Ex Player Mr Wilder

Probably worth me adding, by the way, that the ‘kit man’ also went so above and beyond it wasn’t even funny. He was essentially the masseuse and the strength and conditioning coach as well, and a dietician of sorts for good measure, because there was nobody else and there were absolutely no resources to do it any other way.

So if they’re reading this and thinking I’m a cheeky git for calling them the kit man... sorry mate!

Absolutely delighted he’s coming back for the 09/10 anniversary dinner.
Totally agree. I was pleasantly surprised when I read that but it is very good that he is coming back.
Malcolm Shotton seemed very hurt for a few years after being fired as manager, but now refers to Oufc as 'us' and seems to have remembered the good times.
Hopefully CW will remember and be remembered for the huge task of getting us out of the Conference.

I was the one who put the match packs together that he’s talking about. Wilder had absolutely nobody bar a couple of coaches, a physio and a kit man. There was nobody else, and we trained at basically a cricket pavilion. That’s why I’ve always said he did an amazing job here, because I was just the junior in the media department and I was putting together tactic sheets and compiling the scouting reports. That’s how little help he had and therefore how much credit he has to take for dragging us out of our darkest hour.

Forget the bloke outside of that or whatever else, anything he said that was out of order etc etc, as a manager he performed miracles at times. It ended badly and was probably overdue but he left us top of the league with a terrible squad he’d been forced to put together on a shoestring. What happened after he left showed exactly how good he was.

Nothing bad to say about him, personally. I know others will disagree but he was good to me as an individual and he did a good job as manager of the team for several years.
I dont think you can overstate what he did for this club. We were utterly on our a**e. He
Totally agree. I was pleasantly surprised when I read that but it is very good that he is coming back.
Malcolm Shotton seemed very hurt for a few years after being fired as manager, but now refers to Oufc as 'us' and seems to have remembered the good times.
Hopefully CW will remember and be remembered for the huge task of getting us out of the Conference.
What Wilder did was so much more than just get us out of the conference. He gave the club its soul back. Built a team fans could identify with, went to battle with anyone (Di Canio) and gave us some amazing days. Its a tragedy he didnt leave an absolute hero.

If you speak to anyone who knows him they will tell you he hasnt changed one iota even as a premiership gaffer. My brother lives in sheffield and has encountered Wilder in local football and socially, and hes exactly as always was. Spiky, sociable, likes a pint and an absolutely outstanding leader of men.

Just dont nick his pasta.