Nelson

If you were him, would you want to stay? Its been a carcrash of a move for him and hell know his next one needs to be right.

I dont blame him one iota. Were an absolute shitstorm.

I did wonder if he was off when he was on the front cover of the last home match. Regardless, his and Dickie's poor form at the beginning of the season was in part put down to eyes being elsewhere and being disgruntled by not being allowed to go. The gamble is if he stays, how interested will he be over protecting himself for the next move? While I don't want to move him on, I think it will be best for all if he does.

He could have said something along the lines of:

“I don’t want to answer questions about my future. There will always be speculation. But right now, I’m an Oxford player and whilst I’m wearing the shirt, all I care about is doing my best for the club and winning games of football.”

A normal, professional, template of an answer that will show him in a positive light and won’t offend or alienate.

It’s been a horrible day for the football club.

Last edited:
If you were him, would you want to stay? Its been a carcrash of a move for him and hell know his next one needs to be right.

Car crash of a move?! ??? Get a grip Kip.

He’s been off to Sunderland since the summer. Apart from the fact that he’s a very good defender entering his prime, a certain somebody would never in a million years pass up the opportunity to have our trousers - or rather our mustard cords - down.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I do wonder what damage the current situation - on and off the pitch - is doing to the rest of the squad. The team is failing on the pitch, a leading player that the younger players probably look up to, is desperate to leave. I wonder what’s going through the mind of a player like Dickie, positionally at least, the closest player to Nelson on the pitch. No wonder his form is suffering a bit. Something, somewhere needs to change. Im concerned that new players coming into the squad will soon be aware of a toxic atmosphere.

2 relegation battles is probably not what he thought he was signing up for.
He came here to either be promoted to the Championship with us, or to be sold after two seasons if we failed. He never, ever planned on being here for three seasons (unless we had been promoted by the final year), and he certainly didn’t bank on two of those seasons being dog fights just to stay up, the second of which may ultimately end in relegation while the club he originally left for us finishes above us for the second season running. I think it’s more than fair to say that in his mind this has been a disastrous move.

A bit of professionalism on his part wouldn't be too much to ask considering he will still be paid a decent wage. A bit of acknowledgement that the club backed him after a major injury wouldn't hurt either.

I have no problem with him not signing a new contract but to say his move to Oxford was a car crash is frankly b*****ks. He has been able to demonstrate his ability in L1 and has been to Wembley.

As long as he gives his all on the pitch (and remains professional off) if he doesn't get a move then fine, I'll wish him all the best in the future like Lego. If he doesn't then he'll be on a par with Dean Windass* for me.

*I can still remember other Oxford players refusing to shake his hand after he kept running away from the ball and cost us a win in his final game. Basically, Windass didn't give a s**t about his existing teammates. The opposite attitude was shown by Phil Gilchrist in similar circumstances, a true professional.

not sure he would think first season or so was disastrous as it got him in public eye a bit more but have no doubt he hasn't enjoyed this season - but to say he hasn't been trying is just plain wrong - one of the only decent performances against the Gas

Wembley final, FA Cup 5th round and challenging for playoffs in his first season. Ending with a move to Sunderland on more money and more than likely championship football. Complete car crash.

Wembley final, FA Cup 5th round and challenging for playoffs in his first season. Ending with a move to Sunderland on more money and more than likely championship football. Complete car crash.
Yes, so one season went largely the way he had hoped - the first one. The second two have been utter, utter disasters, both for him and the rest of us.

Don’t try to dress up a 33% success rate as good.

Yes, so one season went largely the way he had hoped - the first one. The second two have been utter, utter disasters, both for him and the rest of us.

Don’t try to dress up a 33% success rate as good.

Second season was a freak injury. Could have happened at any club.

Great first season, injury second and gets a move to Sunderland halfway through the third and still only 25.

I’m not saying it was perfect, but it’s not exactly a Kane Hemmings or Pat Hoban style failure.

two relegation battles two years running Steve? I love how you spin literally everything

I’m sure he expected more progression but a car crash of a move?! He became captain, was a key player for us and his stock has risen.

A car crash move would be someone like Hoban or Ivo.

Second season was a freak injury. Could have happened at any club.

Great first season, injury second and gets a move to Sunderland halfway through the third and still only 25.

I’m not saying it was perfect, but it’s not exactly a Kane Hemmings or Pat Hoban style failure.
Given his goals and aspirations, it has been a huge disappointment. The other two were just happy to be playing professional football in England.

You can't compare a BMW to a Micra, which is what you're sort of doing on this one. It's been a letdown.

Given his goals and aspirations, it has been a huge disappointment. The other two were just happy to be playing professional football in England.

You can't compare a BMW to a Micra, which is what you're sort of doing on this one. It's been a letdown.

Hoban, perhaps. Hemmings was second top scorer in Scotland and cost around £400K.

Back
Top Bottom