Ex Player Nathan Holland

He needs to play regularly at a senior level which he is finally getting. Hopefully this means he is getting stronger as well which helps reduce his injury issues. I fully expect him to develop further which is why I hope we get him permanently.

I’ve never seen what all the fuss is about. I’m sure that places me in a minority. His decision making is poor and I never have confidence in his ability to go past his opponent. He relies on balance rather than pace or tricks, so at times he looks elegant but I’d never be frightened of him if he was lining up against us. He’s a player of occasional moments in the same way that Shodipo was. Maybe that’s enough for KR in this team, but he doesn’t effect the games anywhere near enough.

I’ve never seen what all the fuss is about. I’m sure that places me in a minority. His decision making is poor and I never have confidence in his ability to go past his opponent. He relies on balance rather than pace or tricks, so at times he looks elegant but I’d never be frightened of him if he was lining up against us. He’s a player of occasional moments in the same way that Shodipo was. Maybe that’s enough for KR in this team, but he doesn’t effect the games anywhere near enough.
To be fair though it is hard for a winger to effect the game/control the game in the same way a central midfielder or centre back can because they naturally see less of the ball. Most wingers drift in and out and have moments, I thought Shodipo was pretty good too.

I like Holland I think he’s a decent player but he is inconsistent but then again if he was the finished article he wouldn’t be playing for us in league one he’s replaced shodipo and is chipping in with some goals like shodipo did I’d rather have him or shodipo than barker

He’s a winger and it’s therefore unsurprising that he’s mercurial. However, he does things which wins gets goals and ultimately wins games, so happy to see him in the team sheet. Particularly as he is clearly still developing and responded really well to being dropped earlier this season.

I love watching him play, but as said he needs more games , the stronger he just needs a prolonged period in the team. The way West Ham are playing at the moment, will mean he’s way down the pecking order there, so it’s up to him to prove his worth.
As a winger, we can’t expect to see him score a hatful, but he’s chipping in with a few,.

I personally think both Barker and Shodipo’s performances last season were better than Holland’s this season. He still has plenty of time to come good though, and he’s shown flashes.

He’s more of a wide forward than an out and out winger, starting to look like he will contribute a good amount of goals and assists to the season, definitely worth persisting with on the left for me, at least in tandem with Sykes as both offer something a bit different but neither are 90 minutes week in, week out players.

Nearly all flair/skilled players are a bit hit and miss, especially at this level, but those goals they can get from nothing/very little come in very handy over the course of a season.

Scientific stats say he’s good, in a way I don’t really follow

These guys explain it quite well:

A progressive run is a any carry that moves the play >5 yards upfield in the final third or a single carry into the box (this can be <5 yards).

Holland does this a lot.

These guys explain it quite well:

A progressive run is a any carry that moves the play >5 yards upfield in the final third or a single carry into the box (this can be <5 yards).

Holland does this a lot.
When he gets the ball he puts his head down and goes. I like that. Barker and to an extent Shodipo would go all round the houses and try to beat everyone twice before getting near the box or byline.

I personally think both Barker and Shodipo’s performances last season were better than Holland’s this season. He still has plenty of time to come good though, and he’s shown flashes.
I thought Barker was one of the classiest players we've had in a long time. I seem to remember he wasn't that popular, but when he played we won more matches.

I really like Holland. Progressive is the perfect word for him. When he’s on the ball, he takes us up the pitch and creates space for others. He’s getting stronger and more dangerous all the time, and all the fundamentals are there - pace, technique, directness… for him to become a top player. In the same way players like Dickie and Long needed games to become better players, so does Holland. I’d much rather we kept him permanently and reaped those benefits than someone else. I don’t think he’s as good a player as Whyte or Barker today, but he may well be in the future and I sincerely hope he’s contracted to Oxford United when he realises that potential.

I thought Barker was one of the classiest players we've had in a long time. I seem to remember he wasn't that popular, but when he played we won more matches.
Barker was excellent, but did seem to have an issue concentrating and/or trying. Maybe attitude? Don’t know, but he was certainly a potential Championship player. Someone needs to have a word with him and explain the way his career is likely to go if he doesn’t try harder!

He’s a luxury player, at present. Doesn't do enough out of possession and when in it, is sporadic with his effectiveness. For me, I’m having Sykes over Holland on the left every day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom