Moving on

Big Ronaldo

Much as I would love to live in the wondrous bubble that was Lincoln away, it is time to move on.?
Wednesdays match is a nice bonus for the players and the club to test themselves against what I presume will be a West Ham side sprinkled with players fresh from beating manure.

As a pointer to where we are as a team, I think neither Saturdays beanfeast or tomorrow’s free hit will give us clarity in what we, as fans can expect from this side.
3 clean sheets and 9 goals in the last three feels good but is offset by the mixed bag that preceded it.
Perhaps we will need to wait until after the Gillingham game on Saturday to really take stock.
We could be onto something special but, then again, we are Oxford!?

The last three games have been adequate, abysmal and superlative in that order. Inconsistency all round. The next three or four matches will give us a better idea of where we are.

Phoooo. Yep, I'm with Mr Rompy on this. Two, no three reasons: teams that work us out and press like motherfuckers will be a probem specially if they've got big direct attackers, heaven knows what innovation Mr Robinson will come up with (e.g. playing with no RB is kinda fun when it works but....) and finally while it looks like we may yet turn out to have pace up top our defence is mega-brittle - with ony 2 CBs and Mousinho (can he be a false CB?) we will struggle to put a back four out at all for stretches of the season.

Otherwise we're invincible.

The last three games have been adequate, abysmal and superlative in that order. Inconsistency all round. The next three or four matches will give us a better idea of where we are.

Yep, I have no idea what to think.

FFS Cheer up you lot. Yes we are Oxford , Yes we are inconsistent, yes we have deficiencies, but enjoy the moment (whilst and if it lasts )
I am fully aware of "false dawns" etc but Saturday night felt good, as did Sunday........ More of the same please?

Last season we won 15, drew 15 and lost 16, so it bears repeating that this season is really no different to the last.
Consistently inconsistent, as they say.

Do you mean results or performances ? Tranmere was a super result and a decent, did what we had to do, performance. Certainly more than your description of adequate. Bolton away was a clean sheet and a point against a rejuvenated side (hence the Sunderland result). A useful away point and a clean sheet certainly exceeds ‘abysmal’. Saturday, I agree, was a superlative performance.

Do you mean results or performances ? Tranmere was a super result and a decent, did what we had to do, performance. Certainly more than your description of adequate. Bolton away was a clean sheet and a point against a rejuvenated side (hence the Sunderland result). A useful away point and a clean sheet certainly exceeds ‘abysmal’. Saturday, I agree, was a superlative performance.

I was surprised by the Bolton description.
I didn't see it. Was it really that bad?

I was surprised by the Bolton description.
I didn't see it. Was it really that bad?
'Abysmal ' in my view is a massive overstatement.
Wigan at home was abysmal. Lincoln on Saturday may suggest that their performance was abysmal.
But a 0 0 draw at Bolton? Who then very nearly beat Sunderland?
We should have won based on their assumed lack of organisation and fitness levels. Most I would suggest now realise that they have some very decent players.

If winning 3-0 at home is only adequate then I’m really not sure you are going to enjoy many more games this season!
Also I don’t buy into the fact fans should ‘move on’ from the record win on Saturday. I mean we still have people going on about what a disaster Bolton was (it wasn’t when you actually look at the bigger picture).

Supporting a lower league football club doesn’t bring too much happiness so when we have just had a 6-0 win then I think fans should enjoy the moment.

Did we have a thread telling fans to move on from the 7-1 defeat to Wigan? No, there was weeks of unrest (rightly so) due to it.

Moving on....no way, it was a six goal win away from home, I’ll come down to earth when we next lose and not a minute sooner, just enjoy it ,these results are few and far between .

If you look at the stats sunderland were unlucky not to win at Bolton. We were lucky to get a point. A big difference.

If you look at the stats sunderland were unlucky not to win at Bolton. We were lucky to get a point. A big difference.
Mmm. It depends on which way you look at that.
A very fortuitous 94th minute penalty from Sunderland and they were 'unlucky'?
A lot if their fans have suggested that they were pretty lucky on their forums

Our performance at Bolton was quite poor but no way would I describe it as "abysmal". I think an abysmal performance would lead to lots of goals conceded. And I don't think our defence has looked anywhere near mega brittle over the last three games. Surely not with three clean sheets.
Talk about moving on, I don't think some people have moved on from the Milk Cup Final. :)

Whilst it's fun and all trying to decide whether we were abysmal or just poor against Bolton, and whether we were adequate or actually pretty good against Tranmere.....

…..can't we just all agree on the main point of this thread, which is that we're extremely inconsistent!?!

And then wouldn't it be better to try and speculate on the why?

Such as - as Paul C mentioned earlier - are we susceptible to sides that go for the Klopp-esque high press (as Bolton did, relentlessly)? Because we like to pass and move, and pick up the ball in space and drive with it, but if that space is taken away, we're liable to start making mistakes (because we're a League One side after all). So what can we then do to improve when the opposition forces us to play more direct football?

Whilst it's fun and all trying to decide whether we were abysmal or just poor against Bolton, and whether we were adequate or actually pretty good against Tranmere.....

…..can't we just all agree on the main point of this thread, which is that we're extremely inconsistent!?!

And then wouldn't it be better to try and speculate on the why?

Such as - as Paul C mentioned earlier - are we susceptible to sides that go for the Klopp-esque high press (as Bolton did, relentlessly)? Because we like to pass and move, and pick up the ball in space and drive with it, but if that space is taken away, we're liable to start making mistakes (because we're a League One side after all). So what can we then do to improve when the opposition forces us to play more direct football?

I suspect if you were to analysis the form of all L1 teams this season there’s a strong case that the vast majority are inconsistent. They all win some, draw some and lose some and within that play well, averagely and crap. The trick is to keep the average and crap to a minimum.
To improve when the opposition forces us to play more direct we probably need a different type of player up front than we’ve currently got on the books.
As for going long, I’ve just looked up the stats. Against Lincoln 71 long passes, against Bolton 72 long passes and against Tranmere 69. That shows not much difference whether we were being pressed or not.

Back
Top Bottom