Music Oxford have run out to

joeheadland

Hey guys,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris

Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine

articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and

replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and

).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have

run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Oxford have run out to, for as

many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in

the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons

Oxford ran out to this. Any help you can give us to

piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would

be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs

being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song

that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the

tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any

questions, please let us know! We would be very happy to discuss the

project.

Thanks for your time guys,

Joe Headland

Banana Splits theme. Can't remember exactly but it was early-mid 2000's I think.

Kings of Leon -have no idea what the song was as I can't stand the song!
Gary Glitter in 90s at least - no idea what the song is called

So not very helpful :ROFLMAO:

Kings of Leon -have no idea what the song was as I can't stand the song!
Gary Glitter in 90s at least - no idea what the song is called

So not very helpful :ROFLMAO:

It was Use Somebody by Kings of Leon I believe. Very strange choice I always thought seeing as it has a relatively slow tempo and is hardly anthemic or iconic (or indeed very good like most of Kings of Leon’s output after their second album!)

Perhaps Ryan can shed some light on who at the club at the time deemed this as a suitable song to do battle with various part-timers in the fifth tier!

Welcome to the Jungle by G&R has been used there or thereabouts.

Can`t beat Smoke on the Water at Leicester Tigers though! ?

A pretty odd brass/military band version of 'Yellow Submarine' is used currently.

Club foot by Kasabian has been used.

That Show Me Love cover has been used recently, has it not?

“The boys are back in town“ by “Thin Lizzy”, played when we finally managed to get out of non league football...
Sham 69 was always one of my favourite.....

“The boys are back in town“ by “Thin Lizzy”, played when we finally managed to get out of non league football...
Sham 69 was always one of my favourite.....

if memory serves first played before the relegation to non league albeit in that season that ended with Orient at home... it was Peterborough ( I think) at home, Nick Merry fronted consortium had taken control and installed Jim Smith as manager, it was his first game (back) in the hot seat.... prior to the players coming out pre match, Rosie announced, 'ladies & gentlemen, the eagle has landed' , followed by Thin Lizzy - The boys are back in Town and the teams as well as Jim Smith arriving via the tunnel,..... after not being able to buy a win for a while, the U's won 1-0

Ron Atkinson was at the game as part of a TV series called ( I thinK0 Big Ron , Football manager? (or something similar?)

Yellow submarine!

The music played prior to and when the teams run/walk to is pretty poor and uninspiring/non motivational e.g. to get the crowd upbeat etc.

Just feel we’re low down in the league in this area with the audio system not helping.

Coldplay - Yellow.
Apparently one of the reasons we were so bad that year we were relegated from League 1/Divison 2/3rd tier. Another was that murky domino kit. Nothing to do with Kemp of course.

With no disrespect to anyone who's a fan. But if you were stood in the tunnel and Yellow by Coldplay started playing would it inspire you to play your heart out.
Coldplay suck
As kids used to say

Last edited:
With no disrespect to anyone who's a fan. But if you were stood in the tunnel and Yellow by Coldplay started playing would it inspire you to play your heart out.
Coldplay suck
As kids used to say

They could play Don’t Panic instead?

Back
Top Bottom