General Napa

They said last night that there was a visible lump, so it'll be more than a hairline fracture. Probably a snapped tibia as they said his shin got a whack. I hope he makes a full recovery and that he's our early season long-term injury, as we always seem to get one, although last year we had a few on that list.

This is the type of tackle and result that should be retrospectively reviewed for punishment. Plus, I’d get the ref punished for not dealing with it on the field. Wishful thinking but it makes my blood boil thinking about what does and doesn’t get punished.

This is the type of tackle and result that should be retrospectively reviewed for punishment. Plus, I’d get the ref punished for not dealing with it on the field. Wishful thinking but it makes my blood boil thinking about what does and doesn’t get punished.
celebrate scoring too vigourously = yellow card

break a fellow professional footballers leg in an after the whistle has gone, with a (literally) hospital 'challenge' = not even a word said by the match official ( shouldve been a straight red card IMO)

Wrong, wrong , wrong

No input (that I saw from either assistant, or the 4th official, Yates should be suspended from refereeing

Naismith should be on a minimum 6 match ban too ... even if its imposed retrospectively
but, think we all know the FA will live up to their initials and as per, do absolutely FA to the ref or player retrospectively, despite the evidence! ( more likely to take action against last
nights U's skipper for his comments post-match)

Last edited:
Interesting that they omitted it from the extended highlights, yet they showed the late tackle on Sykes.
hope that Meridian and BBC South both show that late after the whistle challenge, in their sport 'news' sections on tv this evening

A case for an effective VAR perhaps?

Why cannot the clubs video evidence (because there will be some) be used to sue either the tackler, the posh or maybe even the match officials (all three IMHO) for Napa's loss of earnings?

Just askin.

just the goal on Meridian ... not even a mention of that late , legbreaking, tackle by Naismith!

I hope that the club are making some sort of complaint about the tackle late and no intention to get the ball and standard of refereeing to not even give a card.The lad who done it needs it doing back to him but both legs broken. That will teach him.

Really sorry for the lad why do we seem to get bad injuries at the start of the season!

A case for an effective VAR perhaps?

Why cannot the clubs video evidence (because there will be some) be used to sue either the tackler, the posh or maybe even the match officials (all three IMHO) for Napa's loss of earnings?

Just askin.
What? How can a match official be held to account in this manner? How can they stop a player going in too hard for a challenge before the event? Even if they red carded the player at the time after the tackle, it doesn't help the affected party. You'd see even less match officials if this was introduced leading to a lower level of competence (!) - imagine that! Utter nonsense I'm afraid.

If a player wilfully goes to injure a player today and succeeds, they could already be done for assault or worse and any quantum could then follow via due legal process. Such an instance though is very very rare and also tricky to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

As Robbo said to the linesman (assistant ref!!) - "it's your job to protect the players and you've f*****g failed that boy. You should be f*****g ashamed!"

He then said to Faz about the fourth official - "keep that useless c**t away from me before I get in anymore f*****g trouble!"

I know this was the thing that some disliked about him last year, but I'd hate to see Robbo lose that passion and fight even if I spend 2 hours telling my little girl to close her ears!!!

Ifollow has the whole match recording available. The 'challenge' on Napa is at approx 19m40s. Horrible one on Sykes earlier too which could have ended up worse.
Ah thanks, didn't realise you could watch the whole game. The tackle looked quite innocuous really, he came in hard and whacked the ball and then Napa. If he heard the whistle first he could have pulled out of it, my feeling is that, like many players do, he heard the whistle and went to blast the ball in frustration, catching Napa with the follow through. Whether it was intentional is anybody's guess.

When you compare that with the foul on Sykes shortly afterwards, that one looks much worse yet didn't cause any lasting damage.

Ah thanks, didn't realise you could watch the whole game. The tackle looked quite innocuous really, he came in hard and whacked the ball and then Napa. If he heard the whistle first he could have pulled out of it, my feeling is that, like many players do, he heard the whistle and went to blast the ball in frustration, catching Napa with the follow through. Whether it was intentional is anybody's guess.

When you compare that with the foul on Sykes shortly afterwards, that one looks much worse yet didn't cause any lasting damage.

Napa is obviously off balance (near enough on all fours) and their number 2 just smashes the ball at him and follows through as well. I'm sure he'd claim differently, but I'm pretty certain he knew he was going to hurt Napa going in like that. Maybe not to the extent that he did, but even so why did he feel the need to do it? If it was Moore I doubt he'd have been as 'brave' as he was going in like he did.

FWIW I think that type of challenge should be restrospectively reviewed and appropriate punishment given.

I don't think anything can really be done about the officials, other than maybe educating them why the retrospective action has been taken.

Also, talk of VAR - no, just no. Keep that sodding thing out of proper football please.

Wallop - you are right of course (re: officials being held responsible) It can't happen for the very reasons you identify.

Nonetheless, officials should be held to account for their actions (or non actions) in such cases. It's not the first time at the Kashstad officials have been guilty of such appalling indecisions. (Potter and the aptly named O'Toole for example). They should be made to explain why the made, or didn't make, contentious decisions. VAR is a source of evidence

In our increasingly litegious society, where people are being sued for simply 'offending' someone's sensitivity, surely physical assault ought to be taken more seriously?

Just my personal opinion of course...

6 months is absolutely extreme.

The bone will have healed with or without surgery in 6 weeks, with modern physio and rehab facilities match fitness in 3 months is possible.

Far less disruptive than ligament injuries.
That’s a big assumption. It all depends on the type of break and where it is in relation to the blood supply and what method is used to help reunite the bone.

As an example I had an extremely bad break and it took nearly 2 years to heal and I nearly ended up having the leg amputated when the bone wouldn’t unite. Fortunately I managed to pay for pioneering stem cell surgery privately, along with an alternative method of fixation which saved the day.

Hopefully Napa’s break isn’t as serious of course.

I find it outrageous Peterborough haven’t provided any supportive comments today, especially when it was their player who was entirely responsible for it.

That’s a big assumption. It all depends on the type of break and where it is in relation to the blood supply and what method is used to help reunite the bone.

As an example I had an extremely bad break and it took nearly 2 years to heal and I nearly ended up having the leg amputated when the bone wouldn’t unite. Fortunately I managed to pay for pioneering stem cell surgery privately, along with an alternative method of fixation which saved the day.

I find it outrageous Peterborough haven’t provided any supportive comments today, especially when it was their player who was entirely responsible for it.
Sadly such comments could be used by an overzealous lawyer (if it came to that) to suggest guilt on the part of the aggressor so the standard advice will be ‘say nothing’.

Hopefully Ferguson or Naismith may have made private enquiries.

celebrate scoring too vigourously = yellow card

break a fellow professional footballers leg in an after the whistle has gone, with a (literally) hospital 'challenge' = not even a word said by the match official ( shouldve been a straight red card IMO)

Wrong, wrong , wrong

No input (that I saw from either assistant, or the 4th official, Yates should be suspended from refereeing

Naismith should be on a minimum 6 match ban too ... even if its imposed retrospectively
but, think we all know the FA will live up to their initials and as per, do absolutely FA to the ref or player retrospectively, despite the evidence! ( more likely to take action against last
nights U's skipper for his comments post-match)
Sadly such comments could be used by an overzealous lawyer (if it came to that) to suggest guilt on the part of the aggressor so the standard advice will be ‘say nothing’.

Hopefully Ferguson or Naismith may have made private enquiries.
They could easily have said something like ‘We never like to see a player with a serious injury, we hope it’s not too serious and we wish him a speedy recovery’. Nothing liable in that.

I find it astounding that neither BBC or ITV local (use that term loosely!) news sports slots didnt even mention that Napa had been injured ... Id put money on (and I dont gamble) had it happened to any of the 'south' based prem club players, or a Pompey or Reading player, both channel local news sport reporters would be all over it with indignant apoplexy! ... yet absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, not a bleedin' sausage about Napa...thats nearly as disgraceful as the challenge itself and match official Yates failure to take any action IMO

Back
Top Bottom