General Yesteryear

West Oxon U’s

F-kNfS0XUAAww23

Saw this on Twitter - love these old pics. Ian Rush scoring for Chester
at Sealand Road in 1980. Rush scored against Oxford in both league
games in 1979-80.

Last edited:
Yep, that's Briggsy arriving a nano-second too late, and Joe Cooke.

1979 I won the top prize, which was a massive fiver, in the Sunday People 'Top That' competition for being their only reader who knew that Joe Cooke was UK Football's first black Club Captain. [Or at least their only reader who knew that and bothered to enter their competition].
Came to us as a striker and we converted him to a pretty decent centre back.

An all red away kit that season:

https://oxfordkits.com/1979.html
I love that home shirt, really evokes nostalgia as it was while they were wearing it that I started supporting. My dad finally succeeded in persuading me to support my local team instead of supporting Liverpool, after I started going along to watch live football I never looked back, my blood turned yellow and blue. I remember the likes of Cooke, Jeffrey, Hodgson, Fogg, Taylor and also the emergence of Brock. Great memories..

Kevin Brock scored his first United goals in 1980 - his first was against Swindon at the Manor.

He was a very talented youngster who came into the team when it was really struggling.

When did Keith Cassells sign for us? Remember him being one of my first Oxford heroes. Him and Foley tearing Brighton a new one in an FA cup game. Think we won 3-0..?
About 1980?
He was a great player for us. Scored loads in the old Div 3.
I remember being extremely pd off when we sold him to Southampton for about £150k. We also got one of Southampton's cast offs as part of the deal.......Trevor Hebberd! So it worked out quite well for us in the end.....

When did Keith Cassells sign for us? Remember him being one of my first Oxford heroes. Him and Foley tearing Brighton a new one in an FA cup game. Think we won 3-0..?
About 1980?
He was a great player for us. Scored loads in the old Div 3.
I remember being extremely pd off when we sold him to Southampton for about £150k. But we also got one of Southampton's cast offs as part of the deal.......Trevor Hebberd! So it worked out quite well for us in the end.....

Was that the cup game where we were under the floodlights, and it was a battlefield after the game all over that park?

Not sure about the floodlights but could’ve been. It was a Saturday afternoon though.

Was that the cup game where we were under the floodlights, and it was a battlefield after the game all over that park?

That was definitely a Saturday afternoon game. Brighton were in the old 1st division an we were in the 3rd. We totally overran the place before and after the game. I remember the police making all the skinheads take their steel toe cap boots off as they wouldn’t let them in the ground with them on! Also Capn Bob wanted to land his helicopter on the pitch before the game and Brighton told him to fook off ?

Cassells was sensational for us that season. Anyone remember the song we had for him to the tune of a British airways commercial at the time-we will take more care of you keith cassells etc

Struggling but the number 6 May be Colin Greenall (spelling?). I do recall having Foyle and Saunders up front which reassured me that we'd be straight back into the top flight under Lawrenson's management. Then Captin Bob at Derby decided he needed a forward, pulled little Kevin's strings and all unravelled very, very quickly!

Back
Top Bottom