New Kit 2019/20

Henry Landers of North Leigh fame is advising Tiger and the board on the design new kit (are there no limits to Henners talents?), but only after he keeps NLFC up on Saturday, his last appearance, vs Evo Stick South Central Champions, Peterborough Sports, via netting a hat-rick of over the head bicycle kicks, before signing for OUFC.

The rumour circulating the Woodman Inn, North Leigh, is that, the Landers designed Kit and Henners will be flown to Thailand, for the media reveal, with the new PM, date TBC, which will be beamed back live to Sky Sports and Jim White to cover, no less. Harry Redknapp says that Henners is "well you know, a 'trrific talent and an absolutely fantastic lad, a cross between Nico Kranjaer and Crouchie! 'Trrific."

I love a new kit. I shouldn't get excited as I do at my age about a kit I'm never going to wear myself but I always really look forward to the unveiling of the new kit.

OxBible has speculated this morning on what the new kit will be and it is similar to a template Puma offer:

I actually quite like it, it would be different but that's not always a bad thing for a season or two, and at least it wont have Animalates plastered across the front of it (thank god).

As long as the blue shorts are back, I could deal with it, would need to see it in person though.

Yep - hideous and why would there be any homage to the spires given the University has no links with us
Oxford would very likely be just another minor provincial town if it weren't for the university. It would be unknown outside England. The city owes its modern-day wealth to the university and it amazes me that some people in Oxford want to distance themselves from it.

Oxford would very likely be just another minor provincial town if it weren't for the university. It would be unknown outside England. The city owes its modern-day wealth to the university and it amazes me that some people in Oxford want to distance themselves from it.
disagree - Cambridge maybe, ....Oxford definitely not .... lots of industry in and around Oxford (unlike the splitters), including the car, and related, factories, among other manufacturing outlets

.... and besides all that ^ ... Oxford United until the name change very early 60s were Headington United, the Manor ground was in Headington, and there wasnt , at the time, any University in Headington ( an early incarnation of the old poly, now afforded Uni status, as Brookes Uni- a relatively recentish 'upgrade').
So exactly what is it that Oxford United, formerly Headington United, 'owes' to the University?

disagree - Cambridge maybe, ....Oxford definitely not .... lots of industry in and around Oxford (unlike the splitters), including the car, and related, factories, among other manufacturing outlets

Hi Sarge. But those industries wouldn't be here without the university, don't you think?

And I don't think the club 'owes' the university anything. I just find it odd that a club and its fans in a city that is so well known for one particular thing seem to go to such great lengths to ignore that thing's existence. You look at traditional nicknames and the vast majority reflect what their home is famous for: Plymouth - Pilgrims, Luton - Hatters, Sheff U - Blades, Wycombe - Chairboys, Swindon - Scum, etc. And what's ours? U's, FFS. Meaningless.

It's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over, mind. :)

Hi Sarge. But those industries wouldn't be here without the university, don't you think?

And I don't think the club 'owes' the university anything. I just find it odd that a club and its fans in a city that is so well known for one particular thing seem to go to such great lengths to ignore that thing's existence. You look at traditional nicknames and the vast majority reflect what their home is famous for: Plymouth - Pilgrims, Luton - Hatters, Sheff U - Blades, Wycombe - Chairboys, Swindon - Scum, etc. And what's ours? U's, FFS. Meaningless.

It's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over, mind. :)

?

In all seriousness, I never got why we weren't the Oxes (Oxen? I guess that's why). Just such an uninspired and confusing nickname.

Town n Gown @Briggsy ..... the two have been in conflict since pretty much the Uni began.... Swindlestock tavern riots in kicked off in Feb 1355 , commemorated by a stone plaque set in the wall of what was Marigold House (currently Santander- on/ just off Carfax, where the site of the Swindlestock tavern was)

the City of Oxford (probably) have more of a link with Oxford City ( the oldest football club in Oxford I believe, certainly older by a few years than Headington United est 1893) HUFC/OUFC were also known locally by some in the Oxford area as the Boys from up the Hill - (the hill being Headington hill)

Hufc/ Oufc nickname, The U's ...is an abbreviation of United, I understand ? .... us Headington folk like to keep things simple y'know ;)

during the late 70s or was it early 80s there was an attempt to change OUFC nickname to The Dons, complete with a siloutte of a scholar in mortar board and gown as the proposed 'new' logo,to , apparently, reflect the University in Oxford. Needless to say it didnt happen.... damn good job too IMO

Town n Gown @Briggsy ..... the two have been in conflict since pretty much the Uni began.... Swindlestock tavern riots in kicked off in Feb 1355 , commemorated by a stone plaque set in the wall of what was Marigold House (currently Santander- on/ just off Carfax, where the site of the Swindlestock tavern was)

the City of Oxford (probably) have more of a link with Oxford City ( the oldest football club in Oxford I believe, certainly older by a few years than Headington United est 1893) HUFC/OUFC were also known locally by some in the Oxford area as the Boys from up the Hill - (the hill being Headington hill)

Hufc/ Oufc nickname, The U's ...is an abbreviation of United, I understand ? .... us Headington folk like to keep things simple y'know ;)

during the late 70s or was it early 80s there was an attempt to change OUFC nickname to The Dons, complete with a siloutte of a scholar in mortar board and gown as the proposed 'new' logo,to , apparently, reflect the University in Oxford. Needless to say it didnt happen.... damn good job too IMO
info re Swindlestock Tavern riots of 1355 .....
http://www.oxfordhistory.org.uk/streets/inscriptions/central/swindlestock_tavern.html

can imagine the kit we’d have then. all black with tassels

It's a shame that the university thinks it is bigger than the city though, weren't they trying to trademark the name 'Oxford' recently? Guess a lot of us (throughout history as @Sarge makes reference to) just don't like that kind of attitude.

It's a shame that the university thinks it is bigger than the city though, weren't they trying to trademark the name 'Oxford' recently? Guess a lot of us (throughout history as @Sarge makes reference to) just don't like that kind of attitude.
100% spot on @SteMerritt ;)

Cambridge has plenty of industry Sarge.

Cambridge has plenty of industry Sarge.

cambridge, of course have 'other' employers but, Cambridge
University was/ dunno if it still is though ? , the biggest employer there.... Oxford Uni employs lots of Oxford people ( Inc our own YF leader, @Eaststandboy ) ... but is nowhere near the largest employer in Oxford/ Oxfordshire - NHS and/ or Various car related manufacturing are probably the largest employers in the Oxon area ?

F*ck the Uni!

Back
Top Bottom