Nelson

Agreed. Nelson is patient enough to hold on to the summer.

It would be daft of him to agree any move in January as any fee will impact on his salary and signing on fee.

Up to now Nelson has committed himself to the cause. The problem for any player running down their contract, is another nasty injury could mean leaving in the summer still unfit, without wages and a less attractive proposition for other clubs. As we know the life career of a pro footballer can be cut short unexpectedly, would he take that risk without at least two and a half or three year contract available from a club now Seem to remember Robbo pointing this out in the press sometime back. The more the season goes on,we don’t want to see him hanging back.

I hope he stays, but for security, I feel he will move on this month. If we make a little on his fee all well and good, but the figure of £750 is well wide of the mark. We would be lucky to make a profit on the original cost.

Up to now Nelson has committed himself to the cause. The problem for any player running down their contract, is another nasty injury could mean leaving in the summer still unfit, without wages and a less attractive proposition for other clubs. As we know the life career of a pro footballer can be cut short unexpectedly, would he take that risk without at least two and a half or three year contract available from a club now Seem to remember Robbo pointing this out in the press sometime back. The more the season goes on,we don’t want to see him hanging back.

I hope he stays, but for security, I feel he will move on this month. If we make a little on his fee all well and good, but the figure of £750 is well wide of the mark. We would be lucky to make a profit on the original cost.
Completely agree with only a few months to run his contact is worth tops 200k. With his recent injury record I would be looking to move asap.

£750k for a defender with a few months left on his contract?! Give over!

Reckon he’ll be off for £300k at most.

100% spot on - OUFC have no choice but to sell in January. Now he is worth something. Come the summer, his value will plummet. His agent will be working to get him away for £300-400K and secure a decent weekly wage and signing-on fee at his new club. OUFC may demand £700K plus but have absolutely no bargaining power. Nelson will only stretch this out if he has something already lined up in July

Yep, that's the 2nd time I've heard that plan;)

Think they might get a shock over gate receipts if we struggle in league 2, a lot more stuff to entertain yourself with than the last time we went down from this division, plus money might be tighter after March for a lot.

Interesting quote from Karl Robinson regarding transfer activity in today’s OM. “

Norwood at Tranmere, for instance.

“We’re not in for him, but there’s about 15 clubs who are and he now wants to see his contract out and be a free in the summer.”

Is this the issue with Nelson, I beleive it is and it’s causing an issue with Robinson as although he has been given a budget for this window, it’s nowhere near enough needed to get his first choice targets to sign.

Is this the issue with Nelson, I beleive it is and it’s causing an issue with Robinson as although he has been given a budget for this window, it’s nowhere near enough needed to get his first choice targets to sign.

Possibly, although if Nelson left you'd have to replace him (or you have to have a Raglan/Dickie pairing or bring Mous backwards (!!) ) - and getting a decent comparable centre back wouldn't be cheap. That would certainly be easier in the summer, and easier again if we are still in L1 - which having Nelson stay makes more likely. However you shape it, if the budget isn't big enough to sign the players you want then you have to go after different players!

Oxford can only sell him if he agrees to be sold.
Well that's the chance he's taking.
Survive four months injury free and hope he passes a medical in the Summer.
Or take a move now, get a three year deal at a higher level on more money?

Exactly, if he can get the contract now he has to take it especially after experiencing the Injury he had

If Nelson does leave this month and the solution is to drop Mous back into defence and put Hanson into DM then we might as well all start dusting off our copies of ‘Guide to League 2 Grounds’ now..

Interesting quote from Karl Robinson regarding transfer activity in today’s OM. “

Norwood at Tranmere, for instance.

“We’re not in for him, but there’s about 15 clubs who are and he now wants to see his contract out and be a free in the summer.”

Players playing out their contracts and leaving for free seems to be a bit of a trend now, that way justifying higher signing on fees and wages due to no transfer fees.

This is of course being driven by agents but we moan when a player doesn’t play out his contract now we are moaning because they are!!

The reality is that everything is stacked in the players favour now. Agents have the upper hand and will do whats best for them not always the player! The clubs don't really 'own' players now. There are so many get out clauses etc written in to contracts.

Also reported that once the window closes then hopefully negotiations can start again re renewal of his contract...not withstanding a contract agreed with a higher club and should think the club will hold out for as much as poss. with signing agreed for summer as in Ledson scenario.

Back
Top Bottom