General New EFL rule - Clubs have to make a profit

The Premier League absorbing the Championship to create the PL2 could well be part of re-strengthening the PL brand in the event that the big boys head off for a European Super League. They’ve had PL2 in U23 for years and the women’s game also had a 1&2 combo in terms of the Super League branding until recently. They’ve been quietly kicking bits and pieces around in the background for a good while.

The insane gap in proposed wage caps between the Championship and L1 will also lead to people eventually going, “It is financially irresponsible to relegate teams with such an enormous differential between the levels - we’re going to have to find another way.” At this stage I expect the Championship to merge with the PL, and the EFL to contain what is now L1 and L2, but possibly create a new third division. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the top EFL division stays in a national capacity as is, but if the other two are combined and regionalised, with B teams from the PL and PL2 clubs added.

It might sound positively outrageous, but I really think we are about to live in a new world. I’m very fearful of the changes that could be forced on our game in the next 2-3 years.

The Premier League absorbing the Championship to create the PL2 could well be part of re-strengthening the PL brand in the event that the big boys head off for a European Super League. They’ve had PL2 in U23 for years and the women’s game also had a 1&2 combo in terms of the Super League branding until recently. They’ve been quietly kicking bits and pieces around in the background for a good while.

The insane gap in proposed wage caps between the Championship and L1 will also lead to people eventually going, “It is financially irresponsible to relegate teams with such an enormous differential between the levels - we’re going to have to find another way.” At this stage I expect the Championship to merge with the PL, and the EFL to contain what is now L1 and L2, but possibly create a new third division. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the top EFL division stays in a national capacity as is, but if the other two are combined and regionalised, with B teams from the PL and PL2 clubs added.

It might sound positively outrageous, but I really think we are about to live in a new world. I’m very fearful of the changes that could be forced on our game in the next 2-3 years.
Christ, I was depressed reading RG's post, then you come along with that... You're fun on a Saturday Night... ?

Can't fault any of that either.

I think you could be right, perhaps only 1 up and 1 down? Or none? I genuinely think Tiger has this long-term dream of Oxford being a big club in the PL. He would not have bought Oxford in this future scenario.

I think you could be right, perhaps only 1 up and 1 down? Or none? I genuinely think Tiger has this long-term dream of Oxford being a big club in the PL. He would not have bought Oxford in this future scenario.
I think a lot of people who own clubs presently are in for a shock. It’s why I was particularly gutted with what happened at Wembley. You want to get onto the right side of the drawbridge as quickly as possible with everything that’s going on in the world. One of a dozen different things could happen, but I think in every single scenario you want to be in the top two divisions ASAP.

I can definitely see them making a case for it being irresponsible to relegate multiple teams every season, though. That’s exactly the sort of faux moral crusade that disaster capitalism thrives on.

I think a lot of people who own clubs presently are in for a shock. It’s why I was particularly gutted with what happened at Wembley. You want to get onto the right side of the drawbridge as quickly as possible with everything that’s going on in the world. One of a dozen different things could happen, but I think in every single scenario you want to be in the top two divisions ASAP.

I can definitely see them making a case for it being irresponsible to relegate multiple teams every season, though. That’s exactly the sort of faux moral crusade that disaster capitalism thrives on.
Sunderland and Portsmouth should be worried because if they had been managed properly should never have been in this division. Arguably in our present form we are in the correct division.

Do the top teams dominate more now in terms of points gained?

Yes. The four highest points totals were posted in the past three years.

I don't think for example Liverpool would join a super league if most fans that went to matches were against it?

That is a big question, and I dont think we will know the answer until it is put to the test.

I dont expect Liverpool would struggle to sell out Anfield.

Reading that depresses me. And I can't find fault in any of the logic.

Well, I don't want to ruin anyone's Saturday night so I'll follow a more optimistic line of thought...

Right now, we might well be caught in the middle of a transition that has already started. Smaller clubs still have the idea of being able to sit at the big table. That provides hope for some of us, but it also encourages owners to gamble with money that would look like small change if they got a couple of promotions. And when the gamble backfires, smaller clubs are vulnerable. Beyond points deductions and selling their best players, they might agree to longer term conditions that let bright academy prospects leave for peanuts, or they might agree to play training games against reserve teams from the bigger clubs.

Most of us aren't stupid. We don't support L1 teams because we think they play better football than Barcelona (2015-16 OUFC excluded), or because we expect to see them play in the Champions League at some point. A harsh dose of forced realism might make clubs take stock of where they really are, and cut their cloth accordingly.

Going back to the example I used, my local book store can't offer the same range or price of books as Amazon, so they don't try to. They focus on engaging with their customers and making the store a more pleasant experience than having a book wrapped in cardboard left on my doorstep. If L1 clubs can do similar, would we as fans be worse off?

Yes. The four highest points totals were posted in the past three years.

That is a big question, and I dont think we will know the answer until it is put to the test.

I dont expect Liverpool would struggle to sell out Anfield.
I have no facts but I think most fans value domestic league titles above champions league. Initially.
I'm never surprised Chelsea or man City win titles due to there backers but do Liverpool have unlimited money?

Well, I don't want to ruin anyone's Saturday night so I'll follow a more optimistic line of thought...

Right now, we might well be caught in the middle of a transition that has already started. Smaller clubs still have the idea of being able to sit at the big table. That provides hope for some of us, but it also encourages owners to gamble with money that would look like small change if they got a couple of promotions. And when the gamble backfires, smaller clubs are vulnerable. Beyond points deductions and selling their best players, they might agree to longer term conditions that let bright academy prospects leave for peanuts, or they might agree to play training games against reserve teams from the bigger clubs.

Most of us aren't stupid. We don't support L1 teams because we think they play better football than Barcelona (2015-16 OUFC excluded), or because we expect to see them play in the Champions League at some point. A harsh dose of forced realism might make clubs take stock of where they really are, and cut their cloth accordingly.

Going back to the example I used, my local book store can't offer the same range or price of books as Amazon, so they don't try to. They focus on engaging with their customers and making the store a more pleasant experience than having a book wrapped in cardboard left on my doorstep. If L1 clubs can do similar, would we as fans be worse off?
Somehow apart from Bury, clubs still survive but can all clubs survive without fans in stadiums? Will Tiger subsidize us this season throughout if no fans are aloud until a vaccine?

Hey Ryan,

Yes I said the same a few weeks/months ago. Will try and pull the thread.

I suppose you could say the PL clubs are helping us little clubs by still competing with us in the 2 cups?

Which is more than the supermarkets do.

I have no facts but I think most fans value domestic league titles above champions league. Initially.
I'm never surprised Chelsea or man City win titles due to there backers but do Liverpool have unlimited money?

Liverpool have outspent Chelsea over the last few years, fair enough they sold Coutinho but they splashed that cash and much, much more to get the success they have had.

Just to compare Leicester and Liverpool, two very well-run clubs that have enjoyed recent success but operate in different circles.

Accepting that the data is two years old, meaning Liverpool have a Champions League and Premier League win to compound the advantages shown at: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Leicester had turnover of £159m, and a wage bill of £119m.
Liverpool had turnover of £455m, and a wage bill of £264m.

That £296m difference in turnover would allow Liverpool to match every pound Leicester spend, and then break the British transfer record three times over (I believe c.£89m for Pogba), and have a tidy sum left over, every single year. Granted, I'm not trying to guess how much a transfer really costs (agent fees, signing on fees, wages), but to illustrate the point.

The £145m difference in wage bills translates to more than £2,750,000 extra spent on wages every single week.

The truth is that the difference isn't just on wages and transfer fees, but it also goes to coaches for every little detail (remember when Liverpool appointed a throw-in coach?), cutting edge preparation and recovery, and a million other small advantages. The evidence for how powerful that can be is on the pitch and in the league table.

I know Tiger said he was not in favour of the salary cap proposed, but if you spend wisely in other areas it could be easier to get promoted?

Just to compare Leicester and Liverpool, two very well-run clubs that have enjoyed recent success but operate in different circles.

Accepting that the data is two years old, meaning Liverpool have a Champions League and Premier League win to compound the advantages shown at: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Leicester had turnover of £159m, and a wage bill of £119m.
Liverpool had turnover of £455m, and a wage bill of £264m.

That £296m difference in turnover would allow Liverpool to match every pound Leicester spend, and then break the British transfer record three times over (I believe c.£89m for Pogba), and have a tidy sum left over, every single year. Granted, I'm not trying to guess how much a transfer really costs (agent fees, signing on fees, wages), but to illustrate the point.

The £145m difference in wage bills translates to more than £2,750,000 extra spent on wages every single week.

The truth is that the difference isn't just on wages and transfer fees, but it also goes to coaches for every little detail (remember when Liverpool appointed a throw-in coach?), cutting edge preparation and recovery, and a million other small advantages. The evidence for how powerful that can be is on the pitch and in the league table.
So all PL league clubs are bought as trainsets? Including Bournemouth and Burnley?

Back
Top Bottom