General Napa

This video doesn’t truly show the severity of the challenge or the thickness of their player to make it. Still incensed two days on.

Almost feels similar to kicking someone in the head whilst they’re struggling to get to their feet. Sickening.
That's what I was saying before. Kinniburgh in the commentary wasn't sure what had happened and thought it was the way Napa had landed. The tackle is made a lot worse by knowing the consequences of it. If no damage had been done, I doubt anyone would be talking about it now. I'm by no means sticking up for Naismith, he shouldn't have gone in like that, plain and simple. I'm just going by what you see on that TV footage.

Bloody hell - I wasn't there but on that video it looks horrendous. Clearly Naismith was looking to take the player out - what a tosser.

As an ex ref, I can sympathise with the ref on this - When I first saw it, it looked fairly innoculous. It was only when I replayed it that I realised it was a despicable challenge, that should have been awarded a straight red. The ref doesn't have the luxury.

In rugby a player can be cited for violent behaviour - why is this any different? The camera footage give the FA all they need to make the right decision.

Also, while I'm on a rant - It's ridiculous that you get a six-game ban for spitting at someone, yet even if the ref does see thuggery like this, you get just three games for putting a player out of action for most of the season. I'd rather be gobbed at, than be on the receiving end of that assault.

As an ex ref, I can sympathise with the ref on this - When I first saw it, it looked fairly innoculous. It was only when I replayed it that I realised it was a despicable challenge, that should have been awarded a straight red. The ref doesn't have the luxury.

In rugby a player can be cited for violent behaviour - why is this any different? The camera footage give the FA all they need to make the right decision.

Also, while I'm on a rant - It's ridiculous that you get a six-game ban for spitting at someone, yet even if the ref does see thuggery like this, you get just three games for putting a player out of action for most of the season. I'd rather be gobbed at, than be on the receiving end of that assault.
what level did you referee at, and do you think the quality seems to be getting worse in this league ?
(not having a dig at referees, just would be interesting to get a view from someone familiar with it)

Last edited:

cheers for the insight @boogaloo ... can you enlighten as to why it appears different referees appear to instruct and for that matter accept or ignore input from their assistant referees? shouldnt there be a consistant standard applied by the team of match officials at every level?

cheers for the insight @boogaloo ... can you enlighten as to why it appears different referees appear to instruct and for that matter accept or ignore input from their assistant referees? shouldnt there be a consistant standard applied by the team of match officials at every level?
A good referee should always consult assistant refs if in doubt. If in mind I was certain of a decision but players started surrounding me angrily, especially if the match hasn't been heated until then, there is no harm in stopping play and having a chat with your assistants to see if they have seen anything untoward.

Although modern technology means that RAs now use electronic flags. If the RA wants to get the refs attention they press a discrete buzzer on the handle of the flag. The ref would be wearing an armband which would vibrate, and then he/she gone jog over and have a chat. All designed to quell a hostile crowd. Maybe the RA didn't see anything either (or wasn't watching the game)

what level did you referee at, and do you think the quality seems to be getting worse in this league ?
(not having a dig at referees, just would be interesting to get a view from someone familiar with it)
It was grass-roots pub league level. I'm no Collina by any means, but gave me an appreciation into how difficult it can be!

Difficult to say if the quality is getting worse, but with all the money involved gamesmanship and play-acting has gone up, which means sometimes genuine misconduct can regrettably go unpunished. Plus there is a lot more scruitiny from 'pundit's like Alan Shearer who love nothing more than to moan about refs. Give me Jimmy Hill any day!

It was grass-roots pub league level. I'm no Collina by any means, but gave me an appreciation into how difficult it can be!
haha cheers. appreciate it must be a hard job at times but the standard does seem to be rather low over last few seasons.

A good referee should always consult assistant refs if in doubt. If in mind I was certain of a decision but players started surrounding me angrily, especially if the match hasn't been heated until then, there is no harm in stopping play and having a chat with your assistants to see if they have seen anything untoward.

Although modern technology means that RAs now use electronic flags. If the RA wants to get the refs attention they press a discrete buzzer on the handle of the flag. The ref would be wearing an armband which would vibrate, and then he/she gone jog over and have a chat. All designed to quell a hostile crowd. Maybe the RA didn't see anything either (or wasn't watching the game)
thanks for that @boogaloo .... it does seem that some (a lot of whom are imposed to officiate OUFC matches ... !) are not 'good referees' judging by the little/ minimal consultation we see at U's games sadly

Sometimes the linesman may be having a quick look on the defensive line and any potential pending offside (if P'boro were just winning the ball) -that is giving benefit of doubt! But should the 4th official have intervened and give his judgement as it was more directly in front of him?

Back
Top Bottom