New Beginnings

arthurturner

I am sensing from the present strange void around the club that we are on the verge of a new era in the fortunes of OUFC. The fact that this has been going on for so long and that those who would normally be ITK haven’t heard a thing suggests to me that this is bigger than just a change of ownership. Oxford is a globally recognised brand and I believe that is what has led a multi national organisation fronted by Tiger to want to acquire the club. If I’m right then this will almost certainly involve acquiring the stadium from Kassam and possibly the estate around the Stadium. Now this may just be wishful thinking on my part but how would you feel if at the start of next season we were owned by a multi billion pound group which owned a stadium which with money thrown at it could be transformed into a stadium to be proud of and had a top new manager with a playing budget guaranteed to getting us to the Championship and beyond?
After all, how many people around the world have heard of Oxford but don’t have a clue where Leicester is?

Last edited:
The land around the stadium was valued at 65 million the last I heard and that was five years ago.To get Mr K to part with that and sell the stadium which is earning him 400,000 a year for doing nothing is going to take an incredible piece of business which is not going to happen.

Wishful thinking

Things like tha just don’t happen to Oxford.. Not sure I’d even want it too.

I am sensing from the present strange void around the club that we are on the verge of a new era in the fortunes of OUFC. The fact that this has been going on for so long and that those who would normally be ITK haven’t heard a thing suggests to me that this is bigger than just a change of ownership. Oxford is a globally recognised brand and I believe that is what has led a multi national organisation fronted by Tiger to want to acquire the club. If I’m right then this will almost certainly involve acquiring the stadium from Kassam and possibly the estate around the Stadium. Now this may just be wishful thinking on my part but how would you feel if at the start of next season we were owned by a multi billion pound group which owned a stadium which with money thrown at it could be transformed into a stadium to be proud of and had a top new manager with a playing budget guaranteed to getting us to the Championship and beyond?
After all, how many people around the world have heard of Oxford but don’t have a clue where Leicester is?
I think you are living in a dream world.

Sadly we don’t have the core support base required.
The number of Premiershite fans I meet travelling all over the country and rarely supporting the team from the area they live in is astonishing.
I met three Manure fans in Northampton recently.
I ferkin hate the premier league.

To achieve that dream would potentially need £ hundreds of millions of investment. Accepting that Oxford is indeed a world-renowned place, can't help thinking that anyone with that much money to throw around would look to invest in a club that's either already Premier League, or in the upper echelons of the Championship with strong Premier League tradition and/or aspirations.

'Bournemouths' do indeed happen, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

And would we really want such a transformation? Could you imagine in, say, five seasons' time after massive investment and two quick promotions watching Oxford in a sell-out 40,000 stadium, populated mostly by people whose 'real' love is Man United and who barely know the players' names, or care about them?

Good post Pete, we need to be very careful what we wish for. How many of us would truly want to see Oxford in the Premier League?? I know it sounds daft but a lot of the joy I get from going to home games is the very fact that we are in the lower leagues where I truly believe that football is more genuine and less about the money where the players are more accessible and for the most part more down to earth. Do I want to see Oxford go through the leagues simply because we have more money to spend than other clubs around us? Premier League football is all about the brand and players on thousands per week driving around in flash cars. The Prem has moved on so much from the old Div 1 days in the mid 80's which i absolutely loved. That ship has definitely sailed. Personally I would be happy for us to be bouncing around League 1 for the next few years. Does that mean I lack ambition? Maybe so. I'd be more ambitious if the upper echelons of the game were a true reflection of the fans who support the game, not a reflection of media money and marketing a brand.

Any room for a threesome? I agree and if I look back over all the years of watching Oxford then I think that the best times have always been in the second tier. It’s the “we’re nearly there” feeling when it goes well, but when we get to the top division it’s only a matter of time before we drop down again.

I think it’s the thrill of the chase.

I absolutely loved the “on the up” days of the 80’s but never really enjoyed being in Division 1 the way I expected to. It seemed to go a bit flat for me which I’ve never really understood.

When I hear fans (mainly in the Premier League) going on about how vital it is to stay in the top tier IRRESPECTIVE of the type of football needed to get those all important points I feel a bit sad.

I want to see “my team” trying 100% in an exciting match. If they get beaten by a better team so be it. Just as long as they did their best.

I accept I’m in the minority nowadays with the modern “win at any price” mentality but I don’t care!

I absolutely loved the “on the up” days of the 80’s but never really enjoyed being in Division 1 the way I expected to. It seemed to go a bit flat for me which I’ve never really understood.

When I hear fans (mainly in the Premier League) going on about how vital it is to stay in the top tier IRRESPECTIVE of the type of football needed to get those all important points I feel a bit sad.

I want to see “my team” trying 100% in an exciting match. If they get beaten by a better team so be it. Just as long as they did their best.

I accept I’m in the minority nowadays with the modern “win at any price” mentality but I don’t care!
Totally agree. I’d hate to be a (for example) Watford or Southampton fan who watch a team year after year aiming to stay around mid table with hardly any hope of ever winning anything

I think the fans of premier clubs outside of the top 5/6 have been brainwashed by The owners/Sky that it is so important to stay in the premier league.

Every season they have the mentality that the league is everything and they put out weakened teams in the league and fa cup. Is what their fans really want.

I'd rather be a Wigan win the cup and have a couple of relegations than say Southampton who try and aim to stay in the premier which makes their players and owners loads of money but gets the fans nothing.

Every so often you might get a Leicester but that is very rare

Any room for a threesome? I agree and if I look back over all the years of watching Oxford then I think that the best times have always been in the second tier. It’s the “we’re nearly there” feeling when it goes well, but when we get to the top division it’s only a matter of time before we drop down again.
during those 3 seasons in the old first division ...before the Premiership was created, funded by sky/Murdoch's millions n millions.... biggest crowds attracted to the Manor were 11,000 ish .... personally, I think Oxford United's natural and sustainable level is, should and conceivably could be The Championship...... though things need to change both on field and behind the scenes off field for that to be realised and attained....its very doubtful and unlikely that Championship status is attainable this campaign

I would love you to be right. But looking at what Tiger and his bods did to Reading then it’s more likely he’ll buy the ground, develop the corners into flats, build houses on the rear car park and where the 4th stand should be a few small retail outlets.
It seems to me Tiger and Ka$$am have more in common than bears thinking about.
But let’s see.

I would love us to become a top premier league side, with a whole squad of multi millionaire players, but then I am a house burglar by trade and having 23 mega rich players away for European games regularly would be a great boost to my business plus save me a fortune in petrol.

F*ck the plastic premiershit, my personal hopes for OUFC is for the club to become self sufficient and represent the community proudly.

If that's going between L1 and the championship then that is fine by me. People may say I am lacking in ambition, no I don't want to lose my club to football tourists and the type who will only turn up when we have a big game.

For all the ups and far more downs, I want to keep my OUFC as the club I love and adore.

I personally wouldn’t enjoy the premier league. Just there to make the numbers up without any real hope of achieving anything.

Give me league 1 with the odd visit to the championship for the next 10 years any day.
I’m not sure I’d even enjoy the championship that much as it is turning into a 2nd premier league with the amount of money going around there.

An away day at Plymouth, Pompey, Rovers, Blackpool, Charlton are much more appealing than trips to West Brom, Stoke, Huddersfield, Burnley and Leicester.

We all seem to be overlooking something. We've had a dickhead of a stadium (3 poxy stands) for 18 f*****g 'they laugh their B*****s off' years! If all we get is another stand, then I, for one, will be a lot more happy-f*****g-er. Oh, and some decent players, a bloody good manager and the real possibility of playing in the so-called championship. And can someone buy a dog so that it can run onto the f*****g pitch? Are we going to say 'bye-bye' to curse-him, too?

Back
Top Bottom