Neil Merritt

SteMerritt

Staff member
My father, and lifelong Oxford fan, Neil Merritt, unfortunately passed away suddenly last week at the age of 66.

As a LRT lad in the 70s, he travelled all around the country supporting the team, occasionally being caught up in wrong place, notably Middlesbrough where he was in court listening to the old Bill tell porkies on the stand.

He calmed down in the 80s when introducing my brother and me to the club, and we watched the club rise from nearly folding to playing at the top level and winning at Wembley.

Later on he was still encouraging the family to follow the yellow path, sitting with his granddaughter at Wembley last year.

Some top away days with dad over the years. Two stand out. Firstly Dover away in the FA Cup, decided to go at the last minute, horrendous journey but rewarded with a win. And secondly Rotherham away in the cup, driving up the motorway in his tiny car being buffeted by lorries, few drinks then a great cup upset.

He had, as you'd expect, a healthy dislike of Swindon. Last season's win there has proved to be the last trip with him, a fitting finalie.

Rest in peace dad x

Rest in peace Neil.

I am sure that it meant the world to him that he was able to share so many good times at Oxford games with his sons.

A fine man.

We may not have seen eachother often in recent decades but you will be missed by me.

RIP

Mark.

Sorry to hear of your loss but heartening to hear of the good times shared following the club. RIP

RIP Neil.
Ste i unfortunately became a member of this club too 16 months ago and you have my word mate that although you willl never forget him, it does become easier over time. Remember the good times and talk to him often,

Very sad news, Neil was a really nice guy.

Deepest sympathy to all of the family.

Sorry for your loss Steve.

Although we're from a similar era, I don't think I knew your dad, but he sounds as if he moved in similar circles to me. I'm pleased he steered you on the right path toward OUFC though.

RIP Neil.

Sad news Steve, but fantastic memories. RIP Neil.

Thanks for all the comments. Dad read the forum quite regularly and was always interested in the old 'war stories', remembering quite a few. He did wonder how many on here he would recognise from the old days.

Sorry for your loss Steve.

Although we're from a similar era, I don't think I knew your dad, but he sounds as if he moved in similar circles to me. I'm pleased he steered you on the right path toward OUFC though.

RIP Neil.
You would know him Colin, very familiar face on the London Rd.

If you feel comfortable posting a photo stemarritt, I'm sure many people would realise who your dad is.
Once again deppest sympathy.

02.jpg
01.jpg
Couple of pics I have handy. There is a great pic of him at Elland Road for the game in 83/84 Milk Cup run, I'll try to dig it out when I am in Thame next.

Back
Top Bottom