Nelson

MiddleBartonYellow

Should have just sold him.
He obviously isn’t signing the contract that’s been offered, so will go for nothing I would expect.

Who would have paid more then the 280k we paid for him in the summer after his injury?

I too don't expect him to sign a new contract but if he wants a big move in the summer then he will have to prove himself by playing better for us this season.

Should have just sold him.
He obviously isn’t signing the contract that’s been offered, so will go for nothing I would expect.
Quite agree but could you imagine the uproar on here if he had been sold last summer. There would be massive knicker twisting going on if he had gone (ambition, needing to hang on to best players ect). IMO any player with less than 12 months on his contract we should be looking to cash in on. Notice how he has improved after that season when we just missed out on the playoffs then compare it to his centre half partner Chey Dunkley of that season. Really they players aren't in the same league (which they actually aren't!).

The odds have always been stacked against Nelson signing a new contract.

1. He ran down his contract at Plymouth
2. He’s seen other Oxford players eg Dunkley, Rothwell, Lundstram and Ledson all run down their contracts into the final year and then leave for relatively small or no fees.

KR has done the right thing to withdraw the captaincy given the lack of progress re a new contract.

The club needs to rethink how it can prevent this type of thing happening e.g longer initial contracts for key players and begin renewal negotiations much earlier, allowing more time for the player to be sold on the clubs terms if negotiations stall.

I seem to recall Hanson was signed on a 4 year contract, which may mean KR is already on this.

The odds have always been stacked against Nelson signing a new contract.

1. He ran down his contract at Plymouth
2. He’s seen other Oxford players eg Dunkley, Rothwell, Lundstram and Ledson all run down their contracts into the final year and then leave for relatively small or no fees.

KR has done the right thing to withdraw the captaincy given the lack of progress re a new contract.

The club needs to rethink how it can prevent this type of thing happening e.g longer initial contracts for key players and begin renewal negotiations much earlier, allowing more time for the player to be sold on the clubs terms if negotiations stall.

I seem to recall Hanson was signed on a 4 year contract, which may mean KR is already on this.

I think the club's options for an extra year that are currently in place are a good thing, but I reckon when they need to be enacted is when we need to sell them. Three years with an option for a fourth probably sorts the club the best.

Since the injury he seems to have lost the cutting edge that made him look outstanding. He'll need to considerably up his game to earn a move up the pyramid. That said, I hope he considers signing an extension.

I think Nelse has had to adapt more than most to this new system. Robbos set up relies heavily on the CBs to be ballplaying, play starters, always picking up from the keeper and taking up a wide position for a CB. Add to that the widening of the pitch at Kassam (giving them a bigger area to cover) and all of a sudden the demands on him from his time with Mapp are sky high, not just a standard CB. I'm not surprised yesterday was good for him as their narrow pitch and direct style was what he was more comfortable with. I wonder if this has come into play with his contract. Hopefully taking the captaincy off him gives him chance to get used to it as he is improving. To be fair, Mous has made the role his since he came back in the side anyway.

Back
Top Bottom