General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's not a bad shout, cheers for mentioning. Although I would go to the city centre for a couple of pints, but I don't live in Abingdon now anyway. But of course that's helpful for others who still do and might not have thought of that. I was just pointing out to the other poster that what he was complaining about (2 buses from east Oxford to SB) can be quite common for people travelling to the Kassam on public transport from various locations in Oxfordshire
I'm not complaining I'm just saying as it is.
I live in Kidlington 😭😂

I think we all need to get back to a mind set of embracing public transport on match days (something almost entirely out of the question for the Kassam)

This isn't the same as the rush-hour commute to work at 7am in the morning.

Your mind-set needs to be along the line of picking the correct solution for you that will enhance your match day experience. That may mean, getting the bus an hour or two early, walking or catching a short train ride.

The Kassam stadium has tricked your mind into thinking that the only solution is drive. Come back to your happy place!

Thank you so much for the feedback - it is highly appreciated!

I knew that Maxwell wasn't chairman at the time of his death cos of the Derby link, but he still owned the team right? And I realise that plans for the stadium in Blackbird Leys were in the works long before Kassam took over, but he did push them through in the end! I should definitely have clarified that

Your point about OCC is interesting! As you say, they seem to be making the right noises, which is great. The new facilities for Kidlington ABs and Gosford CC are definitely a necessity though. They both seem to be pretty optimistic

In a way, yes. It was still owned by a Maxwell company, I believe. Whether it was in Cap'n Bob's name or Kevin's on the letterhead is for the historians with a lot of time on their hands to go through pages of 30 year old dry paperwork to uncover. By the by, in 1991 Kevin Maxwell was chairman so Robert Maxwell would not have been far away from affairs. There may be someone here who can confirm exactly who the owner was. One of Maxwell's empty shell companies would be my guess. He'd completely overspent on acquisitions by the start of the 1990s hence the empire was teetering well ahead of his death.

The optimism is certainly there although quite rightfully the tone at the initial OCC cabinet meeting on the 18th January was fairly cautious, putting residents of Kidlington's concerns at the forefront. There's plenty of schmoozing, persuading and showcasing to do yet before we get anywhere but the business case and projected use of the site is more than just a stadium and that's what the main appeal.

Indeed - I do hope the club or Oxvox are contacting reporters to provide them with the information that they should have regarding our wealthy owners and their proven track record in the area of stadium development on an international scale.
It's not difficult to do a bit of research before publishing the ravings of some anti-everything muppet. Just plain laziness to print this kind of crap.

It's not difficult to do a bit of research before publishing the ravings of some anti-everything muppet. Just plain laziness to print this kind of crap.

The councillor who refuted those comments are included, so it’s balanced out somewhat.

The headline is misleading and unhelpful as you say, but to be honest I’d see this as an opportunity for OUFC.

The club have an opportunity to clearly and articulately state why the claims are nonsense and provide concrete (excuse the pun) evidence for why our shareholders have the experience, expertise and money to fund, plan and execute exactly this kind of opportunity.

Backrie is a good speaker and could really get this across well, either by video, in the media or indeed in person.

EFL ratification of the new majority ownership would make this all even stronger too of course.

The councillor who refuted those comments are included, so it’s balanced out somewhat.

The headline is misleading and unhelpful as you say, but to be honest I’d see this as an opportunity for OUFC.

The club have an opportunity to clearly and articulately state why the claims are nonsense and provide concrete (excuse the pun) evidence for why our shareholders have the experience, expertise and money to fund, plan and execute exactly this kind of opportunity.

Backrie is a good speaker and could really get this across well, either by video, in the media or indeed in person.

EFL ratification of the new majority ownership would make this all even stronger too of course.
Balanced or not, it just doesn't excuse this kind of lazy, inept journalism. If the writer wants a balanced version then he/she needs to go out and speak to people, gather information. This is just regurgitating the transcript of the cabinet meeting.

I agree that this could be seen as an opportunity but, to get involved in a debate over semantics would not help our cause. The club would be better served highlighting the positives of this project and, there are many.

Further insight in what we are up against in terms of public opinion.

A post here from a Kidlington parish Councillor, canvassing opinions on SB and how the community want to be engaged.

Whilst there is a huge 'it IS Facebook' caveat, it does give some ideas into the concerns of local residents.

I think Kidlington based fans here are key. The Nimby voices will be loud but if it can be met with steady support from other locals, with genuine solutions to the problems residents raise, then that would help.

Which Facebook site is this on please?

This is just regurgitating the transcript of the cabinet meeting.

I agree that this could be seen as an opportunity but, to get involved in a debate over semantics would not help our cause. The club would be better served highlighting the positives of this project and, there are many.

TBF that was probably his brief, 'give me 200 words on the stadium plans'....

I agree the club has an excellent, positive story on how the new stadium complex will benefit the city and the county and hope they are providing the Mail with descriptions of the capabilities of the owners and the benefits. It's no help complaining about the press in this instance, win them over.

I’d use one of those short term hire bikes to get to the stadium, they should give a discount for pick up/drop off at the complex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom