General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading have 18 football special buses, I went to a game recently with my brother-in-law, and we got the bus back afterwards from right outside the ground, all of the buses looked busy and had only 1 or 2 stops each so it was very quick getting back, any new stadium for us needs to have similar, between that and a train station parking really shouldn’t be an issue imo

Oxfordshires local public transport is terrible, no train station in Abingdon, Witney, Wallingford, Wheatley, out lying parts of Oxford etc, no local train service linking Oxford to the surrounding county. A cheap, basic service with no frills but that links the county up in a quick and reliable way would really change peoples lives.

I live in Blackwater in north east Hampshire, thanks to being near to a decent rail service I have made it into Oxford city centre to meet mates for a few pints in only ten minute’s longer than it has taken them to get the bus in from places like Wheatley which is ridiculous.
The bus service in from Wheatley is great, I can’t remember the last time we took the car into oxford city centre. We’ve already planned the journey to SB, piece of cake.

10 minute walk from my front door to my local train station, train straight from there to Oxford Parkway, job done. I’ll be swinging my trousers above my head before I’ve even got to the ground.

• React
Reactions: MJB
The bus service in from Wheatley is great, I can’t remember the last time we took the car into oxford city centre. We’ve already planned the journey to SB, piece of cake.

Do the Brookes Buses still go to Wheatley?

Or maybe drive part of the way? Park and ride style.
Well maybe. But driving to Bicester (which is I think the nearest station to me on the same line as Oxford), paying to park, then buying a train ticket, a train ride into Oxford, then a bus out to the stadium - then all in reverse is, while possible, a lengthy and expensive business. And I will have already driven the car about two thirds of the way anyway, so not that green really.

I am happy to park at some sort of Oxford park and ride and walk/take a dedicated bus to the stadium, but I think the novelty of the first trip I described would wear off after about one week!

Well maybe. But driving to Bicester (which is I think the nearest station to me on the same line as Oxford), paying to park, then buying a train ticket, a train ride into Oxford, then a bus out to the stadium - then all in reverse is, while possible, a lengthy and expensive business. And I will have already driven the car about two thirds of the way anyway, so not that green really.

I am happy to park at some sort of Oxford park and ride and walk/take a dedicated bus to the stadium, but I think the novelty of the first trip I described would wear off after about one week!
Or bus from Bicester to SB. Job done!

10 minute walk from my front door to my local train station, train straight from there to Oxford Parkway, job done. I’ll be swinging my trousers above my head before I’ve even got to the ground.
Steady Birdio
There are members on this forum who will be waiting from early doors to see this
I’m not one of them by the way
They will be thinking worth moving to SB for this alone

Park at Bicester’s Park and Ride, which is free, then a 10-15 minute bus ride to the ground.

Just don't forget that some exiles and away supporters really have very little choice other than driving - personally I'd have to take the train 60 miles into London and then out again - and that's after I have had to drive 10 miles to a station in the first place because the busses would just not get me there. Encouraging the use of buses and trains is of course the right thing to do, but there will always be those who can't use them.
Is Milton Keynes close to your driving route to Oxford, as that line to Kidlington is due to open in 2024?

I see in "The Times" that a property developer has just bought land at Frieze Way" (Stratfield Brake?) for £120m, for a science park development.
Will this have any effect on OU's development plans?

I see in "The Times" that a property developer has just bought land at Frieze Way" (Stratfield Brake?) for £120m, for a science park development.
Will this have any effect on OU's development plans?
Surely not the same area? Annoyingly I can’t read it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom