New oxvox committee

I was amazed that @Jem commuted from Teeside to attend home games, run Oxvox & MD of a food manufacturer. Fan of the year 17/18?

Nobody made him do it its a voluntary role (many folk volunteer for stuff) , being MD he probably had staff & plenty of folk commute to games. "Fan of the year? Jog on.

Nobody made him do it its a voluntary role (many folk volunteer for stuff) , being MD he probably had staff & plenty of folk commute to games. "Fan of the year? Jog on.

Isn't that kind of the point? Nobody made him, he just decided it was in the best interests of the club he loves. Also i'm not sure many make the trip from the north east quite so regularly but clearly he deserves no credit whatsoever other than a charming 'jog on' from you.

Last edited:
Yeh, rock on brother. I'm with you. 'Fan of the year'? What about me? I volunteer for stuff, I run a business and I commute to games. OK, the volunteering is meals on wheels driving once a week, I'm a sole trader who doesn't really trade anymore, and I only see a handful of games each season, but all the same I reckon I out-perform that Faulkner bloke. (Oh, and I'm not on the OxVox committee, but still ....)

Vote Pete !

My comment was aimed at the "fan of the year" nomination which is why I quoted it. He done a great job & has moved on. However nobody is any better as a supporter than anybody else.

My comment was aimed at the "fan of the year" nomination which is why I quoted it. He done a great job & has moved on. However nobody is any better as a supporter than anybody else.

You think so? I presume you don’t like the idea of awards in general then? We’re all just football players; all just actors; all just writers and so on. Nobody is better than anyone else.

I have no problem with admitting someone like this fella (or Jem, as he is the mentioned party here) is better than I am and acknowledging their efforts.

You think so? I presume you don’t like the idea of awards in general then? We’re all just football players; all just actors; all just writers and so on. Nobody is better than anyone else.

I have no problem with admitting someone like this fella (or Jem, as he is the mentioned party here) is better than I am and acknowledging their efforts.

And that is your personal choice.
My opinion, and that is what forums are for, is that "we" are all just supporters of "our" club.
The level of support given is individually relative to what we can commit to do.
Ergo, if I won the Euro-millions, bought the ground and gifted it to the club would I expect adulation, acknowledgement or an award?
Nope.......the satisfaction of having done something would be mine alone.......others would benefit but it would be "mine".
Likewise the people highlighted have done some great work and have been thanked/appreciated by many......... is that not enough?

And that is your personal choice.
My opinion, and that is what forums are for, is that "we" are all just supporters of "our" club.
The level of support given is individually relative to what we can commit to do.
Ergo, if I won the Euro-millions, bought the ground and gifted it to the club would I expect adulation, acknowledgement or an award?
Nope.......the satisfaction of having done something would be mine alone.......others would benefit but it would be "mine".
Likewise the people highlighted have done some great work and have been thanked/appreciated by many......... is that not enough?

I think any conflict was born from your dismissive and quite rude "jog on" comment; it certainly didn't feel like one of gratitude towards a bloke who has done a lot for the club. Maybe if you had explained in more detail your thought process, I think others may have better understood your position. That said, I still feel you're missing the point a little - it's not Jem or anyone else saying 'me me me me, look at me!', it is other fans acknowledging their extra effort. To me, that's the difference. And I don't really want to project and pretend to know how he feels, but if I had to, I'm sure to Jem, the satisfaction he feels from knowing he has achieved what he has is enough, but what's so bad about other people saying an extra well done?

It may be a case of agree to disagree. Such is life.

Back
Top Bottom