National League play offs

Peterdev

How do these work?
I see that there seem to be six clubs involved rather than four...going by the lines under the second and eighth clubs in the league clubs.
And it seems to be the same for National League South and North

7th play away at the team that finished 4th and 6th away at 5th in one game knockouts, the winners go on to play the teams that finish 2nd and 3rd away in another one game knockout, with the winners of those ties going to Wembley for the final.

It’s a way of keepin the season interesting for more teams in that league, and you could argue at least it rewards the two teams that finish highest in the play off system.

AFC Fylde have hit a bit of form, they beat the leaders, Macclesfield, 6-0 and then won 3-0 next home game and have moved in to the play off places. With Fleetwood, Morecambe, Blackpool all in close vicinity hard to see there is enough population to support 4 league clubs.

Rochdale, Bury and Oldham all have the same problem...

7th play away at the team that finished 4th and 6th away at 5th in one game knockouts, the winners go on to play the teams that finish 2nd and 3rd away in another one game knockout, with the winners of those ties going to Wembley for the final.

It’s a way of keepin the season interesting for more teams in that league, and you could argue at least it rewards the two teams that finish highest in the play off system.

I guess it gives more teams more to go for at the end of the season.

Imagine if there were 6 play off places in league one? We would be in with a shout!

• React
Reactions: Ian
I guess it gives more teams more to go for at the end of the season.

Imagine if there were 6 play off places in league one? We would be in with a shout!
Where does it end though, why not add the next few in as well? Sod it, involve everyone who avoided relegation... Do we really want the team in 8th going up?

Even better, everyone who finishes below 6th place has a relegation play off!

• React
Where does it end though, why not add the next few in as well? Sod it, involve everyone who avoided relegation... Do we really want the team in 8th going up?
I think that the system is fine as it is personally. But I can see why the conference have tried this experiment.

I think that the system is fine as it is personally. But I can see why the conference have tried this experiment.
Yeah, more interest therefore bigger crowds and more money for the clubs, which of course is a good thing. It is at the cost of devaluing the league table though.

Surely three should go up now? The conference has come on a lot in recent years.

Wrexham V Tranmere on Saturday has already sold 8K tickets. Wrexham have been on the conference for 10 years now!

There’s always a team that goes down with a parachute payment that does well, and there always seems to be a ‘new’ team with money who goes up. Meaning it’s extremely difficult for most teams to get a look in.

Meanwhile the same shite clubs keep circling the bottom of league 2 but usually stay up by the skin of their teeth because somebody else had off field problems.

Forest green have struggled this year after coming up, i personally like the gap between non league and the football league being large, having fewer promotion and relegation spots shows that. The football league should be considered a prize above non league, not just one rung up.

I have been quietly laughing at Forest Green this season. Dale Vince has been waving his philosophical willy around for the past few years and come across as exceptionally smug for an owner whose club have done sweet fa in professional football.

Forest green have struggled this year after coming up, i personally like the gap between non league and the football league being large, having fewer promotion and relegation spots shows that. The football league should be considered a prize above non league, not just one rung up.

And that is with Forest Green spending serious wedge over the years.

You could also argue that on the flip side of that Lincoln are doing very well. As have most other teams who have won the conference in recent years.

Hartlepool and Orient are also struggling, which doesn’t suggest there is a huge gap.

You could also argue that on the flip side of that Lincoln are doing very well. As have most other teams who have won the conference in recent years.

Hartlepool and Orient are also struggling, which doesn’t suggest there is a huge gap.

Tbf, Hartlepool are a basket case financially. Leyton Orient were also a basket case because of their previous owner and had been for a few years.

o
Surely three should go up now? The conference has come on a lot in recent years.

Wrexham V Tranmere on Saturday has already sold 8K tickets. Wrexham have been on the conference for 10 years now!

There’s always a team that goes down with a parachute payment that does well, and there always seems to be a ‘new’ team with money who goes up. Meaning it’s extremely difficult for most teams to get a look in.

Meanwhile the same shite clubs keep circling the bottom of league 2 but usually stay up by the skin of their teeth because somebody else had off field problems.

Ah, I imagine the fans of Wrexham, Tranmere etc are dreaming, aspire and would love to be just above half way in Div 1, plenty of goals scored, developing and selling players, wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for League 1 football. Bet they think that would be football heaven with absolutely nothing to moan about.

• React
I have been quietly laughing at Forest Green this season. Dale Vince has been waving his philosophical willy around for the past few years and come across as exceptionally smug for an owner whose club have done sweet fa in professional football.

I've seen him preaching about sustainability left, right and centre. But how sustainable would his football club be if he stopped pumping the money in?

I've seen him preaching about sustainability left, right and centre. But how sustainable would his football club be if he stopped pumping the money in?
And that's it. His ego absolutely loved all the attention and he's forgotten that they really are a village team who will go bust when he gets bored.

Thanks for all the clarication on the play offs.
Forest Green remind me of a modern day Histon who went into reverse a few years ago after saving Steve Fallin.
I’m sure I’m right when I state they could be the first club to be relegated after their maiden season in L2

Back
Top Bottom