Ex Player Napa farmed out

why have a new u23 set up to develop players in house, then farm em out ?

...a practice in recent seasons that has not yet resulted in a player OUFC have farmed out on loan coming 'home' and subsequently made a major impact on our first team.... I genuinely hope to be proved wrong and assets loaned out do indeed come back and establish themselves in the first team.... aint holding me breath on that, as its not happened yet with ANY player OUFC have loaned out so far!

...apart from Napa himself last season you mean, who we recalled and stuck in the first team 10 times?

Being loaned to a team two divisions higher is a testament to his progress.

Napa was good enough last season to get in our first team. This season with the new players we have, he is not. He is however too good to be in U23 games and therefore needs first team football to continue progressing. Being on loan in league 2 will accelerate that development quicker than being a fringe first team player for us. Why is this being questioned???

For heaven's sake....being loaned out is a long established stepping stone for young players looking to make their way in the game.
As has been said above, Joey went out on loan. So did David Beckham. And Harry Kane (four times!).

The keys to it actually been a positive part of player development, and not a route out of the club are:
1) The loan is to a level where the player is going to get experience that is not too far below and therefore relevant to the level of the parent club. So heading to Oxford City - bad sign. Heading to a League Two club - good sign.
2) The player actually gets to play week in, week out. This one we'll watch and see........

But given our signings, a loan for Napa is a no-brainer and exactly the best thing for the player and the club at this stage.
If he rips it up in League Two, then hopefully he'll be back in January and pushing for the first team squad. If he doesn't......well, maybe he isn't good enough for our first team right now.

Napa was good enough last season to get in our first team. This season with the new players we have, he is not. He is however too good to be in U23 games and therefore needs first-team football to continue progressing. Being on loan in league 2 will accelerate that development quicker than being a fringe first team player for us. Why is this being questioned???
probably me questioning it @AscotYellow ..... as it stands, ( and I've sort of explained my whys n wherefores in previous posts on this thread) I don't like how loaning out players tends to turn out , especially as our homegrown, local talent has seemed to be loaned out, maybe even loaned out again, and then offloaded.... as I've said already I really do hope loaning out assets, such as Napa, sees them return fitter, faster meaner n leaner and hungrier to break into our first team...... sadly the whole loan em out system in lower league clubs appears to very often see youngsters talked up by their manager/ coach, only then to be dispensed with 6 months or so later ...... I disagree @tonyw that being loaned out is not a long established stepping stone for players looking to make their way in the game, certainly at L1/ L2 level .... It, the loaning out, has a modicum of success for younger players on the books of Premiership and Championship clubs, only a modicum though....whereas at L1/L2 level it rarely ends well for those being loaned out ....at least that's how it has been for a while .... hopefully it'll change, and soon. ,,,,, Nothing better than seeing our own local lads coming through the ranks to become first-team regulars

For at least the time being I am suspicious of any young talent on OUFC books being loaned out .... to reiterate , I genuinely do hope KR proves me wrong by farming out young talent and they come back to both demand and command a regular first-team place....... I've not, as yet, seen much of that convinces me that L1/L2 clubs loaning players out, purportedly for experience, is good for those players.

The theory behind the loan systems is a good one, in practice IMO it's not convincing, not for me ... there again I'm an old cynic about most things anyway :)

Last edited:
As suggested earlier, we loan players in and are panicking their parent club will recall them in January. We loan a player out and panic that he'll never play for us again.

As suggested earlier, we loan players in and are panicking their parent club will recall them in January. We loan a player out and panic that he'll never play for us again.
nail on the head (well, partially) @06russ ;)

I really don’t understand how anyone can moan at this.
We secure him to a long term contract which shows how highly rated the club think of him.
Having an U23 squad is great for developing players who are unknown to their first team ability and forging a pathway for the 18’s but the games aren’t the same as competitive first team matches. They don’t have the same intensity or pressure to win like a first team match does.
For Napa to develop further he needs regular first team games in a competitive league. Playing in league 2 will do that. U23 games won’t. He will come back a better player.
Remember Holmes is only here for 6 months. Napa could be ready to step it up for us once he goes.

I do agree with Tony that this is not an Oxford City type loan.
KR appears to rate Napa. He is playing in the Division below so go on Napa prove yourself and tear the Division apart.
If he does very well then he will be in with a shout of coming back into the first team squad. If he doesn't as others have said, he isn't ready yet.

I really don’t understand how anyone can moan at this.
We secure him to a long term contract which shows how highly rated the club think of him.
Having an U23 squad is great for developing players who are unknown to their first team ability and forging a pathway for the 18’s but the games aren’t the same as competitive first team matches. They don’t have the same intensity or pressure to win like a first team match does.
For Napa to develop further he needs regular first team games in a competitive league. Playing in league 2 will do that. U23 games won’t. He will come back a better player.
Remember Holmes is only here for 6 months. Napa could be ready to step it up for us once he goes.
Here's hoping thats correct @DenisSmithsWig I sincerely hope so :)

I would suggest the difference with ashby and Roberts loans were that they were last chances for them to show they can cut it and evidently they failed

I would suggest the difference with ashby and Roberts loans were that they were last chances for them to show they can cut it and evidently they failed
hope youre right and Napa returns to make a serious impact @AscotYellow

thing is, and sort of my general point re 'our' young prospects being loaned out..... how can the likes of Ashby and Roberts hope to impress their parent club ( OUFC) when theyre invariably treated like square pegs in round holes , and subjected to the ideas of the loan clubs manager/ coach and assistants, which would I guess, be considerably different in the way how players (young ones!) are treated, encouraged and similar than they would be at OUFC..... hence my concerns of the loan system for players on L1/L2 club books

hope youre right and Napa returns to make a serious impact @AscotYellow

thing is, and sort of my general point re 'our' young prospects being loaned out..... how can the likes of Ashby and Roberts hope to impress their parent club ( OUFC) when theyre invariably treated like square pegs in round holes , and subjected to the ideas of the loan clubs manager/ coach and assistants, which would I guess, be considerably different in the way how players (young ones!) are treated, encouraged and similar than they would be at OUFC..... hence my concerns of the loan system for players on L1/L2 club books

It'll be good to have him playing in different ways, under different coaches with other points of view. New tips and tricks, new mentors.

Managers change within a club, so do systems and tactics. Some players at our club have played different systems under Appleton, Clotet, and Robinson. If he can't get his head round other ways of playing, he's not going to be successful anyway.

These days, at least, we won't loan players out to anyone who will take them. Due diligence will be done on the club to make sure they play in a way that will enable progression. I think it's a moot point though, chances are that a player at a club more than a year or two will play under more than one manager anyway. In the youth system, a single coach doesn't stay with a group as they progress through the age groups, getting them exposed to different ideas and coaching methods is part of development.

Napa needs first team football - like every young player. 6 months living away from home should help mature him and develop his game. It's win for them and it's a win for us.

No issues with thus - he is a prospect, but that’s all at the moment. This loan is perfect- if he does well it will re-enforce the optimism and if he doesn’t we will know he isn’t up to it

Back
Top Bottom