think that this is probably for the best: it makes
clear that none of the council stakeholders is yet committed to a particular outcome.
KPC’s position remains as it has been throughout: we are not taking a decision until the firm and
detailed proposals are available, and we will consult residents first. We are still considering how best
to do this, since all possible means have their disadvantages, and we are currently in discussion with
expert consultants on the best choice.
Whatever means we eventually choose, we are anxious that residents should be as well informed as
possible on the issue. We hope that the publicity offensive by OUFC will be matched by similar
efforts from organizations such as Kidlington Development Watch (https://www.kidlingtondw.org/)
and the newly-formed Friends of Stratfield Brake. The issue is highly complicated, difficult and
contentious, and it is essential that the views on all sides should be heard.

KPC Chair's Report June 2022
Kidlington Parish Council
Chair’s report: June 2022
In the last couple of weeks two circulars were dropped through residents’ doors both of which call
for some commentary.
One was Cherwell District Council’s update on their review of the parish boundaries between
Kidlington (KPC) and Gosford & Water Eaton (GWE). Readers may remember that this was not
initiated by KPC. Cherwell consulted us in the course of a district-wide governance review, and in
response we proposed that KPC and GWE should merge because the division between the two is
anomalous and because of the benefits of strength in numbers. Cherwell in turn conducted a
consultation with residents.
The results, as detailed in the leaflet, were that 334 residents were in favour of the merger and 249
against. 301 were also in favour of our fall-back proposal that the Gosford triangle should become
part of Kidlington, and 227 against. Despite this clear majority in favour of our two proposals,
Cherwell decided against them on the basis that the turnout was low (the population of the two
parishes is about 15,000) and that GWE Parish Council opposed them. Unfortunately the responses
were not broken down between residents of the two parishes: it would be relevant to know if a
majority in GWE were in favour.
The situation will be reviewed when the massive new housing developments due in GWE have taken
place. This is an outcome KPC can certainly live with, given that we are faced with the much more
urgent and demanding issue of Stratfield Brake—on which we are working amicably with GWE, and
hope to come to a common position.
The second leaflet is of course the circular from Oxford United (OUFC) on their Stratfield Brake
proposals. This was sent out immediately after the first of the planned meetings to discuss the
proposals between the Club and the council stakeholders—the County Council, Cherwell, GWE and
KPC. The leaflet is not in any way the outcome of these discussions, but simply reflects OUFC’s
starting position. The point of the discussions still to take place is to enable the Club to develop the
proposals into a form that is sufficiently firm and detailed to enable the councils to take a decision
on them.
Contrary to the original plan, these discussions are being chaired by the Club, or rather by a PR firm
employed by the Club. Reluctantly, I have come to think that this is probably for the best: it makes
clear that none of the council stakeholders is yet committed to a particular outcome.
KPC’s position remains as it has been throughout: we are not taking a decision until the firm and
detailed proposals are available, and we will consult residents first. We are still considering how best
to do this, since all possible means have their disadvantages, and we are currently in discussion with
expert consultants on the best choice.
Whatever means we eventually choose, we are anxious that residents should be as well informed as
possible on the issue. We hope that the publicity offensive by OUFC will be matched by similar
efforts from organizations such as Kidlington Development Watch (https://www.kidlingtondw.org/)
and the newly-formed Friends of Stratfield Brake. The issue is highly complicated, difficult and
contentious, and it is essential that the views on all sides should be heard.

This quote is key from the KPC chair:

"We hope that the publicity offensive by OUFC will be matched by similar
and the newly-formed Friends of Stratfield Brake".

That could be read as the KPC chair prompting opposition groups to take action.

Of course, the chair could just be asking the opposition groups to increase their activity out of fairness so the public have balanced information as they want the public to make the decision. As its almost going to be a local referendum because of that then it's only right both sides should promote their case and it's obviously going to be easier for the side with the biggest budget.

Their tone off all of their communications to date feels very anti-OUFC to me, can they be trusted to make a balanced decision?

It’s literally true though, most of the time nothing does happen there.
Be fair when I walked across there yesterday there was a professional dog walker with four dogs, no poop bags visible though as with most of the dog walkers in kidlington. So a busy day for SB.

They're taking fans tweets out of context now.

They are collating emails about how you currently use SB so I'll email that in the past 12 months we've used it twice when my son played cricket and football there and we live less than 10 miles away. Going forward, he'll continue to play there at the same frequency but hopefully on improved pitches OUFC have committed to provide to the local gass roots sports clubs of Kidlington.

It will be used by thousands more if a stadium is built there of course which is a better use of public land rather than used as a sentimental and whimsical 'green barrier' between Kidlington and one of the beautiful cities in Europe.

Screenshot_20220731-132158_Facebook.jpg

They're taking fans tweets out of context now.

They are collating emails about how you currently use SB so I'll email that in the past 12 months we've used it twice when my son played cricket and football there and we live less than 10 miles away. Going forward, he'll continue to play there at the same frequency but hopefully on improved pitches OUFC have committed to provide to the local gass roots sports clubs of Kidlington.

View attachment 9625

I don’t know why you keep posting what they post? They don’t seem to get any interest in their posts and posting it on here gives them unneeded publicity.

As they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

If you ignore it they are starved of the required oxygen.... (y)

I don’t know why you keep posting what they post? They don’t seem to get any interest in their posts and posting it on here gives them unneeded publicity.

Better the devil you know...

Keep your friends close etc...

Posting screenshots rather than links keeps engagement with their posts low. Plus it's safe to assume this is a pro-OUFC and Stratfield Brake forum isn't it? And it's a good central place to keep screenshots of the oppositions posts, especially the many prejudiced ones before they get deleted as we've seen in the past. Hopefully we'll look back in posterity in the future.

More snobbery from the opposition, we're "thugs" apparently:

Screenshot_20220731-144102_Facebook.jpg

I have never classified myself as a thug. Used to be a loud-mouth but that was more than 40 years ago. So Steve is not talking about me. 😁

I have never classified myself as a thug. Used to be a loud-mouth but that was more than 40 years ago. So Steve is not talking about me. 😁
The funny this is, the bloke commenting is from Tackley so not sure what he means by us, he's not part of Kidlington Parish council or Cherwell district council so won't get a say in the matter (Tackley is part of West Oxfordshire District council)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom