Nelson's replacement?

Pontification

I know people will automatically want to see strikers signed in the offseason but i think nelson's replacement is the crucial signing. Nelson imo has been the best player for OUFC this season and possibly the season before he did his achilles. I think priority lies in getting a left footed/sided centre back who is equally as good in the air as playing out the back, in order to work with dickie and keep a fairly settled back 4. Just want to know people's wishlist, realistic signings or players with potential... although i hope we don't sign another project player like dickie.

I see Dickie as an integral member of our squad. Most of the players signed by Robinson have turned out well.
Unfortunately because of finances Oxford have signed one or two crocks who haven’t turned out as well as we would have all liked. I still recall Jim Smith signing Langan and it being questioned.
Nelson, presumably is going, and will be hard to replace. Now we are staying in L1 that should mean we are going to be able to attract a player keen to come here and play.
We still need two strikers. If and it’s a big if, Sinclair were to sign a permanent deal with us that would be amazing.
I see Brannigan and Henry as being the nucleus of better times ahead

Is Fiachre Kelleher still under contract to us next season? If so, let's see what he can do.
He seems to have been given plenty of game time at Macclesfield, recent stats were excellent and must surely have learnt something from working with Sol Campbell.
Given that he is naturally a left sided CB, it would allow Dickie to move to his preferred right side. And would allow us to put more of our constrained budget towards a 20 goals a season striker!

along with who we might get, I'm worried who else could possibly go. ideally, other than the loans (if we don't get any back), nobody would leave but wonder if Whyte and Brannagen might be tempted away.add to that Eastwood and Henry and we could need players in key areas and be looking at another big rebuild. keep these and get some quality additions and we'll have a decent looking team

along with who we might get, I'm worried who else could possibly go. ideally, other than the loans (if we don't get any back), nobody would leave but wonder if Whyte and Brannagen might be tempted away.add to that Eastwood and Henry and we could need players in key areas and be looking at another big rebuild. keep these and get some quality additions and we'll have a decent looking team
Whyte I believe has a further 2 years to his contract so we should get another year out of him.
Brannaghan the same??
I wonder whether the club may let Henry go IF he is a very high earner as some on here have suggested? Sykes took his place on Saturday and Baptiste will hopefully be back.
My worry is Dickie. One year left on his contract and the club went want him doing a Nelson...

Whyte I believe has a further 2 years to his contract so we should get another year out of him.
Brannaghan the same??
I wonder whether the club may let Henry go IF he is a very high earner as some on here have suggested? Sykes took his place on Saturday and Baptiste will hopefully be back.
My worry is Dickie. One year left on his contract and the club went want him doing a Nelson...

I have a vague memory of the club having a year's option as well on Dickie but could be utterly wrong.

I was informed about the huge progress of Fiarce Kelleher and his contribution at Macclesfield and I hadn't realised how well he has been doing.

He's near the top in all the key areas in League 2 defenders stats, headers won, tackles made, pass completion.

Might be the project player we want to play alongside the senior Dickie.

Just googled Kelleher...i missed this completly, not sure if widely reported?

Mark Beevers
Mark Wilson
David Wheater

All OOC at Bolton

Wheater is on 15k + a week at Bolton. Im sure he is aware he will have to take a pay cut but over 11k a week pay cut might not appeal to him.

I would be extremely cautious about a Dickie/Kelleher partnership. I think Dickie needs more of a sweeper alongside him so that he can attack the ball. Kelleher, from what I've seen / heard is very similar in style to the Dickster. I think it should be one or the other (to start), not both.

Will probably be an OOC player.
But if we have a bit of money George Edmundson at Oldham is very well thought of. Clubs at our level have shown plenty of interest. Only 21 and an ever present. Seen as a future captain.

Back
Top Bottom