Net neutrality - A worrying development?

It's hard to know. I suppose it comes down to the question of if you believe access to the Internet is a human right or not?

It could hurt companies Netflix because if their customers bandwidth is throttled due to their low cost package, they may not want to pay for HD or at all. ISPs in the US are different to here, so there are places where you have no choice but Comcast, Bell (or whoever).

The initial EO from Obama was not perfect and made it easy for Trump's administration to roll it back. Which unsurprisingly, they did.

I think the problem now is that the internet is so necessary to everyday life that it has become a right.

Hopefully we keep the same protections that the EU have.

It's an interesting thought. I'd say the internet isn't a necessary because we can live without it and plenty of people do. Only 40% of the world has an internet connection. I assumed it would be much higher than that.

It's an interesting thought. I'd say the internet isn't a necessary because we can live without it and plenty of people do. Only 40% of the world has an internet connection. I assumed it would be much higher than that.

The 40% that do probably use it 50% of the day and would get withdrawal symptoms without it.

The 40% that do probably use it 50% of the day and would get withdrawal symptoms without it.
Absolutely. But the funny thing is, when I've been on holiday and not been as easily connected as I am at home, once I've adjusted, it's really liberating. Its why my social media stuff is a lot smaller.

Life goes on perfectly well in places like India or Mongolia without posting selfies or whatever on the internet.

I believe we're protected by EU law at the moment. However, even if that wasn't the case, I think the sheer number of companies competing for the market share would prevent this from being much of an issue here.

Maybe not you directly. But your employer, and your bank, and your supermarket, and much else that you interact with couldn't operate without it.

I think the problem now is that the internet is so necessary to everyday life that it has become a right.

Hopefully we keep the same protections that the EU have.

It actually has been declared a right in Estonia, Finland, Greece, France and Spain...all members of the EU of course.

Maybe not you directly. But your employer, and your bank, and your supermarket, and much else that you interact with couldn't operate without it.
They can, because they have in the past. It would be a step back, but they cope quite well in places in the world where you don't get 1G in your mobile phone. We've come to rely on the internet as a conveniece to life.

They can, because they have in the past. It would be a step back, but they cope quite well in places in the world where you don't get 1G in your mobile phone. We've come to rely on the internet as a conveniece to life.
May as well go back to horse and cart whilst we are at it then. And steam power.

Worryingly this does not get the coverage it deserves in the tabloid press, because it doesn't fit very well with the anti EU pro Trump stance. I think we are blindly walking into this one

Worryingly this does not get the coverage it deserves in the tabloid press, because it doesn't fit very well with the anti EU pro Trump stance. I think we are blindly walking into this one
Simple question. What is different today that was different in 2015 when Obama first tinkered with Net Neutrality and made the unilateral change? While Trump has rolled it back, he's not done anything but roll it back. If Obama had sought consensus and got it into legislation, it would have been harder for the Trumpster to do anything about.

To be fair most of the parts of India I’ve been to I’ve always had cracking connection whether WiFi or cellular (I think that’s what it’s called).

I spent a few weeks in Cuba at the start of the year and that’s a different story! There is no/very limited cellular network (Vodafone didn’t work at all) and WiFi is very limited. When you do find a public building with WiFi you log in using a pre paid card which lasts an hour.

I agree with Gary Baldi though at first it was a bit of a shock to the system but I loved not getting notifications come through or messages etc. Once a day or every other day I spent 10-15 mins responding to messages and then that was it. I quite liked it!

Back
Top Bottom