Non-League National League Season Conclusion Proposal

captainox

A very interesting day in the National League, North & South divisions yesterday.
The proposal that has been clubs for finalising the season is as follows:

Final tables for each league finalised using PPG
Top club promoted from each league (Barrow, Kings Lynn, Wealdstone)
Play-offs to take place in the Conference but NOT in North/South divisions
Only the bottom side to be relegated from the Conference (Chorley)
No relegation from North/South divisions (all divisions below had previously been voided)

So the major impacts are:
National League
Barrow confirmed as Champions.
Barnet (in 11th when the season was closed) jump to 7th and take the final play-off spot in the Conference, Stockport lose out. (Harrogate, Notts County, Yeovil, Boreham Wood, Halifax the other teams in the play-offs.
3 of the current relegation zone - Maidenhead, Ebbsfleet and AFC Fylde all avoid relegation.
Chorley who were bottom will be the only team in the whole of non-league to be relegated.

National League North
Kings Lynn (sat 2nd at close) go top on PPG and therefore are promoted as Champions.
York who were top at the close, face another season in the division with the play-offs scrapped.
Brackley, Boston, Altrincham, Chester and Spennymoor are the other teams to miss out on the play-offs.
Bradford PA and Blyth avoid relegation.

National League South
Wealdstone promoted as champions.
Havant, Weymouth, Bath, Slough, Dartford and Dorking miss out on the play-offs.
Braintree and Hungerford avoid relegation.

Apparently the government instructions around return of sport only apply to "elite" leagues, that is leagues that are classed as full-time professional. Conference North & South are therefore not classed as this.
Very tough on York who are of course still a full-time club.

Sad for Stockport and York, who really deserve a place in the league after everything they've been through.

Sad for Stockport and York, who really deserve a place in the league after everything they've been through.
Although they dropped out the football league ages ago, Stockport have been consistently attracting larger crowds than a number of clubs currently in the EFL

• React
Reactions: MJB
So how does that work out in terms of number of teams in each league?
League 1 currently 23: -3 go up to Championship; +3 down from Championship; -3 down to L2, +4 up from L2 = 24 next season
League 2 currently 24. -4 up to L1, +3 down from L1, -1 down to NL, +2 up from NL = 24 next season.
National League currently 24. +1 down from L2; -2 go up to L2; -1 go down to national league north, +2 up from NLN and NLS? = 24 next season?
National League North. currently 22. +1 down from NL. -1 up to NL = 22
National League South. currently 22. -1 up to NL = 21?

So how does that work out in terms of number of teams in each league?
League 1 currently 23: -3 go up to Championship; +3 down from Championship; -3 down to L2, +4 up from L2 = 24 next season
League 2 currently 24. -4 up to L1, +3 down from L1, -1 down to NL, +2 up from NL = 24 next season.
National League currently 24. +1 down from L2; -2 go up to L2; -1 go down to national league north, +2 up from NLN and NLS? = 24 next season?
National League North. currently 22. +1 down from NL. -1 up to NL = 22
National League South. currently 22. -1 up to NL = 21?

Also throw in Bury’s application to rejoin a league somewhere along the line too. Will Macc Town survive as a NL club let alone a L2 one should they stay up?

The lower leagues will always have the moving around of teams into north and south etc leagues but 2020-21 will be a particularly big headache for the authorities.

Also throw in Bury’s application to rejoin a league somewhere along the line too. Will Macc Town survive as a NL club let alone a L2 one should they stay up?

The lower leagues will always have the moving around of teams into north and south etc leagues but 2020-21 will be a particularly big headache for the authorities.

Yes, it will depend on Bury and whether they actually can carry on. There is the phoenix club AFC Bury ready to go into the North West Counties but I think this will also be affected by Bury playing or folding. Unless something dramatic happens I can't see the original Bury surviving as they haven't paid the CVAs that were agreed by the required date (iirc) and I am surprised they haven't been wound up already (unless I missed it). If the original Bury don't survive then I'd assume they'll promote from below with the champions of the various divisions being compared on a PPG basis (I believe they already have a formula they use for play offs etc). I may be wrong but vaguely remember reading South Shields may benefit using the existing formula.

Edit: Also reading some York fans' comments, they weren't very good and reckoned they were only going to fall off even further. It was their excellent start to the season that kept them so high.

Last edited:
There will be the annual re-drawing of the geographical line separating Conf North & South. Where you'll end up seeing Gloucester rejoin the South or similar.

A very interesting day in the National League, North & South divisions yesterday.
The proposal that has been clubs for finalising the season is as follows:

Final tables for each league finalised using PPG
Top club promoted from each league (Barrow, Kings Lynn, Wealdstone)
Play-offs to take place in the Conference but NOT in North/South divisions
Only the bottom side to be relegated from the Conference (Chorley)
No relegation from North/South divisions (all divisions below had previously been voided)

So the major impacts are:
National League
Barrow confirmed as Champions.
Barnet (in 11th when the season was closed) jump to 7th and take the final play-off spot in the Conference, Stockport lose out. (Harrogate, Notts County, Yeovil, Boreham Wood, Halifax the other teams in the play-offs.
3 of the current relegation zone - Maidenhead, Ebbsfleet and AFC Fylde all avoid relegation.
Chorley who were bottom will be the only team in the whole of non-league to be relegated.

National League North
Kings Lynn (sat 2nd at close) go top on PPG and therefore are promoted as Champions.
York who were top at the close, face another season in the division with the play-offs scrapped.
Brackley, Boston, Altrincham, Chester and Spennymoor are the other teams to miss out on the play-offs.
Bradford PA and Blyth avoid relegation.

National League South
Wealdstone promoted as champions.
Havant, Weymouth, Bath, Slough, Dartford and Dorking miss out on the play-offs.
Braintree and Hungerford avoid relegation.

Apparently the government instructions around return of sport only apply to "elite" leagues, that is leagues that are classed as full-time professional. Conference North & South are therefore not classed as this.
Very tough on York who are of course still a full-time club.
Not a bad set of decisions overall I guess..
Barrow were clear, Barnet were 4 pts off the playoffs with 4 games in hand on Stockport // Chorley were detached, 13 points adrift of anyone, 17 from safety.
Kings lynn were 2pts behind York with 2 games in hand / Blyth and Bradford were 9 and 12 points adrift so got lucky I guess.

Non League was actually in the midst of rebalancing numbers at each level, so I would have thought there would have been some scope for still moving some clubs (particularly those clear ahead or adrift) up and down to help that process, plus there were some cases where clubs could not be caught (Jersey Bulls I think) but will not go up, while others barely registered (Wantage I think managed 4 points all season) so again it would be ncie to see these recognised.
Then again, with the possibility of some teams going under completely, then perhaps things will become fluid between levels as the summer progresses.....

Not a bad set of decisions overall I guess..
Barrow were clear, Barnet were 4 pts off the playoffs with 4 games in hand on Stockport // Chorley were detached, 13 points adrift of anyone, 17 from safety.
Kings lynn were 2pts behind York with 2 games in hand / Blyth and Bradford were 9 and 12 points adrift so got lucky I guess.

Non League was actually in the midst of rebalancing numbers at each level, so I would have thought there would have been some scope for still moving some clubs (particularly those clear ahead or adrift) up and down to help that process, plus there were some cases where clubs could not be caught (Jersey Bulls I think) but will not go up, while others barely registered (Wantage I think managed 4 points all season) so again it would be ncie to see these recognised.
Then again, with the possibility of some teams going under completely, then perhaps things will become fluid between levels as the summer progresses.....

Be fair Mooro! The Alfredians amassed a mighty 6 points, half due to a stunning 1-0 win over North Leigh*

*where Henry Landers failed to score

If we win the play offs we will be 4 divisions higher than the team we beat in the conference play off final 10 years later ago, and that’s despite them getting promoted a season or two afterwards.

Why do they deserve a place in the league more than any other club? Because they were once in it? It needs to be earned on merit and I speak as someone who has an affinity for Stockport due to family links with that town.

If we win the play offs we will be 4 divisions higher than the team we beat in the conference play off final 10 years later ago, and that’s despite them getting promoted a season or two afterwards.
Doesn't that just show you what might have been...…..shudder!!

Play-offs now back on the table for Conf North/South apparently. Conference board are woeful.

Play-offs now back on the table for Conf North/South apparently. Conference board are woeful.

Well if anyone could make the football league look slightly less s**t it’s the conference.

Makes you wonder when next season will start though, this one will drag on into August at this rate.

So prior to any official announcements from the NL board, the King's Lynn chairman has recorded a podcast updating on the current situation as he understands it. Absolute shambles it would seem!

So prior to any official announcements from the NL board, the King's Lynn chairman has recorded a podcast updating on the current situation as he understands it. Absolute shambles it would seem!

That's the National League for you!!!!

Vote delayed due to voting forms/options not being sent out apparently according to BBC (via other forums). They must have bought our old fax machine.

Back
Top Bottom