New Kit 2019/20

cambridge, of course have 'other' employers but, Cambridge
University was/ dunno if it still is though ? , the biggest employer there.... Oxford Uni employs lots of Oxford people ( Inc our own YF leader, @Eaststandboy ) ... but is nowhere near the largest employer in Oxford/ Oxfordshire - NHS and/ or Various car related manufacturing are probably the largest employers in the Oxon area ?

Here you go: https://cbselfstorage.co.uk/list-150-biggest-employers-cambridge-2014-2015/

The info I can access find for Cambridge Uni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Cambridge

Kier Group PLC is the biggest employer according to those. The list doesn't include the NHS which has a big presence in Cambridge as well with Addenbrookes Hospital part of the Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust which has similar research tie-ups as the NHS Trusts in Oxford.

Here you go: https://cbselfstorage.co.uk/list-150-biggest-employers-cambridge-2014-2015/

The info I can access find for Cambridge Uni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Cambridge

Kier Group PLC is the biggest employer according to those. The list doesn't include the NHS which has a big presence in Cambridge as well with Addenbrookes Hospital part of the Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust which has similar research tie-ups as the NHS Trusts in Oxford.

I stand corrected :oops: cheers @Marked Ox

my post(s) were in response to @Briggsy earlier post .... this one ....
"
Wallop said:
Yep - hideous and why would there be any homage to the spires given the University has no links with us
(from @Briggsy in response to @Wallop )
Oxford would very likely be just another minor provincial town if it weren't for the university. It would be unknown outside England. The city owes its modern-day wealth to the university and it amazes me that some people in Oxford want to distance themselves from it. "

i was ( & probably badly ) pointing out that Cambridge folk are more aligned / tolerant/ linked to ' their' University, than 'we' are in Oxford and Oxon.... and that there always has been a town n gown divide in Oxford

The University has certainly increased the city's prominence around the world.

However, I think it has contributed to suppressing the growth of the city itself. It is a self-serving organisation that puts its own needs above all others and it has helped to create a culture around the city that is in line with that aim. It wants to promote itself in a way that means that most will see Oxford and the University as one and the same thing.

Cambridge has done a much better job of encouraging commerce, particularly hi-tech commerce and has done so with the support of the University. Many incredibly successful spinouts from the University have grown into sizeable employers. Oxford has not followed suit and is only interested in the perpetuation of the University's brand and tradition. Cambridge is much smaller than Oxford and doesn't have the same history in manufacturing, so it's all the more surprising that an even more dominant University has been more supportive.

Oxford may not have the international awareness without the Uni, but it could, in my opinion, be a rapidly growing technology and manufacturing hub if the University wasn't as all-powerful as they are.

The council's pandering sycophancy towards our learned neighbours helps not one bit.

Didn't Tim Davies - the clubs financial director - or one of the other five minute forum speakers say that the new kit had been ordered and they were hoping to have it on sale at the last home game of the season? Since that's tomorrow, I guess it didn't get here in time...
I might have misheard though?

Probably didn't pay the supplier on time. Puma don't appear to offer the rumoured template in yellow and dark blue. I can't imagine a bespoke one being done for us.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190426-161813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190426-161813_Gallery.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 32
Cambridge has done a much better job of encouraging commerce, particularly hi-tech commerce and has done so with the support of the University. Many incredibly successful spinouts from the University have grown into sizeable employers. Oxford has not followed suit and is only interested in the perpetuation of the University's brand and tradition. Cambridge is much smaller than Oxford and doesn't have the same history in manufacturing, so it's all the more surprising that an even more dominant University has been more supportive.

So I think that's a little unfair on Oxford......

Oxford Instruments was a spinout from the university, all the way back in 1959, and has about 1,500 employees - don't know how many of those are still in Oxfordshire, but their headquarters are still in Tubney Woods.

Oxford Nanopore is a more recent spinout that has 350+ employees in Oxford and a valuation of several billion. NaturalMotion had a 100+ employees making video game technology until they got bought by Zynga a few years back.

I believe they've, on average, spun out a company every two months since Oxford University Innovation (formerly Isis Innovation) started in ~1997, and that's been accelerating sharply in recent years since they launched their 300m Oxford Sciences Innovation fund in 2015 (I think they did more than 20 in 2018).

Where Cambridge and Oxford differ is that Cambridge have typically had a more relaxed attitude to startup ownership - Oxford drives a pretty hard bargain with its academics. But I don't imagine that's something the average townie cares much about......

So I think that's a little unfair on Oxford......

Oxford Instruments was a spinout from the university, all the way back in 1959, and has about 1,500 employees - don't know how many of those are still in Oxfordshire, but their headquarters are still in Tubney Woods.

Oxford Nanopore is a more recent spinout that has 350+ employees in Oxford and a valuation of several billion. NaturalMotion had a 100+ employees making video game technology until they got bought by Zynga a few years back.

I believe they've, on average, spun out a company every two months since Oxford University Innovation (formerly Isis Innovation) started in ~1997, and that's been accelerating sharply in recent years since they launched their 300m Oxford Sciences Innovation fund in 2015 (I think they did more than 20 in 2018).

Where Cambridge and Oxford differ is that Cambridge have typically had a more relaxed attitude to startup ownership - Oxford drives a pretty hard bargain with its academics. But I don't imagine that's something the average townie cares much about......
Good points, Tony.

However, just travel around the outskirts of Cambridge and technology park after technology park are full of thriving businesses and highly paid jobs, something Townies should care about.

They don’t exist in anything like the same numbers in Oxford. Maybe that’s the culture of hard bargaining, or perhaps it’s a lack of desire to see the city of Oxford grow beyond its current ‘brand’.

I’m in no way anti-university, I’m merely arguing that the University has both put Oxford on the map and limited its growth to keep the University as all-powerful. I’m not accusing it of a grand-conspiracy, but the status-quo suits it more than the average Townie.

Didn't Tim Davies - the clubs financial director - or one of the other five minute forum speakers say that the new kit had been ordered and they were hoping to have it on sale at the last home game of the season? Since that's tomorrow, I guess it didn't get here in time...

I have two theories as to why the new kit launch has gone quiet.

1. Still too much stock of the old kit to sell through.

2. Club mistakenly thought we could wear new kit against Donny (like we did a couple of years ago for the last home game). However a club can only wear ONE alternative kit at home each season, and we used that one with the orange 125th Anniversary shirts.

Good points, Tony.

However, just travel around the outskirts of Cambridge and technology park after technology park are full of thriving businesses and highly paid jobs, something Townies should care about.

They don’t exist in anything like the same numbers in Oxford. Maybe that’s the culture of hard bargaining, or perhaps it’s a lack of desire to see the city of Oxford grow beyond its current ‘brand’.

I’m in no way anti-university, I’m merely arguing that the University has both put Oxford on the map and limited its growth to keep the University as all-powerful. I’m not accusing it of a grand-conspiracy, but the status-quo suits it more than the average Townie.

And I'm in no way pro-Oxford University. It's one of the most risk-averse organisations in the entire world!

I just think for the most part that 'Silicon Fen' grew up because Cambridge sat back and didn't get involved, and just left the startup culture to grow up organically (as it often does around academic institutions with lots of smart people and big ideas) rather than because they did a whole lot to actively support it.

And I also couldn't let a thread that had veered into my professional wheelhouse (for probably the first time ever on Yellows Forums or TiU) to go past without comment!

Given the fact that all of the EFL teams that have Puma shirts have roughly the same each year, it wouldn't be a massive leap to suggest that we will have some variation on the one Plymouth have just announced.

Oxford would very likely be just another minor provincial town if it weren't for the university. It would be unknown outside England. The city owes its modern-day wealth to the university and it amazes me that some people in Oxford want to distance themselves from it.
I don't want to distance myself from it personally, in fact my dad taught in an Oxford College for over 40 years which is why I grew up here and follow OUFC. BUT there are very few real links between the club and the University so why would OUFC include the spires on their shirts. How many Colleges do you think have any OUFC related material within their premises?

Oh and whatever the rights and wrongs of town and gown, the shirt design is horrid.

Perhaps we didn't pay for it in time due to the money being held up in an international transfer?

the Manor ground was in Headington, and there wasnt , at the time, any University in Headington.
Not strictly true. Large chunks of Oxford Uni were built from stone quarried in Headington (eg Christchurch College). So, there were bits of university in Headington :)

Back
Top Bottom